My Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. So on May 18th I will board the Sunset Limited LTD from New Oleans to San Antonio. I have never traveled on Amtak before. I was on a train from Frankfurt, Germany to Paris, France and the subways in NYC and Paris but thats about it! I have heard some things about traveling on Amtrak. Some good and some bad.

I was told that its down right frigid on the train and that you need to have a blanket. Is this true? I am flying into New Orleans on the 9th and then driving on to Destin, Fl with friends for a few days, so I can pack a blanket if needed. But I am trying to pack semi lite.

I decided to book just a coach set, since my trip is only 15 hours and I know me. I wont sleep a wink. I had considered taking the roomette, as I have a back injury that keeps me from sitting for long periods of time. I was told by my booking agent that I would be able to move around the train and go to the dinning car, ect. So, where on the train, upper/lower is the best place to grab a seat? And are the bathrooms kept clean? Are there plenty or are you forced to wait? Is the dinning car open 24/7? Since I am not going with the roomette now and my meals wont be free, how expensive is the dinning car?

I have read that there are outlets in the coach seats. Are they at all seats? I am intending to bring my portable DVD player and DVD's and some books to keep me busy when it gets dark or I get bored with roaming around. Is it ok to take photos and videos?

What the New Orleans station like? Is it in a safe neighborhood? My hotel is about 10 blocks away and I will be taking a cab but I want to get there early, I read that you should be there an hour early, and want to make sure that I will be safe. I get into SA at 3AM and I am pretty comfortable in this city so I dont worry about the time frame here. Also I think we stop in Houston, is the stop long?

I am sorry for all the questions. I have read some of the other forum posts and gotten other questions answered. So thanks in advance for all your help.

I decided to book just a coach set, since my trip is only 15 hours and I know me. I wont sleep a wink. I had considered taking the roomette, as I have a back injury that keeps me from sitting for long periods of time. I was told by my booking agent that I would be able to move around the train and go to the dinning car, ect. So, where on the train, upper/lower is the best place to grab a seat?
Your seat will be assigned, most likely on the upper level. The only way to cross between cars is on the upper level. The bathrooms are on the lower level. You can move from your coach to the sightseer and the diner (but only if you plan on eating a meal) and you may also get off at service/smoking stops when the train crew lets you-- listen to the PA for announcements.

And are the bathrooms kept clean?
There are plenty of bathrooms in each car and the SA's usually keep them clean, but remember its a tiny bathroom being used by 60+ people, there's not way for it to be spotless every trip you make.

Are there plenty or are you forced to wait?
There are plenty of bathrooms in a Superliner coach, four to five (I can never remember which) and I have never been waiting. Remember when I say bathroom I do not mean "shower" there are no showers in coach-- just a toilet and a sink... usually a "changing room" if you wanna switch out of some clothes.

Is the dinning car open 24/7?
No. The diner is opened ONLY during specified dining hours. Dinner requires a reservation, lunch and breakfast are first come first serve. The lounge car has a snack bar in it that is open while the diner is closed, but it also is not open 24/7. They'll make an announcement when the lounge bar is closing so you can run up and get your final munchies for the night.

Since I am not going with the roomette now and my meals wont be free, how expensive is the dinning car?
Here is a sample menu of the diner-- it is pretty much what you will get: http://www.amtrak.com/pdf/menus/SampleMenu1_10-2-2008.pdf

I have read that there are outlets in the coach seats. Are they at all seats?
There are SOME coaches with outlets at every seat, but there is a grab bag as to whether you are in one of those coaches or not. If you are in one of the coaches without, there will be two outlets "hidden" behind the armrests of a set of seats, one on each side of the car-- typically towards the middle. There are also outlets in the Sightseer lounge but those can be snapped up quick!

If your player runs on batteries-- bring a few spare sets. If it is strictly rechargable, make sure it is fully charged before you leave your hotel. (Also make sure to get a nice long shower, you'll enjoy the fact that you had it.)

I am intending to bring my portable DVD player and DVD's and some books to keep me busy when it gets dark or I get bo red with roaming around. Is it ok to take photos and videos?
EARPHONES! Do NOT forget earphones, even in the daytime you will be asked to turn your player off. It is okay to take photos and videos, as long as it does not disturb other passengers or interfere with the train crew-- basically don't bother people. This is a far cry from what the policy was post 9-11, so not all train crew are... well versed shall we say... on Amtrak's official policy that photography is allowed on board its trains. At the station, it is another matter and depends on who owns the station. (Amtrak does not own most).

What the New Orleans station like? Is it in a safe neighborhood? My hotel is about 10 blocks away and I will be taking a cab but I want to get there early, I read that you should be there an hour early, and want to make sure that I will be safe.
Never been but I hear it is safe enough, I have never heard about any problems so I am sure with some well placed caution you will be fine.

I get into SA at 3AM and I am pretty comfortable in this city so I dont worry about the time frame here. Also I think we stop in Houston, is the stop long?
Your stop is Houston is around 40 minutes or so... you can get off the train but you won't have to leave the platform. You can even stay on the train the entire time if you like-- but it is a nice stop to get some fresh air, stretch your legs, and maybe get some nice pictures of the train itself. Note-- the train specifically.

ENJOY your trip! That is the most important factor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adding one more thing: I've never encountered a train I would consider "frigid". Then again, I live in the Pacific Northwest and have a couple of times in my lifetime encountered -30 temps. So to me, it has to be darned cold before I'd call it "frigid"! The only time I've ever ridden a train where the temperature to me was uncomfortable was on a Chicago-Los Angeles trip when the air conditioning unit in our car conked out. It was, shall we say, a mite toasty until they fixed the unit.

That said, I'd pack a blanket just in case. I'd rather have one and not need it instead of not have one and wish I did.

Hello,

I take the Sunset Ltd. from New Orleans to Houston regularly, so I can probably answer some of your questions.

It can be cold on the train, but if you don't plan on trying to sleep then don't bother with a blanket. Just bring a light sweather or fleece or something like that and you should be fine.

The station at New Orleans is a full-fledged train station, with a gift shop, sandwich shop, restrooms, etc. It is in an OK part to town, but you should not walk around it at all if you are not familiar with the area. By all means take a taxi from your hotel to the station. You don't really need to be there an hour early, especially if you already have your ticket. Just don't be late, as the train usually departs right on time.

The dining car is not open 24/7. It is open on your trip for lunch and dinner. The attendant will announce the hours it will be open. It is moderately priced, and you can probably get lunch for around $10 or so, and dinner maybe around $15-$20 or so. Try it at least once on your trip, as I find it to be one of the nicest parts of riding Amtrak. It is fun to talk to other travellers in the dining car.

There is also a lounge car, that offers sandwiches and assorted snacks, beer, wine and cocktails, etc. if you want a lighter and cheaper alternative to the dining car. The hours of operation of the lounge car are irregular to say the least. It usually opens about a half hour after departure from New Orleans, but not always. On my last trip the lounge didn't open until after 1pm. It closes from time to time to give it's attendant a break. It is not open all the time. It will most likely close up at night around 10pm.

I believe that there are electric outlets at eash seat, but I may be wrong.

The restrooms are not kept particularly clean, but there are plenty and I have never had to wait for one.

I assume it is OK to tak photos and videos, but I have never tried.

'Hope some of this helps.

Bill

:lol:

Adding one more thing: I've never encountered a train I would consider "frigid". Then again, I live in the Pacific Northwest and have a couple of times in my lifetime encountered -30 temps. So to me, it has to be darned cold before I'd call it "frigid"! The only time I've ever ridden a train where the temperature to me was uncomfortable was on a Chicago-Los Angeles trip when the air conditioning unit in our car conked out. It was, shall we say, a mite toasty until they fixed the unit.
That said, I'd pack a blanket just in case. I'd rather have one and not need it instead of not have one and wish I did.
From a South Carolinian's perspective I have been on quite a few "frigid" trains.

Ok. So on May 18th I will board the Sunset Limited LTD from New Oleans to San Antonio. I have never traveled on Amtak before. I was on a train from Frankfurt, Germany to Paris, France and the subways in NYC and Paris but thats about it! I have heard some things about traveling on Amtrak. Some good and some bad.
I was told that its down right frigid on the train and that you need to have a blanket. Is this true? I am flying into New Orleans on the 9th and then driving on to Destin, Fl with friends for a few days, so I can pack a blanket if needed. But I am trying to pack semi lite.

I decided to book just a coach set, since my trip is only 15 hours and I know me. I wont sleep a wink. I had considered taking the roomette, as I have a back injury that keeps me from sitting for long periods of time. I was told by my booking agent that I would be able to move around the train and go to the dinning car, ect. So, where on the train, upper/lower is the best place to grab a seat? And are the bathrooms kept clean? Are there plenty or are you forced to wait? Is the dinning car open 24/7? Since I am not going with the roomette now and my meals wont be free, how expensive is the dinning car?

I have read that there are outlets in the coach seats. Are they at all seats? I am intending to bring my portable DVD player and DVD's and some books to keep me busy when it gets dark or I get bored with roaming around. Is it ok to take photos and videos?

What the New Orleans station like? Is it in a safe neighborhood? My hotel is about 10 blocks away and I will be taking a cab but I want to get there early, I read that you should be there an hour early, and want to make sure that I will be safe. I get into SA at 3AM and I am pretty comfortable in this city so I dont worry about the time frame here. Also I think we stop in Houston, is the stop long?

I am sorry for all the questions. I have read some of the other forum posts and gotten other questions answered. So thanks in advance for all your help.
If you have a back injury, you may want to go ahead with a roomette. This way, at least you can lay flat if needed.

You can walk around on the train, there's no guarantee that the coach seat you get will recline all the way.

If you choose to stay with coach, you could purchase a large beach towel instead to serve as a blanket.

Also with the roomette you have access to a shower. With coach you do not.

Temperature is normally pretty well regulated. Sometimes a car will be cold or hot because something is broken, but that's not too common.

Unless your ticket is specifically for downstairs, you'll be upstairs. Generally, upstairs is preferable--much more open, better views, and the connections between cars are only on the upstairs level.

The bathrooms are downstairs, and there are several per car (waiting is rarely necessary in my experience). They're reasonably clean, but bringing a small thing of hand sanitizer in your carry-on is never a bad idea. If you discover an unclean bathroom, bring it to the attention of the coach attendant--it's one of their duties, but obviously they're not always immediately aware of such problems.

The dining car is open for meal-times only, which are announced and each run several hours. Reservations will be taken for dinner, but not for other meals. Dinner entrees run from about $12-20 (with selections running from pasta to fish to game hen to steak, including a salad and non-alcoholic beverage); generous desserts are about $5; wine or beer are available. Lunches (such as burgers, veggie burgers, pizza, several sandwiches) run from maybe $6-10, as do breakfasts (such as eggs and potatoes, omelettes, and the beloved Railroad French Toast).

There is also a cafe (in the downstairs of the lounge car), open more like 18/7 (maybe 6am to midnight?), which sells snacks, drinks, and microwaved food. The dining car is much, much better food for your meals, but the cafe is great if you need a soda (Pepsi products only, alas), beer, or other munchies.

Not all coach cars have outlets, especially on trains like the Sunset. When the coaches were built in the 1970s-80s, nobody traveled with portable electronics; as the cars go into the shop for major overhauls, outlets get installed, but many cars haven't had such an overhaul for some while (railroad cars are built to last). There are a few outlets in the lounge car, often in use by people charging their phones. You can be the hero of the train (really) by bringing a power strip and plugging it into one of the lounge car outlets, allowing many more people (including yourself) to recharge their devices.

Photos and videos are allowed, and Amtrak has recently published a much clearer photography policy which says, roughly and much simplified, "take all the photos you want, so long as you don't trespass and so long as you obey any crew member who asks you to stop; but no crew member should ask you to stop unless they think you're doing something unsafe". Not all crew members are clear on this policy, and some crew members have very strange ideas about photography, but the official Amtrak policy is quite friendly.

The New Orleans station is small but nice, with a basic shop or two. The neighborhood isn't so nice--but there isn't much around there anyway, so there isn't much reason to explore around its immediate area. Inside the station, no worries about safety.

I don't know anything about the Houston station or timing, except to say that as a general rule, if the timetable gives only one time for a city, don't expect the stop to be very long at all (probably under five minutes, unless the train is running very early); if it gives two times (arrival and departure), the train will not leave until the scheduled departure, but it almost certainly will leave at that time. So if you see something like "arrive 12:10, depart 12:30", it doesn't mean "the train will sit there for twenty minutes"! It means "the train will leave at 12:30, whether it arrives on time at 12:10 (twenty minutes there) or half an hour early at 11:40 (fifty minutes there) or fifteen minutes late at 12:25 (only five minutes)".

I traveled on the Sunset Limited from New Orleans to San Antonio last month. So I can answer some of your questions.

I found that for that short time, coach was fine. The seats are comfortable and recline enough (like a recliner in your house). True, it is not flat but enough. Personally, I would rather save the extra $100 a roomette would cost.

The train stops in Houston, but it is only scheduled for a short time. When I took it, we arrived early, and because the train can not depart until it's scheduled time, we were there longer. However the station is not near anything, so there is no reason to "try to explore".

The station in New Orleans is also shared with Greyhound (the intercity bus company). Amtrak had the right side of the building and Greyhound had the left side of the building. As far as arriving early, unless you have bags to check, you should arrive early, but there is no set time. (There is nothing like "Security" at the airport to go thru.) If you have bags to check, you need to check them at least 30 minutes before departure.

Maybe I was lucky, but I found my car had at-seat power outlets. (In fact of the 15+ trains I took last month, I think found only 2 that did not.) But I second the thought of bringing a spare set of batteries with you in case you are on one of those 2 trains. (BTW - You can also buy batteries in the lunge car if necessary.)

I personally do not find the car cold. But it's still a good idea to just have a sweater with you if necessary.

BTW - Even though arrival in San Antonio is scheduled for 3 AM, I arrived at 2 AM!

Enjoy you trip! And an early welcome to the US!

Guys,

Just for the record, lunch is officially supposed to be by reservation. That's not to say that some crews don't follow policy if the passenger load is light enough, or for example in the case of the Capitol Limited eastbound into DC where there is an abreviated lunch, where they don't take reservations. But officially according to SDS policy, lunch is by reservation only.

It has been our experience in our travels on Amtrak that hardly ever will anyone give you problems about taking photos.

Keep in mind however, that taking photos of people should be done WITH their permission "do you mind if I get you in a photo ??"

Out of the window photos is never a problem, and crew photos WITH PERMISSION, have never been a problem. (Never hurts to let them know you are going to submit a trip report to Whistle Stop, Amtrak's version of out trip guide)

Only time we have been asked to step back is while in the vestibule of Viewliners, and in the entry way of Superliners, and that's a safety issue.

On our last trip we encountered a visitor that opened the window of the door, and was taking photos and video hanging out of the window. (We're surprised that the engineer didn't see it and radio the conductor) ( I told our sleeper attendant who asked him to stop) That is a definite safety hazard.

Take your photos, enjoy the trip, wave out the southside window when you pass through Lafayette and Scott, we might be there taking photos.

Keep in mind however, that taking photos of people should be done WITH their permission "do you mind if I get you in a photo ??"
As a student of photography, that is actually false. Photographers may take pictures of anybody they like-- faces are NOT copyright. As long as the photographer does not distribute them then it is perfectly legal. Even then, if the photographer crops the face or puts a black-box over the eyes then certain methods of distribution are legal.

Though OTOH, if somebody catches you taking pictures of them without permission it may upset them and then that becomes a violation of AMtrak policy.

As a student of photography, that is actually false. Photographers may take pictures of anybody they like-- faces are NOT copyright. As long as the photographer does not distribute them then it is perfectly legal. Even then, if the photographer crops the face or puts a black-box over the eyes then certain methods of distribution are legal.

Though OTOH, if somebody catches you taking pictures of them without permission it may upset them and then that becomes a violation of AMtrak policy.
It may be false, but it is simply common courtesy to ask permission.

Well, Amtrak poorly worded policy prohibits taking onboard pictures, if the taking of such pictures interferes with other passengers. I guess if one doesn't want their picture taken, that could be construed as interfere with them.

That's why I don't ask. When people know their on camera, they're posing, paranoid, not candid. That isn't what photographers want generally. So typically people never know I get their pictures.

Thank all yall so much. I am pretty much used to warm weather. So thats why asked about the cold temp on the train. I will remember to take earphones, and I have a smallish powerstrip that I use on cruises, its a 4 outlet style.

I read on there that you are assigned a seat, but I read on amtrak that its first come, first serve. Do you know which it is?

I am considering the roomette, just for the reason that was mentioned. But then again, if the seats recline back like a home recliner, that should be ok. I will try it out at home, before I go. When I start hurting, I will set in my recliner instead of going to lay down and see how it works.

To the person who traveled to SA...do you call a cab when you get in or do you have someone to pick you up? I was going to have a friend pick me up, but if the train is early or late I dont want her to wait. I know if I call Yellow Cab they are 24/7 and the train station in SA is in an ok place...there are bars and stuff around.

I read on there that you are assigned a seat, but I read on amtrak that its first come, first serve. Do you know which it is?
I am considering the roomette, just for the reason that was mentioned. But then again, if the seats recline back like a home recliner, that should be ok. I will try it out at home, before I go. When I start hurting, I will set in my recliner instead of going to lay down and see how it works.
On Amtrak, you are not assigned a seat when you buy your ticket or pick it up from the station, but when boarding, you may (depending on the car attendant, load factors, and other variables) be assigned a seat by the car attendant (the attendant will usually stand right next to the door and tell you where to sit as you get on). If not, then you can choose your own seat upon boarding. (Even if you are assigned a seat, you may have luck requesting a different one if you have a particular preference.)

Amtrak coach seats have about 50-52" of seat pitch between them (about 20" more than most airline coach cabins), so there is plenty of legroom. They also lean back correspondingly more than airline coach seats, since there is more room between rows, but I'm not sure I'd say it's quite as much as a home recliner. The Man In Seat 61 says they recline about 40 degrees, and he's a fairly knowledgeable source of all things railroad. That's compared to a typical airline coach seat's recline of 18 degrees and a typical airline domestic first class seat's recline of about 25 degrees. (I suppose there are some home recliners that only go to 40 degrees, but most I know usually do anything from 60 all the way to 85 degrees--90 would be flat.) Regardless, for most people, they are comfortable to sit in during the day and to nap in if you're tired, but for a good night's sleep, nothing beats a real bed in a roomette. On the other hand, I found the roomette's seat actually less comfortable than a coach seat--it was all right when straight up, but it reclines in segments and anything between straight up and lie-flat was not too terribly comfortable. So if you plan on sitting upright for the whole trip, I'd do a coach seat, but if you wanted the option to lie flat and catch some winks, I'd do the roomette.

Thank all yall so much. I am pretty much used to warm weather. So thats why asked about the cold temp on the train. I will remember to take earphones, and I have a smallish powerstrip that I use on cruises, its a 4 outlet style.

To the person who traveled to SA...do you call a cab when you get in or do you have someone to pick you up? I was going to have a friend pick me up, but if the train is early or late I dont want her to wait. I know if I call Yellow Cab they are 24/7 and the train station in SA is in an ok place...there are bars and stuff around.
I actually connected to the Texas Eagle in San Antonio. So I just stayed in the station from 2 AM until departure at 7 AM, so I can't answer your question either way.

I agree with Jackal if it was a full night or more, but seeing you will arrive between 2 and 3 AM, I think a coach seat is fine. (You may chose not go to sleep until like 10 or 11 PM, and have to get up at 1 AM or so anyway.)

As stated, you are not assigned a seat before boarding, but sometimes, you are assigned a seat when you board the train. You may be able request a different seat, but ask first.

A power strip is a good idea. And you may make friends by sharing the other outlets with others who "can not find an outlet" or "need to charge their cell phone"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back