Lynchburg to Boston via NE Regional

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernServesTheSouth

Service Attendant
Planning on taking advantage of 25% discount on NE Regional travel in early March. I need somewhere close to the station in Boston to spend night and also a place to eat a reasonably priced meal. I like meat and potatoes my wife prefers salads.

You guys have provided a lot of great information, so here I am again once again asking for info.

If you can swing it, the Westin Copley Place is literally across the street from Back Bay Station. It's connected to a mall which has a lot of good restaruants, including a Legal Seafoods. Plus you can easily walk from there down Newbury Street which has a lot of nice places to eat.

The only drawback is that this hotel can be a bit pricey.

Planning on taking advantage of 25% discount on NE Regional travel in early March. I need somewhere close to the station in Boston to spend night and also a place to eat a reasonably priced meal. I like meat and potatoes my wife prefers salads.
You guys have provided a lot of great information, so here I am again once again asking for info.
The Westin Waterfront is a two-block walk from South Station. There's a pub restaurant in the hotel which is heavy on the meat-and-potatoes. Both are overpriced for what you get, though; the only real value IMO is the convenience to South Station, and the only reason I actually stayed there was that I was attending a convention there. Word at the convention was that there were practically no restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.

I nearly always stay with friends in Cambridge and enjoy home cookin', so I'm otherwise not much help here.

I personally prefer to always board trains at South Station and not Back Bay station because you get the best choice of seats.

The intercontinental is new and beautiful and not far from south station. Other choices include the Langham in Post Office Square, there is a downtown Hilton. There is also the Hyatt Regency which is right in downtown crossing and I have gotten on hotwire for like $70/night. However, I am personally boycotting this hotel after they summarily dismissed all of their housekeeping staff earlier this year and replaced them with lower paid staff, but it is within easy walking distance or a 1 stop ride on the red line to south station.

Two other good choices would be the W on Stuart Street which is BRAND new and within walking distance, plus there is a courtyard by marriott right by the tufts medical center which is also a short walk.

I'm a "fan" of the Holiday Inn / HI Express sites. There is a pretty decent HI Express a few miles short of South Station, but about a five block walk (or courtesy van) to the "T", which then takes just a few minutes to reach South Station......

At the recent Gathering last October, I think we paid about $135 a night. Clean, safe area, and a couple of chain (Applebee's?) restaurant's within walking distance from the Hotel.

Now, if $$$ is no object, then I'd go with something downtown, however, I'm a cheapskate.............

Here's some info on the property,....

Parker house. Nice place. Just take the red line to Park Street.

Durgin Park has nice steaks in the Quincy Market area. Take the green line from Park Street to Government Center and walk about a block and a half. GREAT steaks!

Stephen

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of good suggestions.

I am at a loss about the various stations in Boston. Can someone give me a brief run down on each? I am interested in safety and neighborhood since we will be arriving in Boston at 8pm, if on time.

I work in the financial district in Boston so arrive at and depart from South Station every workday.

I think, however, that you would do best by looking for a hotel in the Back Bay area. As you exit Back Bay Station just turn right and walk a couple of short blocks and you are in Copley Square (Boylston St and Huntington Ave are right there). Here is a web-site of interest: www.bostonbackbayhotels.com. Yes, Boston hotels can be pricey, but with a little effort I think you can find something reasonable. Maybe The Lenox on Huntington Ave?

The great thing about Boston is the extensive subway system. For example, just hop on the Green Line at Copley and get off at Government Center and you are just a short walk to Durgin Park at Quincy Market (I second Acela150 on that!!!) Good food and reasonably priced!

I reiterate that I would save your money and not stay in the Back Bay area. Plus, I really prefer to board at South Station. Anything downtown or within walking distance from South Station will be fine at 8 pm at night.

Areas to avoid would mean that you would be on the T - and that in my opinion would include anything in places like Dorchester, Roxbury, or south of the Andrews T stop on the red line. you can go north on the red line all the way up to alewife and be perfectly in a safe neighborhood. I would avoid anything on the orange line to the west/south past Mass Ave (one stop after Back Bay, DEFINITELY avoid ruggles) and steer clear from anything on the Blue line.

You could stay on the silver line but I wouldn't go anywhere past where the Seaport hotel is into South Boston.

Durgin Park, in my opinion, is a tourist trap. If you want great Boston food, pay a visit to the boards at www.chowhound.com and get some recommendations. If you want seafood, you could try Legal Sea Foods or the Union Oyster House. For great steak, check out Moo (Beacon Hill) or KO Prime, which is at the Nine Zero. the Nine Zero is a beautiful and very modern hotel on Tremont Street which would be another good option for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back