Longest routing?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably would help to know where you'll be starting the trip. 2 zones from the east coast will be different from two zones from the west coast.

Betty wins, JOL-SEA would be the Longest but I actually like the MIA-ELP routing myself, Viewliners and Superliners and when I did it I went via NOL (and thus had a night in NOL in my Dime) not sure if it would be allowed now???

From another thread:

One super long routing that I have learned about is NOL to CHI to LAX on SWC and them LAX to SEA. I think it is 100+ hours but it would require you to start I'm NOL. Still it is a 2 zone trip. All three train routes are great. Also you do get a few hours to wander around Chicago if trains are on time
Comes out to about 97 hours. Another good trip.

If someone could convince Amtrak to add the route, CBS - PDX - LAX - ELP would be a very long trip as well without breaking any rules. (The route isn't yet published, but I'd imagine it's more because no one has requested it, as the connections would all be legal if it wasn't for the broken PDX connections with the Builder at this time.)

Another route that I've been considering taking a trip on a two-zone reward is MSP - PDX - SAC - DEN. Lengthen that to CBS and while you don't get the absolute longest route, you get close (about 90 hours of train time) and experience the PPC (hopefully) and get some amazing scenery through Glacier, near PDX, and through the Colorado Rockies.

As someone who has never been on trip anywhere near 90 hours but wants to: Do you use pay points once? Or per train? I.E. for a roomette, would it just be 20,000 AGR?

From another thread:

One super long routing that I have learned about is NOL to CHI to LAX on SWC and them LAX to SEA. I think it is 100+ hours but it would require you to start I'm NOL. Still it is a 2 zone trip. All three train routes are great. Also you do get a few hours to wander around Chicago if trains are on time
I'm just putting together ideas for trips through Amtrak's website and it says from CHI-LAX the Texas Eagle would add nearly twenty more hours on to the trip. I've never done a trip anything like this so forgive me if I overlooked something obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who has never been on trip anywhere near 90 hours but wants to: Do you use pay points once? Or per train? I.E. for a roomette, would it just be 20,000 AGR?

From another thread:

I'm just putting together ideas for trips through Amtrak's website and it says from CHI-LAX the Texas Eagle would add nearly twenty more hours on to the trip. I've never done a trip anything like this so forgive me if I overlooked something obvious.
It's points per Rez. I'm doing a 2-zone roomette (20,000) From TOL to EMY via LAX - 3 trains - LSL-SWC-CS.

The points are per trip/reservation, not per train.

Example if you go from BOS to TOL, you could go;

1) BOS-TOL directly on the LSL = 1 train

2) BOS-NYP-TOL via a Regional connecting to the LSL = 2 trains

3) BOS-WAS-TOL via a Regional connecting to the CL = 2 trains

4) BOS-PHL-PGH-TOL via a Regional connecting to the Pennsylvanian connecting to the CL = 3 trains

All for a roomette would cost 15,000 points.

Thanks! I just wasn't sure if it changed when making multi-city reservations instead of a regular one. That answers it.

Thanks! I just wasn't sure if it changed when making multi-city reservations instead of a regular one. That answers it.
It has to be a routing that can be pulled up w/o using multi-city on the website though.

Its also worth while pointing out that it is points per Rez for specified number of zones AND that if it is some form of sleeping accommodation it covers multiple passengers. For example 20k points covers roomette for 2 zones AND 2 passengers. A pretty sweet deal

Experimenting with city pairs and trying to get the best bang for the buck, I noticed Columbus,Wi to Burlington,Ia is a published route. Normally it takes about eight hours between the two cities,but being there is no same day connection in Chicago, the routing involves the EB connecting with the CS and CZ. Five nights on the train and add two coach tickets from Chicago to Columbus and Burlington to Chicago and you have a round trip. It's probably a two zone reward,because you are entering and leaving another zone,even though you are leaving and arriving in the same zone. You can;t do it in reverse from Burlington to Columbus. I'm surprised this a published route and you certainly are getting your points worth, but then again, this is solely for riding the train,which is fine with me.

Back