mixing purchased tickets w/AGR

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I are traveling Denver to Chicago on the CZ in March. I have enough AGR pts for a one way coach ticket for myself. Can I purchase my return trip and her roundtrip all in one transaction with the AGR redemption? Also, are the coach seats reserved? We've only travelled roomette in the past. If they are reserved, can I get my AGR seat and the purchased seat together?

Thanks,

Jim

1. I don't think that you can do that. Since there is no real benefit (and several disadvantages) to booking a round trip in one transaction, I'd just do them separately.

2. Coach seats aren't "reserved" in the sense that they're for one particular seat, so no issues with sitting together.

AGR can not make paid Amtrak reservations and Amtrak reservations can not make AGR reservations. You must call each one separately.

Is this a coach redemption or a sleeper redemption? (I know you said you have enough for coach for yourself. So you have at least 5,500 points.) If it is a sleeper, it includes BOTH of you! ;) Since you have at least 5,500 points, and you can purchase up to 10,000 points per year, may I suggest that you purchase enough to get to 15,000 points?

That way, it includes the rail fare for BOTH of you PLUS a roomette PLUS 2 meals for BOTH of you in the Diner! ;)

If you do purchase 2 tickets for her for a round trip in coach, I second the idea of making 2 separate reservations. That way, you could pick up the return tickets in Denver when you return, instead of "not losing them" during your stay in Denver!

... it includes the rail fare for BOTH of you PLUS a roomette PLUS ** meals for BOTH of you in the Diner! ;)
I found this out recently when I cashed in some points for travel. What a great deal !!!...

And the difference in points between a Roomette and a Bedroom are minimal, but the experience is much better and roomier ...

AGR can not make paid Amtrak reservations and Amtrak reservations can not make AGR reservations. You must call each one separately.
Is this a coach redemption or a sleeper redemption? (I know you said you have enough for coach for yourself. So you have at least 5,500 points.) If it is a sleeper, it includes BOTH of you! ;) Since you have at least 5,500 points, and you can purchase up to 10,000 points per year, may I suggest that you purchase enough to get to 15,000 points?

That way, it includes the rail fare for BOTH of you PLUS a roomette PLUS 2 meals for BOTH of you in the Diner! ;)

If you do purchase 2 tickets for her for a round trip in coach, I second the idea of making 2 separate reservations. That way, you could pick up the return tickets in Denver when you return, instead of "not losing them" during your stay in Denver!
The AGR points were earned on our roomette trip on the CZ and CL to D.C. in October. Unfortunately those 7500 pts won't get us a sleeper. Is there a difference in how points were earned? I thought points were points however they were earned. I'll look into the cost of purchasing the extra points. If it's near the cost of the three one-way tickets it make it a "no-brainer" ...roomette for sure. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

The AGR points were earned on our roomette trip on the CZ and CL to D.C. in October. Unfortunately those 7500 pts won't get us a sleeper. Is there a difference in how points were earned? I thought points were points however they were earned. I'll look into the cost of purchasing the extra points. If it's near the cost of the three one-way tickets it make it a "no-brainer" ...roomette for sure. Thanks for the advice.
$275 to buy 10,000 points.

I believe 10,000 purchased points are $275.

Thanks for all the advice folks...

Here's my plan. I'll buy the additional points for the roomette to Chicago, 7500 pts for $206.25. With the current Amtrak winter sale we can then purchase two coach tickets for $152 (for two) for our return trip to Denver. That way we at least get a roomette and meals one way. Going coach both ways and using 5500 points would have been a cost of $228. It's worth the difference for a roomette and meals one way.

Does this look like a sound way to approach this or am I missing something?

Jim

Thanks for all the advice folks...

Here's my plan. I'll buy the additional points for the roomette to Chicago, 7500 pts for $206.25. With the current Amtrak winter sale we can then purchase two coach tickets for $152 (for two) for our return trip to Denver. That way we at least get a roomette and meals one way. Going coach both ways and using 5500 points would have been a cost of $228. It's worth the difference for a roomette and meals one way.

Does this look like a sound way to approach this or am I missing something?

Jim
Sounds like a smart plan! Good choice of names too, one doesnt run into a Jim everyday except in my house! :lol:

Best of both worlds also, sun and snow!Have a great trip!

I just did a combined AGR/Regular reservation yesterday. I first went to the AGR reservation person and made the AGR part of the trip then she transferred me to the regular reservations person to finish it. I chose to have the AGR ticket mailed to me and will pick up the rest at the station. All in all a very easy and friendly transaction. :D

I just did a combined AGR/Regular reservation yesterday. I first went to the AGR reservation person and made the AGR part of the trip then she transferred me to the regular reservations person to finish it. I chose to have the AGR ticket mailed to me and will pick up the rest at the station. All in all a very easy and friendly transaction. :D
It may be one transaction, but I bet it's two reservations that might be linked together.

If you really enjoy train tavel, I'd save the points for loopholes. Like my $670 9-day, 8-night, across the country, all meals and beds included, super trip.

I have a question on a variation of this. Auto Train AGR points for a roomette is the usual one zone 15,000 Lorton-Sanford. That seems reasonable. What I don't like is the 20,000 points for my vehicle (yes it's a SUV). Is it possible to use AGR for sleeper and pay for the auto ($160)?

I chose to have the AGR ticket mailed to me and will pick up the rest at the station.
Why did you chose that way? :huh: Why not pick up both at the station? :huh:

If your trip is not until (say) August, you have to hold on to those tickets until August. And should you have to cancel your trip, you need to mail back the AGR tickets for the points to be put back into your account. And that may take a week or more! (Otherwise, it could be done immediately.) Even if you need to change your trip from the 15th to the 14th, you need to mail the tickets back to AGR, maybe wait a week for the points to get back into your account, THEN make a new award reservation! (Unless you have enough points in you account to make a new one.) You may find that in the 1 week+ that you have to wait the space on the 14th sells out! :eek:

I have a question on a variation of this. Auto Train AGR points for a roomette is the usual one zone 15,000 Lorton-Sanford. That seems reasonable. What I don't like is the 20,000 points for my vehicle (yes it's a SUV). Is it possible to use AGR for sleeper and pay for the auto ($160)?
Probably. But I'd pay for it out of pocket anyway. The Auto-train is so cheap, it seems silly to waste a reward on it.

Probably. But I'd pay for it out of pocket anyway. The Auto-train is so cheap, it seems silly to waste a reward on it.
No, everything must be points. The car/suv ticket is part of the same reservation number as your seats/room and you cannot split a reservation part paid/part points. It's all or nothing.

Sorry! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back