New MARC Engines To Begin Service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update from MARC:

As part of a program to increase the capacity and reliability of MARC Train service, the Maryland Transit Administration is purchasing 26 new diesel locomotives which will replace existing locomotives that are nearing the end of their service life. The new locomotives are more powerful than those they will replace and meet stringent new emissions requirements. While the first units were delivered to MTA several months ago, none has yet been put into service due to testing required to meet federal and MTA safety and performance standards. Given the level of interest among MARC riders, we thought it would be useful to provide information about this complex situation.
MARC equipment must comply with a variety of federal requirements before it can be put into service. This includes an analysis of hardware and software used to control or monitor safety functions to ensure it operates as it was intended. This analysis is called a “Failure Modes, Effects and Criticality Analysis” or FMECA. The FMECA identifies the consequences of failure of equipment, software or components on the function of an overall system, and classifies each potential failure according to its probability and severity.

At the same time, MARC equipment must comply with the MTA’s own safety standards. MTA’s safety plan requires that a hazard analysis be part of the design and manufacturing of the equipment, and the FMECA is one of those hazard analyses.

In its final testing of the new MARC locomotives the MTA concluded that additional documentation of the FMECA is required to comply with federal regulations. This documentation must be prepared by the manufacturer, and MTA and the manufacturer have agreed to an approach to this issue. Today the Board of Public Works approved a change to MTA’s contract with the manufacturer to conduct this additional analysis. The manufacturer has committed to expedite the work, and the schedule calls for the locomotives to be in service by the end of the year.

At the same time, we are seeking additional guidance from the federal agencies that regulate MARC Train operation. Should they respond in a manner that would allow us to expedite the process of getting the locomotives into service sooner, we will follow that direction.

MTA understands this process is frustrating to MARC riders waiting for more reliable service, However, given that the performance of these locomotives will impact MARC operations, safety and customer satisfaction for decades to come, it is critically important that we be assured this new equipment meet all federal and MTA standards.

We appreciate your patience and understanding. Best wishes, and thank you for riding MARC Train.

Paul J. Wiedefeld

Administrator

September 16, 2009 2:55 PM
I don't know what the heck kind of testing that MARC is insisting on that no other transit agency in the nation felt the need for. Hopefully the FRA will tell MARC that the testing to date is sufficient and these guys can get into service.

My personal uninformed opinion: Since these locomotives are in service many other places in the country without this becoming an issue, it probably isn't the FRA or MP. ;) Patrick, that was a great article. The HHP's are apparently back in service, although on my train home last night just as they were releasing the brakes to leave WAS the HHP-8 on the head end dropped offline. After sitting in the dark for about 15 minutes, HEP came back up and we were shortly on our way, so obviously there are still some "issues" to be worked out.

Sorry, I have to resurrect this. If the diesels are only supposed to be hauling short trains, why aren't they being run in tandem? I mean I know pulling 8 cars with one motor ain't fun, but there's no reason you can't couple up some power. Also shouldn't there be some capability for MARC to get a motor or two on loan from Amtrak since Amtrak is responsible for maintaining these things?

As far as the MP engines go, I'm going to guess a large part of this has to do with cab signal issues. To my knowledge this is the first line these motors are going to run on that have cab signals in effect. So you have a whole new bag of issues with things like signal conformity, penalty applications, and other factors that have never had to be accounted for. We ride trains, we know one thing very well, delays happen. :lol:

Rafi may end up correcting some of what I'm saying, but here goes.

First, they don't have enough engines to go around, so running tandom isn't an option.

Next, I believe that Amtrak is only responsible for maintaining the electrics, not the diesels. And Amtrak doesn't have any electrics to spare, even if they were so inclined. They might have some diesels that they could spare soon, with the P40's coming back online.

Alan got it pretty much right, the only thing that I would disagree with is that I don't think that we'll be seeing any of the P40's before the end of the year, so our chances of getting any power out of Amtrak is pretty much nonexistent (although we may be operating off of different definitions of "soon").

As far as the extra testing goes, I don't think that cab signals have much to do with it - if it did, I would think that Mr. Wiedefeld would have mentioned the uniqueness of the cab signals in his letter that I posted above. For me, the million dollar question is "Why is it that every other transit agency that operates these (and MPI) interprets the FRA regs one way and has the locomotives in service and MARC interprets them to mean that this additional testing is needed"?

As far as the extra testing goes, I don't think that cab signals have much to do with it - if it did, I would think that Mr. Wiedefeld would have mentioned the uniqueness of the cab signals in his letter that I posted above. For me, the million dollar question is "Why is it that every other transit agency that operates these (and MPI) interprets the FRA regs one way and has the locomotives in service and MARC interprets them to mean that this additional testing is needed"?
I'll add more fuel to the fire as it were. I agree that it's unlikely to be a cab signals issue. If it was, then MARC could still use these new engines on its other two lines, freeing up existing diesels to work the NEC. Or for that matter, these engines could be placed into service in tandom with engines that do have cab signaling so as to haul longer trains.

@Alan, touche my friend, touche.

But, the one thing I'll argue with there not being enough engines to go around is this, when I was going from BWI-WAS back in August, there was a four car set being pulled by three motors. I will also say that if the engines are needing further testing, that means they don't want them to be used in revenue service, so you can't use them in tandem. Also, I realize this is a very RADICAL thought, but it seems like one of the leasing agencies should have some motors that could be put on the head end to double up power. The MARC engine would have to be a trailer for HEP, but it'd work. The only potential issue would be the restriction to 70 MPH, but that'd be ok over on the Western lines and the Camden line...

They definitely were running tandem when I was going BWI-WAS and back in June. Both our inbound and outbound trains on Day 2 used two of their GP40s. Our outbound Day 1 used two GP39s and our inbound that day used an HHP-8. I think all of our trains were 12 Kawasaki Bilevels.

[EDIT] I stand corrected, our outbound day 2 used only one of the GP40s and only had 6 cars. BTW-why aren't the GP40s required to have ditch lights? They run in grade-crossing territory on the non-electrified lines...and even the electrics have ditch lights...

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like these guys are finally going to be entering service soon (maybe!?!):http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/1009/666655.html
MUCH greater detail (and cool photo) from WJLA's source, the Baltimore Sun:

Engine back in MARC service

"The two AEM-7s that went into the shop in 2006 were returned to MARC in October 2008 and January 2009. But those locomotives were soon found to have a puzzling electrical glitch that led to frequent breakdowns. They were returned to the Amtrak repair yard last spring and remained there through the summer alongside two other MARC AEM-7s as technicians struggled to find a fix to the electrical malfunction.

"[Amtrak deputy chief mechanical officer Terry] Schindler said one complication was the difficulty of procuring compatible spare parts for switches that were made during the 1980s. He said Amtrak, which has 20 AEM-7s of its own, had to scout world markets to find a company that would manufacture the parts to its specifications."

Also...

"If the AEM-7s are returned to service as predicted and the delivery of new diesels picks up, MARC could be operating a substantially transformed fleet by late 2010."

Delivery of new diesels picks up!? Much of this thread is about how they're not running the ones they already have!

Yeah, I think that "redelivery" is the word that they meant to use, since apparently they had to be sent off somewhere for the additional testing and are just finding their way back onto the property.

Last week I saw engine 12 used as a secondary engine - unknown line

And today I saw #12 leading it's own set of single level cars - unknown line

I'll try and remember to get a picture next time

Duncan

Here's MARC 12 in service this morning at WAS - this is the first time that I've been on a platform with one, and they really are some nice looking locomotives, hopefully they perform as well as they look!

marc_12_1.jpg

Here's MARC 12 in service this morning at WAS - this is the first time that I've been on a platform with one, and they really are some nice looking locomotives, hopefully they perform as well as they look!
Nice shot, glad to see the new locos are finally getting placed into revenue service.

Back