Maximum mileage in 15 days?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interested to know which airlines you are looking at to get the low fare to Boston.
I'd be interested too, but when I tried to find that $409 fare again today using Hipmunk... https://www.hipmunk.com/ ...it wasn't there! So using Hipmunk I repeated the fare search for LON to BOS for travel on 24 Feb, 23 Mar and 20 Apr and was quoted $499, $469 and $279 flying WOW or $236 on 20 Apr flying non-stop on Norweigian Air Shuttle. Those were one-way fares. Fares for LON to ORD were $51 to $95.

Those same dates for LON to ORD (Chicago) were $693, $719 and $580, respectively.

So I guess the airlines are a bit like Amtrak - fares change. It also appears that savings can be had by separately booking parts of the trip (LON to BOS plus BOS to ORD = $236 + $95 = $331 on 20 Apr as opposed to the $580 quoted for LON to ORD). But, unlike Amtrak, round trip bookings can save a considerable amount.

P.S.: FYI, while I do use Hipmunk, Kayak or any of the other travel sites when searching for airline fares, I always do the booking with the airlines. As seldom as I actually fly, I've seen no price difference between the airlines and the travel sites. My experience is the same with hotels, but I don't get out much. That WOW Airline looks interesting: as of last month they've a fleet of four airplanes and are based in Keflavik; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOW_air

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again for your help, I also prefer to book direct, even after a search engine has found the deals... seems more secure, somehow to book direct with an airline than a 3rd party.

Cheers,

Ed :cool:

Here's a wild idea. If you wanted to rack up the most miles on both Amtrak and the airplane, Etihad has a flight from LON to ORD with a 20+ hour layover in Abu Dhabi. But it's $1,696 with a 43 hour total duration. Good chance to see some of the Emirates if you've never been there. :p

Reminds me of the Trip I took this September on a 12-Segment Pass:

Coast Starlight: Bay Area to Los Angeles

Pacific Surfliner: Los Angeles to San Diego
Pacific Surfliner: San Diego to Los Angeles

SouthWest Chief: Los Angeles to Chicago

The Cardinal: Chicago to New York

Carolinian: New York to Charlotte
Carolinian: Charlotte to New York

Adirondack: New York to Montreal
Adirondack: Montreal to Schenectady

Lake Shore Limited: Schenectady to Chicago

Empire Builder: Chicago to Portland

Coast Starlight: Portland to Bay Area

Single-Night Hotel Stays in Los Angeles, New York, Charlotte, New York, and Montreal

Everything Else: Direct Connections and Passing Straight Through!

P&SR, That sounds a great trip!

How far in advance did you make your plan and the reservations for the specific trains, and how many days did the trip take?

All coach, or some upgrades to sleeper?

I am begining to see that the 12 segment pass might be better than trying to squeeze too much into the 15 days/8 segment one.

Thanks,

Ed. :cool:

P&SR, That sounds a great trip!
Thanks for your interest. Yes, the Trip was memorable and truly outstanding.

It all came together in a remarkably short time. My wonderful Moonlight Express suggested that it was a good season for another cross-country Rail Adventure. Since she had to work, she encouraged a solo adventure so I could then tell her all about it. Since I was just recovering from a serious illness and had just wrapped up some very demanding family business, she advised that getting away to celebrate would be a good idea. And, as always, she was so right!

Planning began on August 17th, and came to completion that same day. (Being both quick and decisive really helps here.)

I purchased the Pass on-line the next day, August 18th for Travel to begin August 31st (13 days later). I knew the Pass could be refunded before the Travel Date in case I could not make satisfactory Reservations.

That same day (August 18th) I telephoned Amtrak to make all of my Reservations, with a good itinerary exactly mapped out to minimize any uncertainties while on the phone. Fortunately, every Segment I asked for had availability for the Pass. (I think everything except the highest Coach Bucket qualifies.) So it was all confirmed right that same day.

Then I had to go and pick up my Pass in person, not wishing to trust to timely delivery through the U.S.Mail. So on August 20th I made on-line Reservations for a Preliminary Trip to be made on August 24th for exactly that purpose. Catching the morning Amtrak Bus from my home-town in the North Bay, I arrived at the Martinez Station, rode to Oakland Coliseum, transferred to BART, and arrived downtown in San Francisco. Heading out on foot, I found the new Temporary Trans-Bay Terminal (Bus Services), which includes a (Temporary) Full-Service Amtrak Station (but no Tracks or Trains). So I picked up my Pass right there, and continued the day riding Cable Cars, Heritage Street Cars, Light Rail, and the CalTrain to San Jose, where I caught Amtrak back to Martinez for the last bus home to the North Bay. Very fine indeed.

On Travel Day, August 31st, I caught the early Commuter Bus into San Francisco, walked to CalTrain, and rode to San Jose to catch the South-Bound Coast Starlight as the first segment of my Trip. Spent that night in Los Angeles, then continued as per the routings listed above.

Summary: Triple-overnight run in Coach from Los Angeles to the East Coast (South-West Chief plus Cardinal).

Four-night continuous run in Coach from Montreal back to the Bay Area (via Schenectady, Chicago, and Portland).

So seven Night on the Train, and five Night in Hotels as stated (Los Angeles, New York coming and going, Charlotte North Carolina, and Montreal.)

Total of 12 nights making 13 days of Travel.

Hotel Choices were as follows:

Metro-Plaza in Los Angeles (close to Union Station).

Hampton Inn Manhattan Soho (close to direct Subway Line to Penn Station, and Times Square).

Super-8 Downtown in Charlotte NC (economical, and convenient by Taxi).

Hotel St-Denis in the University Quarter of Montreal (great old-time Atmosphere, lively location, and walkable to the Station when it isn't pouring Rain).

All Coach, because this is my substitute for "Camping Out". I'd much rather "Camp In" with a roof over my head. Bring a Blanket. Great scenery with tremendous variety. The usual combination of joy and misery, confidence and uncertainty, bubbling energy and dragging exhaustion... as all of us know so well who have ever undertaken a similar Adventure. Lots of great food, and some mediocre. All in all, a Fine Experience, to be enjoyed again whenever opportunity permits!

Best regards for your own Trip Planning. I do find that the 12-Segment Pass offers far greater Flexibility... especially for those who want to see or do anything on their Trip besides just Riding the Rails!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back