Location of the sleeping cars on the CZ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the lounge car always next to the coach and the diner next to the sleeper? When they reverse the locations do they just move the engines, baggage, and transition car to the other end or do they actually switch the cars.

Also what is the reason for reversing them?

You can recognize the lounge car by the extra windows at the top.
The CZ is turned on a wye in Oakland yard, so the positioning of the cars front to back is the same on the eastbound out of Emeryville as it was when the westbound arrived Emeryville the afternoon before.
I think you misunderstand the question. I am not referring to the turn around at the end of the line. I am referring to the seasonal change in the location of the sleepers.

Demand is higher for coach seats in the winter and Amtrak sometimes needs to add a coach car to the consist.

Coach passengers are not allowed in sleeper cars.

So a coach on the end behind a couple of sleepers would necessitate coach passengers walking through 2 sleeper cars to get the the dining car or the SSL.

Or suffer the added hassle and time of putting adding a coach car to the middle of the consist.

Solution - put all the coach cars on the end during the short high demand for coach seats winter months, and then put the sleepers on the end when you're more likely to need to add a sleeper car, which is the rest of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the lounge car always next to the coach and the diner next to the sleeper? When they reverse the locations do they just move the engines, baggage, and transition car to the other end or do they actually switch the cars.

Also what is the reason for reversing them?

You can recognize the lounge car by the extra windows at the top.
To answer your first question -- Yes, dining car is always next to the sleepers and the lounge car is next to the coaches no matter which are in the front or on the rear. Also, when I rode in April the sleeping car attendant said that when they add the third sleeper this year 2017 the sleepers will most likely remain in the front instead of the rear as in past years. I guess we will just have to keep watching mid to late May to see what does or does not happen.

5 CZ train on 4-20-17 had

Engine 1

Engine 2

Baggage

Crew?

Sleeper 1

Sleeper 2

Diner

SSL/Cafe

Coach 1-where I was.

Coach 2

6 train on return was even longer. I'll sort it out after I get pics loaded to Photobucket.

5 CZ train on 4-20-17 had

Engine 1

Engine 2

Baggage

Crew?

Sleeper 1

Sleeper 2

Diner

SSL/Cafe

Coach 1-where I was.

Coach 2

6 train on return was even longer. I'll sort it out after I get pics loaded to Photobucket.
The Transition Dormitory car is mostly for crew, but also has revenue Roomettes.

There is an Accessible room on the lower level while the upper level is all roomettes (no Bedrooms).

On our last two CZ trips to DEN in August 2015 and 2016; the three sleepers were in the rear, one car up was the dining car, after that was a coach (or two) and then you entered the sightseer lounge car. I would expect it to be the same this year when we make that trip again in 2017.

Sleepers are still on the front of the eastbound CZ on 4 May. SCA told me the expected switch to the rear of the consist is scheduled for 23 May.

My 6 train on return CZ trip...

amtrip17hill_zps45mqyzgs.jpg

Just noticed that the May 25 CZ departing Chicago has THREE sleepers and they are STILL AT THE FRONT so it's looking like my SCA was correct in saying the move of the sleepers to the end of the Zephyr may not happen in 2017. If the change is not made by June 1 or even Memorial Day, I do not expect the sleepers to be moved to the end of the consist. The train departing Chicago today will still be operating as number 6 on Memorial Day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just noticed that the May 25 CZ departing Chicago has THREE sleepers and they are STILL AT THE FRONT so it's looking like my SCA was correct in saying the move of the sleepers to the end of the Zephyr may not happen in 2017. If the change is not made by June 1 or even Memorial Day, I do not expect the sleepers to be moved to the end of the consist. The train departing Chicago today will still be operating as number 6 on Memorial Day.
It's actually starting with tomorrow's(5/26) departures. It will take a few days to switch all the sets, should be complete by Sunday.

Back