Locked bathrooms on the Meteor

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please note that this was in coach. Being in coach is a completely different experience than being in a sleeper.

I have seen a locked restroom being opened for one person to use. I doubt it would have been a celebrity. A celebrity would not be riding in coach.

I have never seen a restroom being cleaned in coach while en route. Never.

Please note that this was in coach. Being in coach is a completely different experience than being in a sleeper.

I have seen a locked restroom being opened for one person to use. I doubt it would have been a celebrity. A celebrity would not be riding in coach.

On the long haul trains with coach attendents I have always seen them cleaning them in coach. I saw that yesterday on one. On the NEC there are cleaners who hop on and off and clean toilets between Stamford and Philadelphia. I have seen them cleaning the restrooms.

If it was dirty, why didn't you just CLEAN IT YOURSELF!

I am sick and tired of the laziness springing up all over this nation. People need to take responsibility for their actions. Don't blame others for everything!

On the long haul trains with coach attendents I have always seen them cleaning them in coach. I saw that yesterday on one. On the NEC there are cleaners who hop on and off and clean toilets between Stamford and Philadelphia. I have seen them cleaning the restrooms.
I'm glad for you, Hal, that you have seen them on the NEC. Being in the midwest, I have been on the NEC only one time, so I cannot comment on the NEC. I have taken coach several times in the Capitol Ltd, several times on the Zephyr, several times on the Empire Builder, etc. Never have seen them cleaned.

As to the other "Guest" who stated I should clean it myself - I did clean the sink and around the toilet. I did not have a mop, otherwise I would have cleaned the floor. DO NOT ASSUME that I did not do what I could to clean it. About "laziness", how about you showing yourself as a member and stop trying to hide behind anonymity????

I am sick and tired of the laziness springing up all over this nation. People need to take responsibility for their actions. Don't blame others for everything!
I didn't realize part of the contract for carriage with Amtrak was to clean my own toilet. And I'm certainly not paid to clean Amtrak's restrooms.
I'm not going to go and make it dirty, but I'm not going to start taking a rag and scrubbing the sink, either. Amtrak hires people to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a shame that so many people are pigs when it comes to using public accommodations! Imagine what their pig sty, er homes must look like!

If every Amtrak OBS employee cleaned the restrooms in their assigned cars like our SCA JR did on the CZ

during our return from the Gathering, this thread would not be necessary!

I agree with Betty and jeb in this instance, I do what I can to help keep the restrooms and shower clean on trains but the persons hired to do this job need to do a better job in most instances!

As far as I can tell, Coach Attendant is the easiest job on LD Trains, hanging out in the Cafe, Diner or Transdorm during duty hours is not doing their job!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jayzus, dial it down a notch already.

Sure, I'm going to muck out a toilet in my civvies on a 2hr NEC train ride with Salk-only-knows what kind of infectious diseases lurking in the pee-pee's and poo-poo's (not to mention the door handles, the sink handles, the flush button...). While I'm paying to be there!

Look, in a train station or a highway rest-stop they have rows of toilets and legions of toilet-cleaners trying to keep up with the mess and you still pass clogged toilets every. single. time.

Amtrak is a closed, limited space environment and the trains are much busier than they used to be. Dumb people clogging the toilets is kind of to be expected. Yeah, I'm disappointed by the state of coach toilets. I'm old enough to remember when it wasn't quite that bad. I also remember being able to spread out among multiple seats and taking batteries for my CD player because not every seat had an outlet ... and buying last minute tickets on the train with cash ... and when Greyhound was the only game in town for bus travel while Amtrak was running cheapo teaser prices on some routes some times of year so you could literally take overnight coach that was cheaper than Greyhound for some city pairs ... oh, and I remember when every 'Hound coach had that 'Hound coach smell that would never get out of your nose and you were in fear of your life in the Greyhound station ... in conclusion, these damn neighbor kids need to get off my lawn!

As far as I can tell, Coach Attendant is the easiest job on LD Trains, hanging out in the Cafe, Diner or Transdorm during duty hours is not doing their job!!
It's probably the lowest paid in wages and tips as well.

No doubt about it, there are people who, when lightly supervised, will proceed to goof off and hang out with friends instead of doing their damn job. I've worked retail, I've worked blue collar, and I've worked white collar. I feel like some of the people who are quickest to jump on their high horse would not be very pleased if a 1950's efficiency expert arrived through a time warp timed their "productive" hours. Plenty of research has been done on white collar workers, for example, and there is no such beast who works 8 or 10 or 12 hours straight producing awesome work. They are slacking off for some of those hours and if they are not (say, they work for EA) they are making so many mistakes that they and their unit are less efficient than the slackers! On the other hand, a blue collar laborer who works for 8 or 10 or 12 is literally putting their shoulder into it well over 90% of that time. It does so happen that the human body has to stop to pee and drink water, also possibly seek nourishment, though I have met blue collar workers who failed to do these things. They died early from kidney failure, diabetes, etc. Car attendant is somewhere between blue collar and service work, but it's not normal service work. They do indeed work kooky hours and have to pace themselves.

Most workers in the USA (there are some exceptions) are entitled to a ten or fifteen every four hours, and most of those workers get to take that break in a lounge away from the public, but Amtrak workers have to take their break--and do their reams of paperwork, which is not, in fact, a break--right under the public's nose, which causes endless friction. That's why every service job employer I ever had provided a break room out of the way. Not because management loved us but to avoid looking bad in front of customers.

I think the bag/dorm purchase was motivated by trying to avoid this natural friction. I think they have had to cut back on the order, though.

Its a shame that so many people are pigs when it comes to using public accommodations! Imagine what their pig sty, er homes must look like!

If every Amtrak OBS employee cleaned the restrooms in their assigned cars like our SCA JR did on the CZ

during our return from the Gathering, this thread would not be necessary!

I agree with Betty and jeb in this instance, I do what I can to help keep the restrooms and shower clean on trains but the persons hired to do this job need to do a better job in most instances!

Coach attendants are on the train two or three days. They do get down time while onboard. They do get to take breaks and have meals.

I know Coach attendants get breaks and get to eat, also sleep @ night! Much more so than the SCAs and Diner Crews!

I ride in Coach often and rarely see the Attendants except during Station Stops and in the Cafe and Diner!

Since they quit issuing pillows, their duties basically are to load their cars, assign seats where applicable, deliver meals upon request, clean up trash as needed and KEEP THE BATHROOMS CLEAN and Supplied! They are paid for these duties @ approximately 2 and 1/2 times the current Minimum Hourly Wage!

Tough as the other OBS jobs? No comparison! If you find any fault with my analysis of why they shouldn't keep the Bathrooms Clean please tell us!

Jim, it would probably help if a current or former coach attendant could chime in. Otherwise it's just guessing. Min wage is a terrible metric, btw, well below the poverty line. Just my two cents.

All I know is, I don't remember coach problems in the 1990s being like coach bathroom problems now. The big difference is that ridership has ballooned. That's ... gonna be felt.

If anything, staff seem to be less rude than they were in the 1990s, but maybe I'm less of a jerk than I was then? IDK.

The retention toilets are the source of all evils, time to go back to the good ol' days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back