New National Menu for Long Distance Trains?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hardly 2 years old..the current menus posted are 11 months old (by the date on the menu) and still include Apple and Maple Chicken Sausage. I don't see "mussels" on the current menu but, there is Norwegian Salmon and a crab, shrimp and scallop cake on the menu. Based on the September 17 date on the menu, its about time for their annual change and probably something new for your October trip.

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/menus/routes/California-Zephyr-Dining-Car-Menu-0917.pdf
Mussels are right there, under Lunch.
They are there on the menu but my recent experience is that they are not being stocked.
Mussels were available for lunch on the southbound Silver Meteor today. My tablemate photographed his lunch. Maybe he will post.
default_smile.png
Glad to hear they are stocking them again! They are my wife’s and my favorite!

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats with the current fad of taking pictures of your meal and posting them on line?

Millennials, and others too!, do this in Mickey D's, Pizza

****, Taco Hell etc. ! ***?

My late grandfather and dad must be rolling over in their graves!

Whats with the current fad of taking pictures of your meal and posting them on line?
I wonder that too. I never find a picture of food appetizing. Not in the least.

I don't know if its because my other senses aren't be satisfied with only a 2D picture. By that I mean, its the lack of any food smells, and possibly the lack of any food sounds (the sizzling?) which make it just one big bla.

Sorry to disappoint those who dont want to see photos of food. Here is a photo of my lunch with my tablemates mussels in the background.

63010D97-D24F-49FC-8452-F8D5F12F17A7.jpeg
Not opposed to Special occasion pics such as in a Diner or Special place Penny!
I'm talking about pics from Fast food joints, all 3 meals a day @ home etc.

But then I don't "follow" anyone else's life on line, just an old Luddite I guess!

The short term nature and inconsistency of the food shortages makes me think Aramark had a supply chain meltdown, so Amtrak had to send trains out with whatever the commissary could have available.

Millennials, and others too!, do this in Mickey D's, Pizza

****, Taco Hell etc. ! ***?

My late grandfather and dad must be rolling over in their graves!
Did your grandfather or father ever buy postcards and send them in the mail? It's literally the same thing with new technology.

I remember my mom buying a postcard from a restaurant in Seattle WA after we rode the Empire Builder when I was a kid. Pretty sure I still have it somewhere.

Hardly 2 years old..the current menus posted are 11 months old (by the date on the menu) and still include Apple and Maple Chicken Sausage. I don't see "mussels" on the current menu but, there is Norwegian Salmon and a crab, shrimp and scallop cake on the menu. Based on the September 17 date on the menu, its about time for their annual change and probably something new for your October trip.

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/menus/routes/California-Zephyr-Dining-Car-Menu-0917.pdf
They are there on the menu but my recent experience is that they are not being stocked.
Mussels were available for lunch on the southbound Silver Meteor today. My tablemate photographed his lunch. Maybe he will post.
default_smile.png
Obviously they have been restored due to all the complaints on AU.....

default_smile.png
Obviously they have been restored due to all the complaints on AU.....
I've personally had someone from Amtrak reach out to me about something I said on AU. I suppose it could have been a setup but I'm a fairly devout cynic and it seemed reasonably plausible to me. That's not to say that AU is the reason the mussels returned, but if AU receives this much complaining about the lack of mussels it stands to reason the on board staff is constantly hearing about it as well. Aramark isn't the sort of company I'd call proactive but if you complain loudly enough on the next conference call you'll probably get some traction. I mean it's either that or Amtrak just doesn't give a damn about anyone anywhere. AU may seem unique and isolated to us but in reality it's just a hyperspace microcosm of people who typically ride Amtrak.

I've traveled on the Meteor quite a bit over the last five years and never saw mussels on the menu. Is this something new? Did have the crab cakes once however and they were good.
They've been on there for around a year.
And I have eaten it three times already
default_smile.png
So contrary to some rumors, it is available quite often, or at least most of the times I have been on. There have been times when a Crab Cake is substituted for it. Similarly there are times when a Shrimp prep is substituted for the Salmon too. I have had all of them.

Back