Mini Travelogue...part deux...3/20/2004

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
battalion51 said:
Leave it up to the Ambassador. If they've got the time to do the whole run, let them. If they only have one day, or a certain number of hours available to work let them do it that way. What I would do is have the Ambassador have a fax sent from the station they leave from to Miami letting the folks in Miami know that there's an Ambassador on board and what trains they will be working. If the Ambassador will be going overnight they should be allowed to stay in the dorm (pending space availability).
The mayor would be thrilled to stay in the dorm seing it is heritage equipment. :D But it is a plausible idea having an ambassidor float around the state.

engine999 said:
But it is a plausible idea having an ambassidor float around the state.
Well not if he's in an Amtrak car. Train cars don't float very well. :lol: :D :)

In fact they sink like lead balloons. :D

engine999 said:
i wonder if they would see if the doors were sealed.
They'll still sink. They might go down a bit slower with the doors sealed shut, but they will go down. There are plenty of air holes in the car that the water will use to find its way in.

engine999 said:
Dosen't the canadian have a parlour car on it for first class passengers only?
Yes, in a way, though that is not the term used. What it has is not EXACTLY like the Pacific Parlour car, if that is what you are thinking of. But it does have an Observation-tavern-lounge-dome at the rear, and that serves the role of a "special" lounge car. (there also some sleeping car rooms in that car).

But also keep in mind that the term "parlour car" originally referred to a revenue space simiilar to what is today called business class or like Acela First class, a somewhat swanky day space revenue car. (along with coaches and sleepers, as opposed to being kin to lounges and diners). It does not have that. I suppose the shorter distance trains in Canada do, of course, as they do here, under whatever name.

AlanB said:
battalion51 said:
Bill, one thing I would siggest in your Viewliner Standard bedroom, whn you're looking for your quick nap is to recline both seats into the flat position (much like the attendant does when they make up the lower berth at night). Grab a pillow, set your alarm and take yourself a little nap! The procedure to recline the seats all the way is a fairly simple procedure, there is a little grey foot pedal at the base of each seat. While pressing on the pedal take one hand and push the seat down fully reclining the seat, repeat on the other side, and voila, instant sofa.
Of course that won't help him on the Canadian, which is where he was most concerned about the lack of a couch.

But you are correct, it's very easy to drop those seats. Even in the Superliner it's not hard and basically similar.
Thanks, Battallion and Alan for the help. I think I used to know how to do it, then one time found it to be too stubbron, gave up and forgot about it.

AlanB said:
Plus there is still a cost to Amtrak, in that they would now need to cover the members with liability insurance.
Alan, you must have antivipated that I would say this so you just beat me to it. :)

Hi Railfans. As an intending tourist to America I have already booked on the internet a train trip from Chicago to San Francisco. I was thinking of booking a further journey from LA to Jacksonville as a way of seeing as much of your country as possible. Having read on your forums of rude train staff and much broken equipment, I am now wondering if I should change my plans to a road trip rather than rail. So what is the real picture of rail travel in the USA? Is it realy 80% hassle? Prospective virgin Amtrak train travellers like myself need an accurate impression!

Many thanks to Bill Haithcoat for replying to my request for advice. Ed. :D

80% hassle? I would not say so. I have 133,000 miles under my belt and about 80% of it has gone quite nicely, thank you.

Rudeness? Rudeness is everywhere....I have seen all kinds of people working on on Amtrak, but the same for planes, restaurants, stores, everywhere. Don't let the possibility of rudeness keep you back, esp for the ticket you already have.

Would you let rudeness keep you from flying? From shopping?

Broken equipment. Sure, things don't always work properly. But I don't think your seat is going to fall out onto the tracks. What about something getting "broken" in a car you would rent? Don't let the possibiltiy of some fauset spraying water too much keep you from such a neat adventure.

The Denver to Salt Lake portion of your trip from CHI to SF is probably the most beautiful mileage in the U.S.

You might want to allow some built in lateness, though, as the train from Los Angeles to Florida is well known for lateness, sometimes hours. I am sorry to say. This is seldom the fault of Amtrak, but is the fault of the frieght railroads over which Amtrak must operate. I am talking about being pulled into a siding to let the freight trains pass. Amtrak is a "visitor" on most of the tracks in this country. Just give yourself plenty of time to make your further connections in JAX.

You will have traveled two quite different routes, scenery-wise, it is a wise choice to travel both of those routes. The northern one is very mountanous and also is flat and geeen some other places. The southern route is very much desert.

Good luck---and don't let what "might happen" be an obstacle.

WAIT--I just thought of something----at some point this summer that route for that train from CHI to SF is going to be re-routed away from the Rockies, due to construction. I am not sure when your trip will be taken in relation to that. You might double check with Amtrak about that, or perhaps somebody else on this forum can help, or perhaps you can read earlier postings on here and relate that to your exact travel plans.

Thanks again for your reply and advice,....it is now my hope to book the second leg of the trip in a day or two.

Having looked at more USA rail web sites feel I have a better over view of what Amtrak travel is like.

I looked on Amtrak's press release pages and fortunatly the Zephyr "diversion" is after my trip which will be in early May. I would like to put a report of my trip "online" , so you may see how I got on! Ed. :D

caravanman said:
I would like to put a report of my trip "online" , so you may see how I got on! Ed. :D
And I would encourage you to do just that. We love to read trip reports. :)

Have a great trip! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back