New Rider, CHI to San Fran, then south, many questions!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much for telling me about your trip report, Loved it! I hope we run into someone like you on our trip - a seasoned train traveler eager to share! What did you tell the mom about the D.C.?

I told her the Dining car was ussually full by 7 AM, that we typically arrive 10-15 minutes after it opens (one exception is the CZ arriving Denver if early, then the car is full at 6 AM when it opens). The wait list gets long and I heard twice a last call to be on the wait list little after 8 AM. There are no Dining Car announcements until after 7 AM due to 10-7 is quiet time on the train. I also told her we generally take the first or second seating for Lunch and Dinner reservations.

Lonestar648, Thank you for this information. So you do not make breakfast reservations the night before?

Breakfast has been first come first served on every Amtrak train I have been on. Often there is a waiting list and you cool your heels in the lounge car. However, the diner usually opens at 6:30 for breakfast, and they don't start making announcements until after seven...if you can get there before all the other passengers are notified, you can usually sit right down.

Breakfast is always first come first serve. Typical breakfast hours are 6:30 - 9:00, later if there are many passengers. There are exceptions like the Zephyr into Denver. I always ask at dinner what time breakfast will start and what time zone. If breakfast is near a new timezone the Dining Car usually uses that new zone for the start time. Until this summer I had never heard a cut off/last call to be on the wait list, but twice this summer the LSA announced they only had a few more spaces they could fill for that service since they had to get ready for the next meal.

Ok thank you. It pays to be up early then! And I never would have thought to think about the time zones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back