MTA Metro North Railroad Train Stations.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
battalion51 said:
I noticed when I rode MNRR last year that the Conductor was cutting a lot of tickets, but only at certain stations. I would assume that a penalty would be assesed if you do not have a ticket just as Amtrak does and the ticket office is open.
According to the LIRR conductor who informed me of the policy change it took effect with the fare increase in March of this year. I remember the LIRR conductor's cutting a lot of tickets especially on the off-peak runs but apparantly this has changed.

I visited Yonkers on the Metro North line about a dozen times last night.....virtually ofcoarse( using TRAINZ). It's a pretty busy station.

IGO

tp49 said:
I thought I read somewhere that Amtrak could not sell tickets for local service between Croton Harmon and Penn Station per their agreement with the MTA (without that customer connecting to some other Amtrak service at NYP).  However, I am sure there are numerous people who do this anyway especially from Penn north.
But Amtrak will sell you a ticket between Yonkers and Croton Harmon, according to their website's res system, albeit the price is a hefty $18 one way fare for this short of a ride!

:)

jccollins said:
tp49 said:
I thought I read somewhere that Amtrak could not sell tickets for local service between Croton Harmon and Penn Station per their agreement with the MTA (without that customer connecting to some other Amtrak service at NYP).  However, I am sure there are numerous people who do this anyway especially from Penn north.
But Amtrak will sell you a ticket between Yonkers and Croton Harmon, according to their website's res system, albeit the price is a hefty $18 one way fare for this short of a ride!

That's interesting I would think the MTA would be pitching fits if they saw that one since both stations are served by MN and they're on the same branch. Heh, maybe they don't know.

tp49 said:
jccollins said:
tp49 said:

That's interesting I would think the MTA would be pitching fits if they saw that one since both stations are served by MN and they're on the same branch. Heh, maybe they don't know.
The official policy is that Amtrak will not carry local passengers between any combination of Yonkers, Croton-Harmon, and Poughkeepsie. I'm not sure what would happen if you actually tried to complete the sale that JCCollins tried. It might go through or it might not. Sometimes Amtrak stops invalid sales when you try to actually complete the sale with a credit card.

Frankly they should stop it sooner, but they don't always catch it until you try to pay. Even if you did get a ticket, I'm not sure what the conductor would do.

However you can ride between any of those three stations and Penn Station.

Oddly enough though, this type of restriction does not apply to the New Haven line. There one can buy a ticket to ride from New Haven to Stamford or Bridgeport. Go figure. ;)

Maybe ConnDot allows this practice while NYS through the MTA does not. I don't believe that the officials in Hartford (with somewhat more important things to worry about right now) do not believe that Amtrak is going to draw much if any of the market for local train service between Connecticut's major cities.

tp49 said:
Maybe ConnDot allows this practice while NYS through the MTA does not. I don't believe that the officials in Hartford (with somewhat more important things to worry about right now) do not believe that Amtrak is going to draw much if any of the market for local train service between Connecticut's major cities.
Especially when one considers that Amtrak's prices are almost double any ride on Metro North, including both line the Hudson and the New Haven.

Amtrak's selling tickets between New Haven, Bridgeport, Stamford, and (I assume) New Rochelle, might have something to do with the Springfield branch and the fact that people travelling from say Windsor to Stamford might want to stay on Amtrak the whole way. Especially on weekends, when Metro-North is relatively infrequent and Amtrak fares are lower, having the guaranteed connection at New Haven is very nice.

For that matter, Amtrak competes directly with the MNR in the New York-New Haven market. I know I always consider both as options when making such a trip.

Back