New Amtrak "System Timetables"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P40Power

OBS Chief
I recieved my new System Timetable yesterday in the mail and Im pretty much impressed by it. I like how it tells you things like which host railroad the train is being operated over each portion of the journey and the Chicago quick reference table, thats handy for realistic model railroad operation in my opinion (if you run them off the real schedules like I do :D ), also for the first timers it also has better instructions on how to use the schedules and there is just generally more information throughout! Way to go Amtrak.

There are a few glitches here and there throughout the timetable I noticed, like the thruway motocoach connections shown as "connecting rail" services and the addition of BWI and New Carrolton in the new extended Cardinal timetable where the train doesnt even stop there to name a few glitches off the top of my head, I remember seeing a couple more nothing major.

I notice when they do mention the Cardinal they still mostly mention it as a WAS-CHI train, I guess they figure its not too appealing to most North of Washington passengers.

Most of the schedules in the timetable are hardly changed, just a little tweaking here and there.

I like the sample fare section, thats a nice feature as well as the more detailed descriptions of Car types, including the specific mentioning of Amfleet II as the long distance eastern coach . . . its good to hear them call the cars by their names, not to much mention of Amfleet in the recent years at Amtrak.

The symbols for the station services on the timetable itself have changed, which can be confusing. The black dot which used to indicate that tickets werent sold at this station for years has now changed to mean the opposite, that tickets ARE sold at that location. The station services index has been squished together more because of the addition of Northeast Corridor services so the columns that used to tell if the stations had enclosed waiting areas, resturants, bathroom, and payphone are gone. It just tells you if the station sells tickets, has checked baggage, and help with luggage as well as the local transit authority. Poor Pittsfield went from having two dots to none at all :(

Despite these bugs and other little peeves Im pretty satisfied with the new timetable.

Oh and if they got rid of those CORNY fake computer placed images of Amtrak trains on the cover and through out the timetable, I mean they look so cheesy. Its pretty easy to get decent REAL picture of Amtrak trains throughout the country, why cant they do that?! But hey what can ya do?!

Oh ya one more thing, In the small picture advertising the Downeaster instead of showing a brand new Capstone coach they showed passengers riding in an old rather cramped unrefurbished car, I just thought that was a bit intresting :lol:

P40Power said:
the addition of BWI and New Carrolton in the new extended Cardinal timetable where the train doesnt even stop there
I saw this too and almost wonder if they wanted to illustrate the route it takes up to NYP... I bet the cities' inclusion was intentional. Though, it did strike me as odd :p

Well one explination I could think of is the whole arrangement the Cardinal has with #155 on Sundays, maybe Amtrak was gonna include times that it would make stops there because it would be making local stops but the times were left out as a typo or something, either way it is odd.

Got mine in the mail yesterday as the station in Sacramento does not have any yet, and they didn't the last change either. For the most part I like the new format but have not had the time to go over it that I would like. It's nice though that you can order that and other publications on line to get an idea of how they are. The fake pictures do have to go however.

Well I just picked up my copy today at Penn. Overall I do agree that most of the changes are for the good. I however still don't think that combining the NEC table with the national table is a good idea. I think that it is far more convienent having two seperate timetables. I personally think that the orange colored arrows are a very good idea. It makes it much clearer to the novice how to read the timetable.

As for the Cardinal glitch, I suspect that it's simply the standard template that Amtrak uses. The same thing shows up for the Florida trains too, even though only one train listed on that page actually stops there.

When I E mail Amtrak this morning they tell me this -

Dear Ricardo Gonzalez,

The Best way to obtain the most recent schedule is through our website. Can somebody help me out please?

Perhaps the combination of the timetables is a form of subtle advertising. I know that I have a great many friends and colleagues who are quite frequent users of the Northeast Corridor, but who have never taken a long distance train, either in their life or in the past twenty years, and have no idea where Amtrak goes, how long it takes to get there (somehow, times seem to get inflated - I've had people tell me "doesn't it take five days to get to the West Coast?"). Maybe the combined timetable will help disabuse NEC commuters of some of their myths about the long distance side of Amtrak.

I personally like the combination of the two timetables because it's one less thing for me to have to look for. It always seems like when I want my National I can only find the corridor, and vice versa. So the changes are definitely welcome to me.

Amtrak Railfan said:
When I E mail Amtrak this morning they tell me this -
Dear Ricardo Gonzalez,

The Best way to obtain the most recent schedule is through our website. Can somebody help me out please?
Yes Ricardo, you don't send them an email. They already have a special page right on the website that you can use to order a timetable.

If you click here you will be taken right to the correct page on Amtrak's website. Then just fill out your name and address and check the box next to "National Timetable". Then click the "send request" button at the bottom of the page.

Then sit back and wait a few weeks for it to come in the mail. :rolleyes:

Amtrak Railfan said:
How can I have a Northeast timetable to sent me by mail?
You can't. There no longer is a Northeast Timetable.

Amtrak combined the National and the NE timetables into one big timetable. So if you order the timetable using the instructions that I gave you above, you will receive the combined timetable. This will have all Amtrak trains, including the NE corridor.

battalion51 said:
I personally like the combination of the two timetables because it's one less thing for me to have to look for. It always seems like when I want my National I can only find the corridor, and vice versa. So the changes are definitely welcome to me.
I agree, I'd rather be able to refer to just one timetable. My only complaint for the new one is how they Have Silver Service as one column rather than the standard two. Other than that, I'm very happy with the new look.

I got mine, and I like the new style too. It is nice to have the northeast corridor schedule included, because at time in Chicago the northeast corridor only schedules were often hard to get.

I'm already thinking about that cardinal ride to New York. I like long train rides, and the Cardinal combines some interesting contrasts over its whole route. For example, leaving from New York, you go thte NE corridor. Then after Washington, scenic rolling hills, with mountains later in the day. The next morning, you have cornfiels on the way to Chicago.

Steve4031 said:
I'm already thinking about that cardinal ride to New York. I like long train rides, and the Cardinal combines some interesting contrasts over its whole route.  For example, leaving from New York, you go thte NE corridor.  Then after Washington, scenic rolling hills, with mountains later in the day.  The next morning, you have cornfiels on the way to Chicago.
If you decide to ride the Cardinal, make sure that you ride it from Chicago to NY. Going in the opposite direction, except during the summer months, you miss the best scenery due to darkness.

However the lack of a Sightseer Lounge on this train, IMHO is a big issue.

AlanB said:
Then if you're going for the scenery, you'd definitely want a sleeper (provided you can afford it), at least the Viewliners have that second row of windows. This is exactly the kind of route that could use a Viewliner Diner :rolleyes:

Viewliner said:
AlanB said:
Then if you're going for the scenery, you'd definitely want a sleeper (provided you can afford it), at least the Viewliners have that second row of windows. This is exactly the kind of route that could use a Viewliner Diner :rolleyes:
Even better than a Viewliner diner would be a Viewliner Lounge car, like Amfleet designed. :)

Here's an idea. A fleet of well built Viewliners of all types. (When I say well built I mean built like the Superliners and Heritage cars.)

Don't have mine yet---will try to take care of that tonight. I am thrilled that it is all in one timetalbe...I have wanted that all along.

Seems to me that a person who lives in and rides only the NE corrider might conceivably thumb through it and get some brand new ideas of where to go, and when, and yes, that it doesn't take five days to get there!

What I found interesting was the addition of listing the "Host" Railroads for each train route.

I'm curious as to why they added this. The only reason I can think of is so passengers know who to direct their complaint to when the train is late.

That was the best I could come up with. Now granted there are some mistakes. For example, the change on the Vermonter doesn't happen AT Palmer, but near it. It is probably best that they did the timetable the way they did, because many people may not know where a particular junction is.

battalion51 said:
Here's an idea. A fleet of well built Viewliners of all types. (When I say well built I mean built like the Superliners and Heritage cars.)
Thats what I'm implying. I'm going to at least try to model this gradually.

The Vermonter does change railroads at Palmer, Mass. It reverses off the old B&A route (CSX) and then heads on to the New England Central for the rest of the journey. The line branches off right next to the former Palmer depot.

I logged onto the AMTRAK website to order the new system timetable on Monday morning of last week. Would you believe my shock at actually recieving it in the First Class Mail on Wednesday afternoon? That has to be a new world record for AMTRAK. I usually don't get anything but stale air from their free publications page. Things are looking up!

John Wolfskill

http://www.trainweb.org/metrovalleyline/index.html

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back