Major shakeup coming for Metrolink

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! That would finally bring Metrolink fully into the TAP card system... that's a really good thing!

The downside is that I doubt there is a way to integrate Amtrak ticket sales into these machines, like the old TVMs. But I suppose with the switch to eTicketing, that functionality isn't nearly as useful or necessary.

They seriously need to invest in ONLINE / APP ticket purchase system.
They're doing that as well.
They could have eliminated much of the lost revenue from broken machine problem if there was a plan B (Online / APP ) for riders. Also, why not add a ticket machine on the train? If vandalism is a big problem, why don't they add payment options on the trains themselves?

Im glad they are on there way to adding online / app purchase feature but lets face it, they are WAYYYYY late to the game. I know a few people who have gotten a summons to appear for riding the train when the machine is broken. The cop writing the ticket could care less. They are told that if they can prove that the machine is down the judge will throw it out, but taking a day off to go to court and putting down a bail amount is no walk in the park. Its about as much of a hassle as getting a speeding ticket.

Also, not sure if anyone can answer this question. "Why is there a lone Metrolink Ticket Machine at San Diego Santa Fe Depot?" Metrolink goes down only as far south as Oceanside so why have a ticket machine down there that probably gets used maybe .000001% out of the year? I'm sure it could be better used at locations where Metrolink actually runs.

Back