Metrolink Using BNSF Locos For Cab Cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've noticed that the BNSF engine's are not being used on the OC line. Just a guess but could it be all the work OCTA did grade separating so no need? Anyone else have relaible news?

To which I say come work for the railroad and have to deal with the BS we deal with. I don't want to have some train master who doesn't know a thing about running a train or being a conductor telling me what I could have done differently when my train hits a trespasser. Railroads constantly hire Train Masters who have jack experience on any train. They're the morons telling us how to do our jobs and they don't know a thing about what we do.
Seems like this is more a reflection on your management than on cameras in the workplace....
Come do our job. You'll quickly change your statement.

Inward facing cameras, like many other monitoring devices do not necessarily prevent accidents, but they may help in investigating what happened after the fact. Just like Cockpit Voice Recorders and Flight Data Recorders do not prevent accidents but help enormously in investigating them.

There is a reasonable discussion ot be had about whether inward facing cameras help investigations sufficiently to trump the perceived need for privacy. Additionally, whether the data can be used for day to day operation monitoring or not should be part of the Union contract. CVRs for example are not generally used for day to day operation monitoring AFAIK. Maybe saxman can tell us more.

Merely the fact that there is bad management and bad Union contracts is not an argument either for or against using a tool to help accident investigations.

Just my partially informed opinion I might add and I am open to corrections as usual.

I've noticed that the BNSF engine's are not being used on the OC line. Just a guess but could it be all the work OCTA did grade separating so no need? Anyone else have relaible news?
They have been used on the OC line, but only on trains that turn at Laguna. NCTD doesn't want them in Oceanside because they don't meet yard clearances apparently.

They have been used on the OC line, but only on trains that turn at Laguna. NCTD doesn't want them in Oceanside because they don't meet yard clearances apparently.
They have been 50/50 on the Ventura line. I heard that the overnight layover yard at Moorpark has a problem with the additional length!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was for a time I was a Mission Controller on a major unmanned spacecraft. When on duty (the time on shift could last 12-14 hours) there was no right to privacy. You are in charge of a multi-billion dollar machine. When you are in charge of a machine transporting people, there, in my opinion, is no right to privacy. You are doing a job with life threatening consequences if you make a mistake.

Back