New SDS diner menus

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I hear this is the new service to be offered on the City for some time unless enough people complain perhaps. But the whole thing is pushed by reducing cost and that is a mandate from congress. I pointed out once before that the new bill had a provision for yet another 40% reduction in cost. This may be part of that wonderful idea, or it probably means even worse to come. Your exactly right in my book. The reasons for paying what is not a cheap fare in most cases is being degraded and I don't know what it will mean for passengers? We know rail fans hate it, but the general public unused to rail travel may not notice all that much.. No where to go on a bus or plane either..

We took the Texas Eagle from Fort Worth to Chicago on 12/20/2007 and I can report that the new menu was a complete failure. They were ran out of the majority of the entrees for breaKfast, lunch and dinner. They even ran out of cheese for the "Build Your Own Burger". I did manage to get the flat iron steak but it was poorly prepared. No offer of steak sauce or any other miscellaneous nicities that could have made up for the dismal quality of the food that [u]was[/u] available. We are departing on the EB tomorrow for Seattle, I really hope that the quality and availability of menu items increases.

Which actually from those who are eatings stand point makes sense, but even the sleeper passengers no longer have a place to meet and talk and enjoy the scenery with others. The four tables on the far end were occupied by the same four sets of people from the time I got in there for dinner till at least midnight. So effectively no one on the train had access to a lounge. I think this is extremely short sighted by the planers. One of the most impelling reasons for train travel has effectively been ruined by this set up.
If I understand the "problem" AMTRAK is trying to solve - that being reduced operating cost of not pulling the Lounge car and moving staffing to the new Diners - then you are exactly correct in your assessment I quoted above.

All trains should operate with BOTH Lounge and Diner. Make the whatever configuration you like, but without both, the capacity is diminished to the point that more people have a bad experience. The occupied tables should be a prime example.

Hopefully the upper management will listen and keep the extra car onboard. I mean, how much can that really cost.
IMHO Dave is right on the money. Removing the Sightseer lounge and downgrading the diners is a VERY BAD IDEA! My wife & I travel sleeper Toronto-Buffalo(bus), LSL Buffalo-Chicago, CONL to NOLA and return once or twice a year. When you spend that much time on a train, the CONO sightseer lounge is an important feature, as is a proper dining car. We usually travel in late March / early April and the diners have been full. The LD trains aren't that cheap (1K for our next return trip this April), have to be booked long in advance to get desired sleeper space and can't compete for speed. Therefore, each feature that makes it better than the usual cattle car, commuter operation provided by airlines and buses is a strong selling point. My wife loves the chance to stretch her legs and read a book in the Sightseer while enjoying a drink and I like the scenery on the City, maybe because it's different than Canada but also because in Spring we can watch the seasons change during the trip. It's amazing to leave snow and ice here and watch things get greener and warmer. Each little luxury removed just encourages her to say, "Why not just fly?" "It's cheaper, faster and allows us more time at our destination"

Is the sightseer off for good or is this seasonal? Please tell me it'll be on in early April!
How true and how cheap!!! Bring back the lounges even if they aren't staffed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back