movies

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

velvetmask

Actually, what I mean is what movies or tv series from the 40's, 50's, and 60's have trains as part of their settings? I am presently watching "The Great Train Robbery" from the I Love Lucy series and can't get enough.

There was actually another episode when they were in California that made reference to the train, I don't believe any filming was done on board.

Then again this topic is a little ahead of my time. :lol:

This particular episode has parts that are actually of the Union Pacific (dining car, dome car, lounge) and a few shots of it barreling through the night. Most of it is shot on a set made to look like they're on the train.

velvetmask said:
This particular episode has parts that are actually of the Union Pacific (dining car, dome car, lounge) and a few shots of it barreling through the night.  Most of it is shot on a set made to look like they're on the train.

I am old enough to have seen these things when they were being shown for the first time. Sure, much of it was sets... but I think the picture of the City of Los Angeles barreling through the night was real. I distinctly remember seeing Union Paciic in the credit line.

Here is a list of train moves from Trains.com. I used to have a list with 1000's of movies on it from all over the world but can't put my hand on it right now.

Silver Streak is the best train movie out there, I've seen. With Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor, it's a great movie taking place. I'm not sure if there was a train called the Silver Streak, but it pretty much follows the route of the Super Chief and the now the Southwest Chief. The scene at Chicago Union station is pretty cool at the end.

Chris

Of course, as we know, the movie Silver Streak referred to Chicago Central Station, but none of it was filmed in Chicago.

Last week I watched Death Wish (1974) with Charles Bronson, for the first time in years. This is, most assuredly, not a train movie, but at the end of the movie, after Bronson's vigilante character is told to get out of New York or risk prosecution, an Amtrak train is seen speeding along the tracks. If you blink, you miss it, but it it the phase I paint job. Chicago Union Station's exterior is then shown, along with a Chicago Tribune truck, to establish that he has been transferred to Chi-Town. The final scene is inside the station, where he is greeted by a company rep. There is a sign hanging over head "When in Chicago, see the Sears Tower" (which had just opened). But when looking in the background, a train buff can see that the scene was indeed filmed in Union Station, but in Los Angeles Union station, with its ubiquitous ramps.

saxman66 said:
Silver Streak is the best train movie out there, I've seen. With Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor, it's a great movie taking place. I'm not sure if there was a train called the Silver Streak, but it pretty much follows the route of the Super Chief and the now the Southwest Chief. The scene at Chicago Union station is pretty cool at the end.
Chris
Aloha

Someware I have an article on the filming of Silver Streak. An If I remember correctly all of the locations are in California. The Interior of the Chicago Station was in Burbank. A second Unit may have done some exteriors there.

I will try and find it and report back the actual locations. If you look closely the engines are from Canadian Pacific. Doesnt the museam north of LA have them as part of their operating fleet.

GG-1, IIRC most of the shots were done along the Canadian's route, which would explain the Engines being from CP.

orson said:
If you like old movies and will be in the Fort Worth area in February, the Fort Worth Symphony will be showing The General with the orchestra performing the score:
Aloha

Is this the original Silent version? Concerts like this are fantastic. If in the area consider yourself lucky.

saxman66 said:
Chris

It is my understanding that there never was a major long distance train correctly literally referred to as the Silver Streak. Instead, that is a nickname which the press hung on the Pioneer Zephyr, and it stuck with the public. It is a mid-30's train well known for a "dawn to dusk" (well, almost ) run from Denver to Chicago

The Pioneer Zephyr, one of the first American steamliners, is on exhibt at Chicago Museum of Science and Industry.

Now---for the obscure---I do know the Pioneer Zephyr did not stay on one route very long, I think it wound up its service days sort of under the radar, some short route somewhere. Since it was an articulated set (i.e.joined together), the equipment it was not very flexible.

What I am leading up to saying is this.......it is possible......once it went into obscurity on some short Burlington line somewhere, it may---just may---have been referred to the timetalbe as the Silver Streak in those later days. I think I have seen it listed that way in a 50-ish CB&Q timetables.

There were to be many more zephyrs, not just the CZ, but others as well, which far-outclassed this original stainless steel streamliner. This one's fame was for being the first of its breed.

Aloha

Just caught the end of a movie, unkown title where 3 mini coopers race thrugh a subway and are loaded on what appears to be the Auto train. As the group celebrate their victory the shot zooms out to the Pacific Parlor Car.

So the questions

1 What movie

2 What Location for Filming

3 Does the autotrain have a Pacific Palor Car

Mahalo

Don't know the movie. Guessing LA for filming (at one of the yards that has Auto Loading Facilities). And Auto Train doesn't have a PACIFIC Parlour Car, that's a Starlight exclusive. AT has custom lounges rebuilt from Superliner I Diners.

GG-1 said:
Aloha
Just caught the end of a movie, unkown title where 3 mini coopers race thrugh a subway and are loaded on what appears to be the Auto train. As the group celebrate their victory the shot zooms out to the Pacific Parlor Car.

So the questions

1 What movie

2 What Location for Filming

3 Does the autotrain have a Pacific Palor Car

Mahalo
Eric,

That movie is called "The Italian Job" and it was released in 2003 and it starred Charlize Theron. AFAIK most of it was filmed in LA or what was supposed to be LA at least.

The mini coopers where not loaded onto the Auto Train, as there were no auto racks on that train. The cars were actually placed into what appears to be a standard Express Trak box car. We can surmise that the train was the Coast Starlight, since as you noted, we see them all in the Pacific Parlor car.

However, if I recall correctly, their stated destination (mentioned earlier) can not be reached on the Starlight.

Of course that wasn't the only error in that move. If one listens carefully to the announcments while the one guy is near the bagagge area, bags from train #22 are arriving in LA. :lol:

Much of the Silver Streak, including all outdoor train scenes, was filmed in Alberta Canada on the Canadian Pacific RR. The movie was released in 1976.

Some trivia about the movie and railroad involvement can be found at this page at IMDB.

Sadly, Richard Pryor, who starred alongside Gene Wilder in this classic slapstick comedy, died last month.

Just in case you were wondering.... Trainspotting was Not about trains! And you need a dictionary to understand the dialect... However, The Stranglers did a promotional video for their single Strange Little Girl which was filmed in Kings Cross Station in London, in 1979ish.. That is a BLAST to watch especially with the kewl soundtrack....

AlanB said:
Of course that wasn't the only error in that move.  If one listens carefully to the announcments while the one guy is near the bagagge area, bags from train #22 are arriving in LA.   :lol:
Aloha

Well this is why those of us in the industry say "Hollywierd" :D what tricked me into thinking the Auto train, was just after the loading scene was the shot of auto carrier cars so brief I missed any markings. Many of the area's in the Film reminded me of LA but more than one film I was a part of is shot elseware. This is what helps us get work here. you can shoot a snow scene under an hour away from a beach scene. :lol:

Of course if the film is fiction can or are there errors in the film?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back