New menu items

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys even taste the potato with all that glop thrown on it? :p
On board, since supplies are limited, I go with a touch of Butter and a very generous pour of Tabasco. Then top it with a packet of one of the salad dressings and I'm happy and content. Nothing is left of it when I'm done.

One advantage to the smaller potato is shorter cooking time and more consistent cooking and texture. I love the large ones at home, but medium might be the best bet in food service.

Last year I really missed the 2000 Island Dressing. Not only on my salad, but on my burger as well. I found packets for sale on Amazon and am taking my own this year! I absolutely hate all the other favors of dressing.

Potatoes wrapped in foil and cooked in an oven are steamed by the moisture in the potato.

A steamed potato has a gummy inside texture that makes it difficult to for seasonings to mix in, and the skin is quite delicate and flimsy.

Wrapped potatoes don't cook significantly quicker than unwrapped potatoes.

Potatoes that are baked unwrapped lose a lot of their moisture, so inside they have a nice fluffy texture and a skin that is robust.

Last week I tried the Cavatapi Pasta for dinner and the new Entree Salad for lunch.

Salad - I liked it. It's a large portion of the basic salad with marinated veggies and a side of feta cheese. It was a good lunch salad for me.

Pasta - this was one of the better Amtrak pasta dishes. I thought the portion was a bit small, but good flavor. Not as good as the "Beechers Macaroni and Cheese" that was on the Chef Inspired menus a few years ago (and still on the Parlor Car menu last year).

I like the new Greek yogurt cheesecake as well. Best cheesecake since they went with the single serving cups.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the chicken breast while on the CZ a couple of weeks ago and thought it to be a big improvement over the half chicken. I don't care for dark meat and the portion was huge....I wondered if it were a half ostrich instead of half chicken. :lol:

I had the chicken breast while on the CZ a couple of weeks ago and thought it to be a big improvement over the half chicken. I don't care for dark meat and the portion was huge....I wondered if it were a half ostrich instead of half chicken. :lol:
Jeff, that's because Amtrak used East Texas Chickens instead of the sparrow sized chickens that most joints are using now a days!

Jeff, that's because Amtrak used East Texas Chickens instead of the sparrow sized chickens that most joints are using now a days!
How bout them Rangers! ( and the Lastros are coming on too!)
From what I've heard from people, East Texas Chickens could actually be the emus that were "turned loose" when the market for them crashed.....

Yes. Nice, large portion. Mrs. George had it on our trip on the EB last month. She liked it, but complained that the portion was too large.

Saw this today in the cafe car.

Lasagna platter for 10, and a shrimp and grits platter for 10.

Also turkey meatloaf for 10 dollars.

1481259048888.jpg

I wonder if those new additions can also be found in the freezer case at Walmart for $2.50 each? Actually some of those are not too bad, especially after a little doctoring.

My thoughts exactly. Chinese army surplus. But at least they're trying something.

I wonder if those new additions can also be found in the freezer case at Walmart for $2.50 each? Actually some of those are not too bad, especially after a little doctoring.

Since those have ingredients lists on the labels, they might really solve a lot of the problems I've been having. (Well, assuming the ingredients aren't "guar gum, chili peppers".)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back