Meet engineer

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sjm

We have a first time trip booked in July. My son with special needs is a huge train fan! I would love for him to be able to see the engineer doing his job. Does amtrak ever offer this to any of its passengers?

Not generally "offered" but, your best chance to meet the engineer might be at the start or end of the run. You would need to be on the platform when the engineer boards or leaves the locomotive. If its a long distance train, a crew change point might be a possibility.

It will all depend on the personality/mood of the engineer and if he/she is willing to take the time. There will not be an opportunity to get in the cab.

Its a long shot but, you never know until you try.. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
It does not hurt to ask and it is possible that you may be able to meet the engineer and speak with him. But in these days of security concerns and liability issues, the idea of inviting a child to climb up the side of a P42 locomotive seems pretty remote, not to mention just plain being against the rules in all likelihood.

I know a crew change point is Toledo... but yeah, It's like 2 AM When they get there, so they really aren't in the mood to chat.

It all depends on the crew to be honest. One time I won't mention the train nor the place. I was awaiting my train and a different one came in and I was shooting it. The incoming engineer invited me over and gave me a cab tour. What route are you taking? I've been in P42DC, P40s, and AEM7AC engines. If your in the northeast. On a high level platform he might get a peek in from the window

My son is 16 with no physical disabilities. So he is not a small child.

We are traveling from Indiana to Norfolk VA.

One of my favorite experiences as a father 30 years ago was the opportunity for my then-4-yr-old son to be invited up into the cab of an Italian Railways electric locomotive at the Venice train station. Even though engineer and son had no common language they both understood the moment. The look of joy on my son's face when the engineer had him blow the horn was priceless. Sadly, I had no camera available to preserve the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back