Low Bucket Rooms WAS to ATL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year on the Empire Builder, I got off at GBB instead of CHI. I told the SCA, who said "You can get off whenever or where ever you want." Granted this was from one of the worst SCA's I'd ever encountered - so take that comment with a grain of salt.
Your suggestion that you encountered one of the worst SCA's in your riding history leads me to believe that apathy and not policy ruled the day. The question is if there is an actual policy - in writing - on this.

For comparison sake.

WAS to NOL

Cheapest Airfare is $230 each way + $30 luggage = $260.00 or $520 R/T + $15.00 per day LT parking and a glass of water if you are lucky

Total trip for two (4 days) = $1100.00 Travel time about 3 hours

Amtrak

CLP to NOL on the Crescent

$229.00 each way $458.00 R/T but that is for two in a bedroom at low bucket. Includes three meals, parking is free Travel time is 24 hours

Total trip cost is $916.00 Nearly $200 less than the costs of flying .
Excellent analysis... and not mentioned, the additional cost to get from the Airport into downtown New Orleans, and to get back out to the airport on departure. Can't recall the cab fare from the airport, but I'm thinking the train station is much closer to center city - and the French Quarter. Although the New Orleans airport is not too terribly far from downtown, as in some cities. But in NYC to get from the airport to downtown is quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back