LAX -> BOS Using AGR Points. Choose My Route?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sambdking

Train Attendant
Hello,

I am planning to use 35k GR points to go LAX to BOS in a roomette, but I'd like to go LAX->PDX->CHI->BOS. Will they let me do this, or force me to go LAX->CHI->BOS?

thanks

You can force it yourself!

A 1 zone reward is 15K, a 2 zone reward is 20K.

The zone boundary on the Empire Builder is Wolf Point Montana,

Redeem 15k for LAX-WPT and then 20K for WPT-BOS on the very same train! You'll spend the same number of points.

The time it gets tricky is with a 2 zone redemption.

You can also do a longer route from LAX-(SAS)-(CHI)-BOS by booking a 1 zone award LAX-ELP and a 2 zone award ELP-BOS. Plus you can extend a bit farther by going CHI-WAS-BOS! :)

Why not do this eastbound and the EB westbound? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
You can force it yourself!

A 1 zone reward is 15K, a 2 zone reward is 20K.

The zone boundary on the Empire Builder is Wolf Point Montana,
In your case LAX-PDX-CHI-BOS is a valid routing so you can book it as a 3 zone reward. SubwayNut's recommendation is the way to go for routings that do not come up on Amtrak.com. It is also a great option if you want to spend one or more nights in a zone boundary city.

Thank all! We are just doing a one way trip. I have done the EB Westbound from CHI to SEA, but have always wanted to do it Eastbound from PDX!

After catching up on the message boards after a few month absence, am I to understand correctly that my trip discussed here (planned for May 2014) will have no wine and cheese tasting sessions on either the CS or EB?

Also you will have to take the LSL out of CHI as the other connections are not possible without an overnight in CHI. That being said I would personally not risk a same day connection going east from the EB to the LSL. I would opt for the paid overnight and then take the cap back to WAS and then up the corridor on a regional.

Back