New timetable

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They will have about $5million for the next two years, not 0.
This is true. And the Association of Oregon Rail and Transit Advocates maintains on their website that $5 million dollars sets up a shut-down scenario for the Willamette Valley service.

There are a number of changes and outright improvements in the schedules. Someone may want to put together a list.

The Vermonter is finally changing its schedule with the new route in MA, taking 27 minutes off of the trip time north of SPG southbound. In the new timetable, #55/#57 departs St. Albans at 9:25 AM, arrives SPG at 2:40 PM, departs SPG the same time at 2:50 PM. Northbound, arrives at St. Albans 17 minutes earlier.

A temporary change is the southbound Ethan Allen on Saturdays will switch to the Sunday schedule from July 25 through September 2. Track work, probably.

There are a number of changes and outright improvements in the schedules. Someone may want to put together a list.

The Vermonter is finally changing its schedule with the new route in MA, taking 27 minutes off of the trip time north of SPG southbound. In the new timetable, #55/#57 departs St. Albans at 9:25 AM, arrives SPG at 2:40 PM, departs SPG the same time at 2:50 PM. Northbound, arrives at St. Albans 17 minutes earlier.

A temporary change is the southbound Ethan Allen on Saturdays will switch to the Sunday schedule from July 25 through September 2. Track work, probably.
I think that Ethan Allen change also took place last summer.

-A new express thruway CHI-DET has been added

-The Pere Marquette has its schedule shifted by a few hours (any reason for this?)

-Lots of padding removed from 448/449, as was previously mentioned

There's more...

I'm afraid that based on a survey I took last week, the printed timetables may become a thing of the past. :(

The way the questions were worded were completely biased towards elmination, ie: Do you ever use the printed timetable? Would you use an electronic timetable?

Yes, I do use the printed timetable. Yes, I would use an electronic timetable. Do I want to see the printed one go away? NO! But they don't ask that.

So long as Geico or any other sponsor wants to cover the costs, why stop?

Meanwhile, it looks like they aren't booking the massive time savings (up to 1/2 hour) on the Silvers - just a measly 6 minutes earlier into NYP and MIA on the Meteor and a more enjoyable 20 minutes or so on the Meteor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should have noted this about the Vermonter schedule change: it does not take effect on April 6, but later in April or May. Note in the timetable: "The schedule shown here is the Vermonter permanent schedule that is expected to be implemented in April or May when additional infrastructure improvements are completed on the route via Greenfield, Northampton and Holyoke."

The bad winter weather may have delayed track and signal work that was planned for February and March.

I did scroll through the new schedule. I found that pages 92-93 were turned sideways (Cascades) Was this a last minute throw together or is there another good reason?

A technical glitch that I saw on many pages was the baggage symbol is next to the time of arrival/departure. I had to increase the size on my computer screen to 160% to confirm that the SWC arrives in Galesburg at 5:38 and not 6:38. It would be easy to move that baggage symbol over one or even 2 spaces to the left.

Last Thursday I lucked out and had lunch with Mark Murphy (Sr. VP Amtrak LD routes) on board the SWC in NM. We had a little discussion of the future of the SWC.

Interesting...a CHI-DET "red-eye". No comparable westbound run, though. Wonder if the bus dead-heads back to CHI, or whether

it's used by its operator for some other service once it get to DET. Seems like a good use for it would be to provide a mid-morning

bus departure from DET-CHI between 351 and 353, or a mid-afternoon bus departure between 353 and 355.

It would be nice to have hyperlinks on the PDF version from, say, the national map to the index page and the page numbers all linked. Pain in the butt scrolling through.

Are the faster times on the siler meteor due to the new ACS sprinters and new baggage cars or track work/infrastructure improvements?

I presume in future years speeds will go up in new time schedules.

Are the faster times on the siler meteor due to the new ACS sprinters and new baggage cars or track work/infrastructure improvements?

I presume in future years speeds will go up in new time schedules.
The Sprinters have the same maximum speed as the AEM7's being replaced, and the Silver's have Heritage diners and Viewliner I sleepers, so the maximum speed of the train is still 110mph. So, no, the new locomotives and baggage cars are not a factor in the schedules.

Interesting...a CHI-DET "red-eye". No comparable westbound run, though. Wonder if the bus dead-heads back to CHI, or whether

it's used by its operator for some other service once it get to DET. Seems like a good use for it would be to provide a mid-morning

bus departure from DET-CHI between 351 and 353, or a mid-afternoon bus departure between 353 and 355.
I hope they mean a D stop at KAL, not an R stop, since thruway doesn't seem to be bookable without a train.

I hope they mean a D stop at KAL, not an R stop, since thruway doesn't seem to be bookable without a train.
It does seem to be a D, not an R stop. However, even as an R stop it would still have been theoretically bookable as

part of a round-trip itinerary. But yes, the timetable does appear to have an incorrect notation.

I'm afraid that based on a survey I took last week, the printed timetables may become a thing of the past. :(

The way the questions were worded were completely biased towards elmination, ie: Do you ever use the printed timetable? Would you use an electronic timetable?

Yes, I do use the printed timetable. Yes, I would use an electronic timetable. Do I want to see the printed one go away? NO! But they don't ask that.

So long as Geico or any other sponsor wants to cover the costs, why stop?

Meanwhile, it looks like they aren't booking the massive time savings (up to 1/2 hour) on the Silvers - just a measly 6 minutes earlier into NYP and MIA on the Meteor and a more enjoyable 20 minutes or so on the Meteor.
You might want to fire off a comment somewhere to Amtrak about the survey. I ended up doing this when I got one that was security-heavy (basically saying "Look, I know I said you don't have much of a visible security presence. Do bear in mind that overly-visible/intrusive security is something that I do not want. I don't feel unsafe at all, etc.").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back