NEC REGIONALS - quiet car?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about switching from acela to the NEC regionals in going from WASH to RTE. Are there any quiet cars on the regionals? Are there any particular trains so that 175, where one knows that there are or are not quiet cars. If there are where are they normally situated? near the head or rear? Also where are the business cars situated?

thank you

The nearly uniform arrangement I've noticed in Regionals is

<loco><bc car><cafe><coaches><quiet car>

Quiet car seems to be universally at the end to minimize foot traffic. Main drawback is its the furthest walk from the Cafe Car.

I've seemed to have noticed every "Regional" has a quiet car, but every NEC local train does not. If you catch the Southbound Carolinian for example, the rear car is usually the one that holds the short riders (no, not the height challenged, but those not going past DC). Not sure about the Vermonter (pretty sure it won't), but I think Keystones may have one.

The nearly uniform arrangement I've noticed in Regionals is
<loco><bc car><cafe><coaches><quiet car>

Quiet car seems to be universally at the end to minimize foot traffic. Main drawback is its the furthest walk from the Cafe Car.

I've seemed to have noticed every "Regional" has a quiet car, but every NEC local train does not. If you catch the Southbound Carolinian for example, the rear car is usually the one that holds the short riders (no, not the height challenged, but those not going past DC). Not sure about the Vermonter (pretty sure it won't), but I think Keystones may have one.
The consist has just recently changed with the Cafe Car in the middle of the consist. There also are new menu items - Entenmanns baikery products, Utz chips and other regional favorites.

Not sure about the Vermonter (pretty sure it won't), but I think Keystones may have one.
The Vermonter indeed does have one, but M-F only. It's rather irritating sometimes, as when the train is just starting to fill up in ESX, the conductors will keep everyone in the same car and won't let you in it. But once one is south of White River, it's usually open.

While all regionals have a quiet car all Acela Express trains offer a quiet car also so it's not worth your money to cancel a reservation just to make an other. On Acela Express trains it is the business class car in front of First Class car. 90% of the time the First Class car is on the rear (northbound) the only exception being that all Boston trains after 12:00 PM it will be the first car as to give first class passengers the shortest walk. Southbound it varys by the way the train is turned in Boston or New York.

Also Keystone Trains do not offer quiet cars.

While all regionals have a quiet car all Acela Express trains offer a quiet car also so it's not worth your money to cancel a reservation just to make an other. On Acela Express trains it is the business class car in front of First Class car. 90% of the time the First Class car is on the rear (northbound) the only exception being that all Boston trains after 12:00 PM it will be the first car as to give first class passengers the shortest walk. Southbound it varys by the way the train is turned in Boston or New York.
Amtrak has no set rule about where the First Class car will be. It is where it lands, which in my experience is about 50/50. For example, last night my 4:00 PM departure to Boston had the FC car on the rear, not the front. About a month ago when I was on the 4:00 PM Acela to Boston, the FC car was once again on the rear. The week before that, the 4:00 PM had the FC on the head end.

Amtrak makes no effort to turn the trains at DC during the daytime runs. They just pull into the station on the southbound run, get cleaned right in the station, and make one of the next northbound runs. So the FC car is located where it lands. They may try to turn the trains that overnight in DC so as to always have the FC car on the rear, although I'm not sure if there is indeed such a practice. But again, pretty much any run out of DC after 9:00 or 10:00 AM goes out orientated however it came in.

Why bother? Their are full control cars on each end.
It's either turn the train or rotate the seats except for the facing seats.
More expensive to turn it, I'd imagine.
They probably do both, what gets done probably depends on the staff avalible to turn the seats and how much congestion there is near the terminal. There are times when it would be physically impossible to take the train out of the station turn it and put it back into the station due to congestion (commuter rush hour) and then there are times when there might not be enough staff to physically rotate every seat on the train, so then removing the train to turn it would be a better choice.

AFAICT at Washington DC they do not turn the trains. In many cases the train that arrives sits at the platform for an hour and then departs back up north/east. In New York, if the train gets taken out to Sunnyside it gets turned on the way. If not, it does not get turned. I don't know what they do in Boston. I suppose if it goes to Southampton Street yard they have the choice of turning the set or not using the turning loop there. If it departs straight back from th platform at South Station, naturally no turning around.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that the seats on Acela can be turned. If they can be, then they certainly are not turned, at least in the first class car. In the FC car, the seats are always in the same pattern. And between the walls at the ends of the cars, the tables, and the odd 2 & 1 pattern, if they did turn the seats then half the seats would then end up without tray tables.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that the seats on Acela can be turned. If they can be, then they certainly are not turned, at least in the first class car. In the FC car, the seats are always in the same pattern. And between the walls at the ends of the cars, the tables, and the odd 2 & 1 pattern, if they did turn the seats then half the seats would then end up without tray tables.
I really don't see why first class would need to turn since most of the seats have a table, no as for business class I'm pretty sure that would turn since its seating more like a regular coach, Since people are more likely to get motion sickness when facing backward, they probably always turn the seats to face forward in BC.

Here's a link to the Acela's interior layout:

http://www.trainweb.org/tgvpages/images/acela/layout.jpg

I really don't see why first class would need to turn since most of the seats have a table, no as for business class I'm pretty sure that would turn since its seating more like a regular coach, Since people are more likely to get motion sickness when facing backward, they probably always turn the seats to face forward in BC.

Here's a link to the Acela's interior layout:

http://www.trainweb.org/tgvpages/images/acela/layout.jpg
I don't normally visit the BC cars, but it seems to me that there are a fair number of facing seats, so that probably cuts down on the ability to turn those seats. You loose tray tables when you do that, since there are no trays on the backs of opposing seats.

I'll try to pay more attention the next time I'm on an Acela.

On the Michigan services business class is in front of the lounge car, and on all quiet cars been in the rear of the train marked with signs above the walk way traveling from Chicago to Milwaukee , I not sure if that a standard out east.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the Michigan services business class is in front of the lounge car, and on all quiet cars been in the rear of the train marked with signs above the walk way traveling from Chicago to Milwaukee , I not sure if that a standard out east.
Well the cafe car's location and type can vary depending on the particular train. But all quiet cars usually have the signs hanging from the ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back