Menu Updates on Food Facts

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicken on a biscuit has made its way onto the breakfast menu of a number of national chains, so someone must eat them (not me, however) Cage free-organic would be great, but major commissaries would probably not go that route because of volume and price considerations. They are expensive.
I've had the Chicken on a Biscuit a couple times on the train and found it to be quite good. Of course you want a good amount of gravy to get that Chicken down in case it is dry!

Chicken on a biscuit has made its way onto the breakfast menu of a number of national chains, so someone must eat them (not me, however) Cage free-organic would be great, but major commissaries would probably not go that route because of volume and price considerations. They are expensive.
I've had the Chicken on a Biscuit a couple times on the train and found it to be quite good. Of course you want a good amount of gravy to get that Chicken down in case it is dry!
Chicken on a Biscuit...hmmm, "S.O.S." is now coming to mind. Hope it doesn't come to that!

Not quite, but my father spent 4 years in the Army during WW2 so I've certainly heard the stories. Under the right circumstances anything can be bad. On one island they got a boat load of lamb from New Zealand and had 30 days in a row of it. One evening my mother said to us at the dinner table " wait till you see the wonderful surprise I made for you, lamb chops" Luckily, I had good reflexes and ducked in time.

The new national menus look very good--there are actually a few things I might like, and there is more of a selection than before.

However, I'm a bit confused. The bottom box says information from Amtrak food suppliers is as of 5/8/13--that's a long time to go without an update.

The cage-free eggs is a good start (this is not perfect--that would be free-range organic--but it's something). Also a spinach omelet is a nice update.

However, the excellent selections and 2013 date at the bottom lead me to wonder if Amtrak posted an old version by mistake?

Also (and completely off the actual topic, but I am really curious), who eats chicken biscuits for breakfast? Is it a regional thing in a region I haven't yet visited? Never heard of it before.
Chick-fil-a does a brisk morning business. Apparently chicken in the morning is not a turn-off for some people.

The new national menus look very good--there are actually a few things I might like, and there is more of a selection than before.

However, I'm a bit confused. The bottom box says information from Amtrak food suppliers is as of 5/8/13--that's a long time to go without an update.

The cage-free eggs is a good start (this is not perfect--that would be free-range organic--but it's something). Also a spinach omelet is a nice update.

However, the excellent selections and 2013 date at the bottom lead me to wonder if Amtrak posted an old version by mistake?

Also (and completely off the actual topic, but I am really curious), who eats chicken biscuits for breakfast? Is it a regional thing in a region I haven't yet visited? Never heard of it before.
Chick-fil-a does a brisk morning business. Apparently chicken in the morning is not a turn-off for some people.
http://www.chick-fil-a.com/Food/Menu-Section/Breakfast-Items

Though the only thing I've gotten from them in the morning is a milk shake. :D (and only at the mall after my mall walk)

I must admit I buy breakfast at Chick-Fil-A once a week or so. The chicken biscuit is pretty good...so are the peach milkshakes when in season. Now I want Chick-Fil-A but they're not open today darn.

As long as they serve padagonion tooth fish as "Chilean sea bass" I can live with Amazon Cod.

Chilean sea bass is a good un-fishy fish if you like that sort of thing... But Google its image. Garsh, Mickey!

Me, my big favorites are catfish, steelhead, and rainbow trout. Which to quote Eve Marie Saint, are good but trouty.
OMG GML, where have you been!

Im loving the new desserts option description

Signature Warm Date Pudding Cake with Toffee Pecan Sauce

Individually packed classic English style pudding cake that the producer terms a Sticky Toffee Pudding that would be better described as suggested above. This item should be served warm and inverted into a 10 ounce bowl with the toffee pecan sauce ‘up.’

Sticky Toffee Pudding is one of my all time favourites but where is the custard? You can't have a traditional English pud without custard Amtrak :giggle:

Individually packed classic English style pudding cake that the producer terms a Sticky Toffee Pudding that would be better described as suggested above. This item should be served warm and inverted into a 10 ounce bowl with the toffee pecan sauce ‘up.’

Sticky Toffee Pudding is one of my all time favourites but where is the custard? You can't have a traditional English pud without custard Amtrak :giggle:
That does sound good but "individually packaged" makes it sound too mechanical and processed; much like the individually packaged cheese cakes they were/are slinging.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. ^_^ Looking forward to reports from folks who've actually eaten this. Meanwhile, I'll concur that it sounds promising.

Along with the other food slung in the Diners, the quality of the deserts has really declined during the Boardman/Mica nickel and dime cuts.

Not that long ago the CONO and Crescent were serving Bourbun Pecan Pie, the Empire Builder (.Enhanced Dinning) had a delicious Chocolate Bundt Cake, and on all trains the Ice Cream was Hagen-Daas and the Cheese Cake was really tasty!Now we get a so called Cheesecake in a Cup and Wal-Mart Quality Blue Bunny Ice Cream.

The thread about Mr.Moorman and the Diner on the Crescent is very promising.

Perhaps when (If?) the New Viewliner Diners ever make it into Service, the quality of the food and deserts will at least go back to the level of a couple of years ago ( which was very good in most people's opinion) before Boardmans dishonest promises to Mica!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
So the breakfast special on the Crescent this morning was the chicken biscuits, and I tried them out of curiosity, and they weren't bad. LSA, Waiter, and a Chef. Working hard to handle the diner, but polite and efficient. Dinner was the steak, very good, some of the new desserts were not in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back