Metrolink Wreck

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since you are clearly incapable of understanding these simple facts above, despite my having explained it more than once quite nicely to you, and continue to make stupid, goading statements like this current post you are now finished here! :angry: There will be no more of your posts approved by me or any other staff member since you refuse to play nice and follow the rules.
GOODBYE!
Thank you, Alan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Further, jis states that the Metrolink was cleared to leave the Chatsworth station and proceed at "restricted speed", whatever that is, to the signal at CP Topanga.
Clearly you have a comprehension problem or are confused, since I did not say anything of the sort.

If you clowns are going to try and use me for a punching bag, at least have the guts to post my last response.

RailCon BuffDaddy
I have patiently explained to you more than once how guest posting works around here. And I've mentioned that a few of the staff members had already decided that they had had enough of your nonsense and therefore were ignoring your posts and leaving them for me. It's been just about 3 hours since you made your last post which is a reasonable delay considering that there are only 6 staff members and we don't spend every waking hour on the forum waiting for you to make a post, in fact several of us actually have jobs that take us away from the forum for hours on end.

Since you are clearly incapable of understanding these simple facts above, despite my having explained it more than once quite nicely to you, and continue to make stupid, goading statements like this current post you are now finished here! :angry: There will be no more of your posts approved by me or any other staff member since you refuse to play nice and follow the rules.

GOODBYE!
The truly amazing part is that he's also been told repeatedly that if he registers for an account, he can post as often has he wants to and have them show up immediately with no staff intervention needed.

With that in mind, is it any wonder that trying to explain anything else to him was an exercise in futility? Not that I didn't have fun trying, but jeez!

Please note that all my posts have been "approved by a monitor".
Yes, I'm fully aware of that fact, since I'm the one who has approved most of them!

Also, your response to my 9:02 AM message just happens to be at 12:06 PM, the SAME moment as my last, provocative, albeit approved message.
Correct, I was busy writing a response to your 9:02 AM message and approving it for viewing, at the same time you were once again busy taunting and goading me. Posting here is a priviledge, not a right! This is not a government owned forum, so Freedom of Speech does not apply here; even though we are very liberal about what we will allow people to post.

I would appreciate the opportunity to respond to the lies, distortions and falsehoods in your 12:06 PM message, in which you characterize the Chatsworth Metrolink disaster as "one small accident".
You're welcome to respond, but unless I see something majorly different that indicates that you're actually trying to learn how rail works, it's unlikely that you post will do any better than your last one which landed in the trash can.

And once again, when comparing Metrolink to the number of people killed each year in the carnage on our highways, it is a small accident!

Can someone who knows tell us definitively whether Metrolink uses route signaling or speed signaling? If they use route signaling than a signal aspect would not uniquely identify a speed. It would indicate a route faced by the engineer, and then the engineer uses his/her route knowledge to modulate to the correct speed for such routing.

Most Western railroads use route signaling.

I think the concept would be called route signalling.

Ther are cases where the signal indicates that you will be taking a diverging move without indicating which of more than one possibile routes you will be taking.

However, every signal aspect has a defined speed limit.

Generally, the speed allowable by signal indication, the speed allowable through any given turnout, and the speed allowable on any given sectio of track can be found in the employee timetable and special instructions applicible to that particular piece of railroad.

If you clowns are going to try and use me for a punching bag, at least have the guts to post my last response.

RailCon BuffDaddy
I have patiently explained to you more than once how guest posting works around here. And I've mentioned that a few of the staff members had already decided that they had had enough of your nonsense and therefore were ignoring your posts and leaving them for me. It's been just about 3 hours since you made your last post which is a reasonable delay considering that there are only 6 staff members and we don't spend every waking hour on the forum waiting for you to make a post, in fact several of us actually have jobs that take us away from the forum for hours on end.

GOODBYE!
Good, and Thanks.

Please do not feed the trolls.
After the well-deserved "Good riddance!" folks should examine their motivations for continuing to provide a platform for this individual. What a waste of time and effort.
I think it would be a reasonable policy to require people to register after their 5th message post as a guest. It should make the rule clear for everyone and will save the moderators quite a bit of hassle too. However, if the moderators want to be gluttons for punishment.... Oh well.... :)

After the well-deserved "Good riddance!" folks should examine their motivations for continuing to provide a platform for this individual. What a waste of time and effort.
I think it would be a reasonable policy to require people to register after their 5th message post as a guest. It should make the rule clear for everyone and will save the moderators quite a bit of hassle too. However, if the moderators want to be gluttons for punishment.... Oh well.... :)
On its face, that sounds reasonable, given the recent experience here.

On its face, that sounds reasonable, given the recent experience here.
I think this thread and guest are 1 in a 1000.

Also, I don't think the software would allow us to set it up to do this.

"Guest" post has been deleted, as per the agreement of the staff, but I will answer his question, AFAIK (and remember) all that is needed to register as a member of AU is:

1. Your real name (which is not published)
  2. Your screen name
  3. Your email address (which is only known by the staff)

I believe all other entries are optional (I could be wrong.)

Unless the guest keeps using the same name over and over, there would be no easy way to enforce such a policy.

And for the rare occasions where something like this situation happens, it's not really worth the effort to come up with some manual way of tracking things.

RailCon BuffDaddy,

Registration requires nothing more than a user name, which for most people isn't their real name, and an email address. We don't sell those email addresses and we don't send out emails to our members, even though we do have that capability.

That said, don't bother to sign up as after this mornings round of comments by you, I can assure you that your registration will not be approved. In more than 10 years of running this forum, the actual owner Anthony, and I have banned about 3 people from the thousands that have registered here. You're the first to be banned before ever even joining. But I'm tired of your continued insults and goading; I'd have figured by now that you'd have learned that goading me doesn't work. But apparently not!

As for your puppet master comment, had you been smart enough to think, you'd have quickly realized that couldn't be further from the truth. Remember, I told you more than once that some of the staff members wanted me to shut things down a long time ago. And I told you that some had stopped approving your posts, leaving them for me. Simple common sense would have told you that if they were puppets, then I would have ordered them to approve your posts. Instead, I let each person decide for themselves what they were comfortable & happy with doing in regard to your posts. So much for your puppet theory! Might I suggest that next time you approach a website that you actually think and try to be a bit less antagonistic?

Next, you'll note that one of the staff addressed the heavily negative comment directed at you.

Finally, this forum exists for two major purposes. The first, to fulfill the dream of the owner Anthony who when he was only 10 years old saw a lack of information on Amtrak's website back then. So he created his own little website to try to help people better understand Amtrak, see pictures of the insides of the cars, etc. That morphed into this forum, where people even as guests can still come and ask questions about Amtrak. Questions for which answers often cannot be found even now on Amtrak's website, despite major improvements to that site. Forums that allow posting without registration are few & far between; we’re a rarity on the net.

The second purpose that this site serves is to allow railfans to discuss all things Amtrak. Part of the reason for that purpose relates to the first purpose, those who ride the trains the most and the ones most likely to have the answers that new riders are seeking.

So it is only natural when you show up with wild theories and a clear lack of understanding on how things work that some push back against you. However, I believe that I remained quite tolerant and polite with you for a considerable time, despite your constant little barbs about how long things took to show up. Certainly I was urged by many people to shut things done a long time ago, yet I continued to allow you to make your posts and I approved them. But as I said earlier, my limit was reached with your posts yesterday. And this morning's round of nonsense has sealed your fate. You are done here!

I am not suggesting that one goes out of ones way to track down use of multiple guest handles by the same person etc. It was just a random thought. At the end of the day it should be the discretion of the moderators anyway.

I can't tell you what speed is indicated by yellow over yellow, but it is indicated in the rule book and the engineer is required to know what speed is indicated by that signal aspect.
I have thought that a yellow signal meant that the train had to be operated at a speed that allowed it to stop in half the distance that the operator/engineer could see, or 20 mph, whichever is slower. But I would also have to believe that there would be specific rules for each type of train used on a track, especially one that handled both passenger and freight traffic.

I can't tell you what speed is indicated by yellow over yellow, but it is indicated in the rule book and the engineer is required to know what speed is indicated by that signal aspect.
I have thought that a yellow signal meant that the train had to be operated at a speed that allowed it to stop in half the distance that the operator/engineer could see, or 20 mph, whichever is slower. But I would also have to believe that there would be specific rules for each type of train used on a track, especially one that handled both passenger and freight traffic.
You are thinking of restricted speed. Yellow is approach, yellow over yellow in this case is approach diverging.

Surviviors say the federal liability cap is inadequate:

Four years later, survivors of Metrolink crash still hurting

"This Wednesday marks the fourth anniversary of one of the worst railroad accidents in the nation. The 25 people who died have long been eulogized and the resulting lawsuits closed. But scores of victims will still face the consequences of a federal liability cap they say has left them inadequately compensated."

"Federal investigators blamed the collision on a Connex engineer who, they concluded, failed to see a stop signal because he was texting on his cellphone. There also was evidence that Connex did not heed warnings about the engineer's cellphone use on duty.

"In the years since, attempts by the victims to recover damages were frustrated by a 1997 federal law — the Amtrak Reform and Accountability Act — that set a liability ceiling of $200 million per passenger rail accident."

Chatsworth_train_collision_20080913-022716.jpg

Chatsworth wreck aftermath showing the impact area with the locomotive and forward two cars of the Metrolink train (left), and the two lead Union Pacific locomotives (right). Wikimedia Commons photo.

Back