Meals on 30

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I am travelling on the Capitol Limited 30 eastbound this Thursday. The train boards at 6:40pm and rolls into Pittsburgh at 5:05. I searched the Amtrak website on this and found nothing. Will there be a meal service that night, and a breakfast the following morning? If not, will the cafe car be open that early?

On a side note, my hotel check in time in PGH is not until 2pm. Any recommendations on what to do that early in the morning?

You'll have Dinner in the Diner out of Chicago ( you can pick your time at the Metro Lounge when you check in)but unless the train is,running extremely late into Pittsburgh you're SOL on Breakfast.

I suggest you day check your bags at the Amtrak Station** and hop an Uber or Lyft and head for the Famous Primanti Brothers Deli and Cafe on the 18th St. "Strip" (24Hours) for Brunch.

I forget what its called, but PGH has an elevated Tram that provides a great view of the City and area on clear days.Good way to pass the time until check in at your hotel.( perhaps your hotel will allow early check in/call them)

**Hanging out at the Dungeon like Station is not a good idea!**

Last edited by a moderator:
You will be served dinner departing Chicago. If you're in a sleeper, they will take the dinner reservation time when you check in to the Metropolitan Lounge. (Note that except for the 1st seating - which may be served even before the CL leaves the platform - all reservation times will be 1 hour later local time, as reservation times are CT and you will enter ET shortly after departure.)

You will not be served breakfast the following morning - unless the CL is very late. Breakfast in the Dining Car starts @ 6:30 and the café does not open until 6:00.

You'll have Dinner in the Diner out of Chicago ( you can pick your time at the Metro Lounge when you check in)but unless the train is,running extremely late into Pittsburgh you're SOL on Breakfast.

I suggest you day check your bags at the Amtrak Station** and hop an Uber or Lyft and head for the Famous Primanti Brothers Deli and Cafe on the 18th St. "Strip" (24Hours) for Brunch.

I forget what its called, but PGH has an elevated Tram that provides a great view of the City and area on clear days.Good way to pass the time until check in at your hotel.( perhaps your hotel will allow early check in/call them)

**Hanging out at the Dungeon like Station is not a good idea!**
Most hotels allow guests to drop off bags before check-in time, so if the hotel is nearby the station that may be the best idea. Day-checking the bags at the station would likely cost either $5 or $10 per bag, although it varies by station.

As far as transportation, much of downtown Pittsburgh is walkable. Another option is the local light rail which stops a few blocks from the station. Lastly, the road-based transportation options include the previously mentioned Uber and Lyft as well as taxis and busses.

The "tram" being referred to is likely the inclines. There are two inclines, the Monongahela and Dusquene, both of which go to the top of Mt. Washington. I would recommend riding both, potentially one up and the other down.

Although the Amtrak waiting area is not great, I would also recommend visiting the historic area of the station which is rather nice.

I just got off 30. Dinner reservations started at 7pm. We were well past Pittsburgh when breakfast started, as we were only about 20 minutes late.

Dinner is served leaving Chicago, Breakfast is served just before or after Connellsville depend it on time. Suggest going to your hotel, leave your bags with the desk or if the hotel was "light" that night they may give you your room when you arrive so you can put your bag there.

Back