meal limits?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a new Amtrak traveler, I am just learning the ropes...we are booked in a sleeper car, and understand that our meals are included in the cost. Is there a cost limit per meal or per day, or are all meal choices available at no cost? Sounds like a pretty tempting menu :)

As a new Amtrak traveler, I am just learning the ropes...we are booked in a sleeper car, and understand that our meals are included in the cost. Is there a cost limit per meal or per day, or are all meal choices available at no cost? Sounds like a pretty tempting menu :)
Plka,

You have your choice of (one) of anything listed on the menu. No exclusions except adult beverages, which are extra. By the way, I usually base my gratuity to the server (if service warrants) on the posted price of the menu items.

Enjoy your trip, and welcome!

Each person in your room(ette) gets a meal. You get an entree', dessert & beverage from the menu. You have to pay for alcoholic drinks. Cafe/SSL food is not free, just the meals in the dining car.

Meals in the Dining Car are included in your sleeper fare. Order your meals off the menu as offered. Wine is not included and must be paid for. Food in the Snack Car is not included. Most people think that a tip based on the value of the food served would be in order provided good service is given. If there are less than four people in your party you will get to share a table with other passengers. Most people think that this is a pleasant experience and makes the meal more enjoyable. Another option is to eat your meals in your room. Service for this is provided by your Sleeping Car attendent and should be arranged with him/her in advance. Again, a tip would be in order. I hope this answers some of your questions. If you have a need for additional information, please ask.

Also, from my experience, you are allowed only one can of soda (no refills). However, this might depend on the LSA in charge that day.
The Service Standards Manual says a second can of soda (or second bottle of water) is supposed to be given free to sleeper passengers upon request.

I believe that appetizers, even if on the dining car menu, are not included with Sleeper passenger's meals.

Also, from my experience, you are allowed only one can of soda (no refills). However, this might depend on the LSA in charge that day.
I don't recall seeing any appetizers on Amtrak dining car menus. Dinners typically come with a salad, but that's included automatically.

I believe that appetizers, even if on the dining car menu, are not included with Sleeper passenger's meals.

I don't recall seeing any appetizers on Amtrak dining car menus. Dinners typically come with a salad, but that's included automatically.

I don't remember seeing appetizers either. There are sides listed for breakfast, but I did not get charged for those.

I do recall getting a second glass of milk with no problems/charges at one of my meals.

The Service Standards Manual says a second can of soda (or second bottle of water) is supposed to be given free to sleeper passengers upon request.
Unfortunately, too many Amtrak employees not only can't read but have nobody teach them the manual. That is the only reason <_< I can think of as to why the manual is so widely ignored and why management fails to either enforce the manual or modify it to make it more closely match reality.

Speaking of meals, wouldn't it be nice if a solo rider in a sleeper were able to "share" his/her meals with coach passengers (since the "extra" meal is included in the cost of the room(ette). I'm thinking that you could either invite someone you met in the lounge car or perhaps have the conducter instruct one of the CAs to select someone that appears (not by looks, but just a general feeling or from hearing the person express a desire to eat in the diner if s/he could afford it) to be unable to afford to eat in the diner.

Speaking of meals, wouldn't it be nice if a solo rider in a sleeper were able to "share" his/her meals with coach passengers (since the "extra" meal is included in the cost of the room(ette). I'm thinking that you could either invite someone you met in the lounge car
In a way, you can do that. If you are riding solo and heading for dining car from the SSL, you can ask your coach co-passenger to accompany you, and just go and sit at the diner as if you both are sleeper passengers, order, eat, tip and walk away. The dining car attendants only ask your roomette number, they don't ask how many people are there in that roomette. I have done this once. I was a coach passenger with a friend in roomette and the sleeper friend invited me to join him for dinner. The staff assumed we both are in roomette and gave "free" food to both of us.

The menu prices are disconnected from the accomodation charge. I took advantage of this on the Eagle last week, the menu price of the 4 meals consumed exceeded the accomodation charge. Not totally sure how the accounting works in such a situation but nothing was said onboard.

Speaking of meals, wouldn't it be nice if a solo rider in a sleeper were able to "share" his/her meals with coach passengers (since the "extra" meal is included in the cost of the room(ette). I'm thinking that you could either invite someone you met in the lounge car
In a way, you can do that. If you are riding solo and heading for dining car from the SSL, you can ask your coach co-passenger to accompany you, and just go and sit at the diner as if you both are sleeper passengers, order, eat, tip and walk away. The dining car attendants only ask your roomette number, they don't ask how many people are there in that roomette. I have done this once. I was a coach passenger with a friend in roomette and the sleeper friend invited me to join him for dinner. The staff assumed we both are in roomette and gave "free" food to both of us.
Did you sign both "checks"?

If memory serves me you have a choice of two: Chicken tenders - yes or no. :) Of course you have to pay for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is technically theft of services and if the LSA catches you they could ask you to pay for the meal. And they might even tell the conductor who could decide to call the police or throw both of you off the train.

That is technically theft of services and if the LSA catches you they could ask you to pay for the meal. And they might even tell the conductor who could decide to call the police or throw both of you off the train.
In the incident I mentioned, once seated in the Diner, we told the LSA that we are traveling together but one of us is in roomette and one in coach, she herself suggested that she can offer dinner to both passengers under the sleeper passenger's roomette number. Needless to say, we tipped her well for the "generosity"

The dining car attendants only ask your roomette number, they don't ask how many people are there in that roomette. I have done this once.
Again, it might depend on the LSA, but about 1/2 the time, I have been asked to show the wait-person my ticket stub. Though, I guess if they see you checking it yourself for your car and room number, they might be good enough.

Beyond that, if they see someone leaving thru the coach end of the dining car, they might get suspicious.

I remember the Chicken Wings as an Appetizer, but they were terrible :help: ! (Ive had the real stuff in Buffalo! :lol: ) It's been several years since I recall seeing appetizers on a Diner Menu! I think Amtrak has left this for the Cafe Cars???

The dining car attendants only ask your roomette number, they don't ask how many people are there in that roomette. I have done this once.
Again, it might depend on the LSA, but about 1/2 the time, I have been asked to show the wait-person my ticket stub. Though, I guess if they see you checking it yourself for your car and room number, they might be good enough.

Beyond that, if they see someone leaving thru the coach end of the dining car, they might get suspicious.
I'd be happy to join anyone for dinner but I'll happily and gladly pay for mine.

Btw.... isn't the 'coach end' of the Dining Car either the Lounge Car or SSL?

I once paid for a coach passengers lunch. She was an elderly African American lady on the silver star who had been seated with me for lunch. She was not sure she wanted to eat lunch there, and the lsa wasn't being helpful. I told the lady, " your lunch is on me if you like". The lsa did a double take. I stated to the lsa that I meant it. The lsa Changed her demeanor. The lady asked why, and I said, "because you are a nice person and I want you to have lunch with me.". We ended up having a nice lunch together and went our own ways.

I'd be happy to join anyone for dinner but I'll happily and gladly pay for mine.

Btw.... isn't the 'coach end' of the Dining Car either the Lounge Car or SSL?
yes, and I have often left the diner and gone directly to the lounge car without anyone asking any questions. I'm pretty sure that I am not the only one so I don't think anyone is going to be suspicious of this activity.

In the incident I mentioned, once seated in the Diner, we told the LSA that we are traveling together but one of us is in roomette and one in coach, she herself suggested that she can offer dinner to both passengers under the sleeper passenger's roomette number. Needless to say, we tipped her well for the "generosity"
Well that is vastly different than what you originally suggested, which would indeed be considered theft of service.

As for your experience, if that happened within the last 2 or 3 years, then that LSA herself could be in serious trouble. Amtrak has taken specific steps to stop this practice. For many years, it was indeed possible to bump into someone and add them to your room and/or bring them into the dining car and "get away" with pretending that they were traveling together.

Now, you must add someone to your room prior to departure. It cannot be done onboard anymore. And the LSA should NOT be handing out free meals like that.

So please be careful with suggesting that others try this. I know you meant no harm, but it could get someone into serious trouble.

Can you pay for the food of a Coach passenger so that you can eat with him/her? I do not think this breaks regulations.
Absolutely! That's perfectly acceptable. Amtrak doesn't care who pays for the meal, as long as it's not Amtrak.

Trying to get a free meal when one isn't entitled is another matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back