Need help planning a trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hippyman

Service Attendant
I have a cousin, who lives in NYC, so I have been sort of mentally planning a rail journey, up to the big apple, for some time now. I am just now starting to look at routes, and I was hoping ya'll could help me out. I have ridden the TE twice, and both times, the trip was lacking, at best, with the delays and all, so if possible, I would like to avoid the TE. Is there any way to do this? It seems no matter which route I pick, they all put me on the TE at some point. Also, when is the best time of the year to plan a trip like this?

I have a cousin, who lives in NYC, so I have been sort of mentally planning a rail journey, up to the big apple, for some time now. I am just now starting to look at routes, and I was hoping ya'll could help me out. I have ridden the TE twice, and both times, the trip was lacking, at best, with the delays and all, so if possible, I would like to avoid the TE. Is there any way to do this? It seems no matter which route I pick, they all put me on the TE at some point. Also, when is the best time of the year to plan a trip like this?
What is your starting point?

Depending onn where you live, in most of TX and AR and some of MO, the TE is the only trqin to go to CHI. If you live in SAS or HOS, you could take the SL -but that would require an overnight on your dime in NOL. The NEC basically runs from WAS to BOS only!

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending onn where you live, in most of TX and AR and some of MO, the TE is the only trqin to go to CHI. If you live in SAS or HOS, you could take the SL -but that would require an overnight on your dime in NOL. The NEC basically runs from WAS to BOS only!

I will probably be starting from Ft. Worth, or Dallas, actually hoping to catch the Sunset Ltd, as far as I can east. Have they restored the florida service yet by some chance?

To avoid the TE you will have to ride the TE ( :lol: )from FTW-SAS. switch to the Sunset Ltd. to NOL (#2,only an hour or so in SAS,easy connection),then overnite in NOL on your nickel! (There are some good hotel deals in NOL when you avoid big activities and weekends, especially in the summer when it's hot!)Then you can catch the Crescent to NYP which is an overnite trip with reasonable sleepers if you book on the right days! Upon return you can reverse the trip or ride the LSL,CL(from WAS, either a Regional or Acela required NYP-WAS)or Cardinal (you could catch the Pennsylvanian from PHL-PIT,then overnite on the CL to CHI also,get to see the Horseshoe Curve!)Of course youd have to take the Eagle from CHI back to Texas so as the saying sort of goes ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: you cant get there without going there! Summer is a good time for the NOL route, it's pretty steamy in NOL but the prices are right and during the week so are the crowds!Just dont go when a Hurricane is on the way! :eek: ;)

To avoid the TE you will have to ride the TE ( :lol: )from FTW-SAS. switch to the Sunset Ltd. to NOL (#2,only an hour or so in SAS,easy connection),then overnite in NOL on your nickel! (There are some good hotel deals in NOL when you avoid big activities and weekends, especially in the summer when it's hot!)Then you can catch the Crescent to NYP which is an overnite trip with reasonable sleepers if you book on the right days! Upon return you can reverse the trip or ride the LSL,CL(from WAS, either a Regional or Acela required NYP-WAS)or Cardinal (you could catch the Pennsylvanian from PHL-PIT,then overnite on the CL to CHI also,get to see the Horseshoe Curve!)Of course youd have to take the Eagle from CHI back to Texas so as the saying sort of goes ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: you cant get there without going there! Summer is a good time for the NOL route, it's pretty steamy in NOL but the prices are right and during the week so are the crowds!Just dont go when a Hurricane is on the way! :eek: ;)
I'm fairly new to this, so bear with me, please. Is the NE regional an acela route? Also, what would be the best time to plan a fall folliage tour in the NEC?

NE Regional's run with Amfleet equipment, and run the same route as the Acela.
Depending on where in the NE, sometime in October is likely your best bet.

If I do a fall folliage tour, I will probably be going up into new england, most likely Maine. What train #'s are the best to take, when doing this? If I remember right, I heard that there is one train that gains a private dome car in the fall, is this correct? I still want to wait until I could take the SL to JAX, but I'm not so sure if thats ever happening.

If I do a fall folliage tour, I will probably be going up into new england, most likely Maine. What train #'s are the best to take, when doing this? If I remember right, I heard that there is one train that gains a private dome car in the fall, is this correct? I still want to wait until I could take the SL to JAX, but I'm not so sure if thats ever happening.
The Train with the Dome Car is the Adirondack, #68 & #69. The dome was added to the Northbound (To Montreal) train on Thurs, Sat, and Mon. Southbound on Fri, Sun, and Tues this past fall. The dome has a day off on Wednesday! The Dome is added in Albany (Rennselaer); the train originates in New York City (NYP).

I have had the pleasure of riding in the dome, it should be added to your must-do list.

The Downeaster trains run to Portland, ME. Check the schedule for the best departure-there are five trains each way.

Hope this helps!

Mike

The Train with the Dome Car is the Adirondack, #68 & #69. The dome was added to the Northbound (To Montreal) train on Thurs, Sat, and Mon. Southbound on Fri, Sun, and Tues this past fall. The dome has a day off on Wednesday! The Dome is added in Albany (Rennselaer); the train originates in New York City (NYP).

I have had the pleasure of riding in the dome, it should be added to your must-do list.

The Downeaster trains run to Portland, ME. Check the schedule for the best departure-there are five trains each way.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Alright, you sold me on the NEC, for the fall folliage, now about this summer. I'm thinking about taking the following route: TE#421, FTW-SAS; SL#1, SAS-LAX; CS#14, LAX-EMY; CZ#6, EMY-CHI; I would preplan my rte home, but there arent enough spaces :unsure: . When would be the best time of the summer to book this trip?

Best time in the summer is after Labor Day when the kids are back in school but you will need to do test bookings to find low bucket prices and availability of sleepers, the CZ is especially famous for having the sleepers shown as "booked" and for high bucket rooms! Remember on the TE to SAS you want train #421, not #21, which currently limits you to three days a week when the Sunset Ltd. #1 runs to LAX. Otherwise you have to get off and spend in the night off the train and reboard the next morning @ 5AM when it loads for a 5:40AM departure. When you book #421 you can spend the night on the train although it will cost you more,sometimes alot more!

Since there are only 4 blanks for multi-city trip planning you can do your return by doing another test booking, remember you'll have to spend the night in EMY or Sacramento since the CS gets there late @ night and the CZ leaves the next morning! A really good trip, you might consider the CS all the way to PDX or SEA, then take the Empire Builder (#28 PDX-CHI, #8 SEA-CHI, there's a great hostel in SEA and CHI!)to CHI also, this is a popular train but we got low bucket bedrooms last August! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back