LAX and Philippe's

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And if some foamers want to rename every position at Amtrak, why not change Conductor to Radio And Ticket Person, and Engineer / Train Driver to Train Make-it-goer? Sticking with proper, official titles would go a long way toward intelligent, concise discussion.

I continue the fight to use proper spelling and proper names.
Perhaps you don't see it, but you marginalize your own intellect with this ridiculous argument. Nobody has renamed anything. YOUR employer uses the term Sleeping Car Attendant ubiquitously in its pax-facing documents (recently discussed). If you want to fight with someone about it, start with your employer though they may ask you, and rightfully so, why you don't have anything better to do with your time.

When I go to Target, WalMart, Best Buy, etc... and get done shopping, I go to the "Cashier" - even if the company calls them "Cashier - Trainee", "Lead Cashier" or "Associate". To me and most shoppers, the peoson standing at the cash register is a "Cashier'! :)

Likewise, to many people, the attendant handling the sleeping car is the "Sleeping Car Attendant' or SCA, not TAS. Ask any passenger in a sleeper who to contact if they have a problem, and almost all will say the SCA. I've never even heard a SCA announce himself/herself as a TAS! :eek:hboy: I've heard them announce over the PA that "... This is your SLEEPING CAR ATTENDANT..." :rolleyes:

To each his own of course! Employees have the right to call themselves whatever they want but I do have to say that SCA is in common usuage by Amtrak and their OBS Employees and the Members here! As was Said, Hope the Guest Posting this O/C Stuff doesnt let this interfer with their Duties, don't think Id want to ride on their Car if they were this O/C Minded! :rolleyes: (Or as my Old Grandpappy used to say: " I Don't Care What you Call Me Long as You Call Me for Dinner and Payday!!" ^_^ )

Last edited by a moderator:
Just FYI, there is no "Philippe's"...it's "Philippe", NO apostrophe, NO "s"...I hate to seem like the spelling/grammar ****, but it's not too far from "Amtrack" and the use of "SCA" rather than the correct "TAS"...
Why is their website Philleppes.com?? I never saw a business that adds an "s" to their name just for the heck of it. Your logic makes no sense. As far as grammar, your second comma in the above statement should be a period.

Last edited by a moderator:
In case you have forgotten:

Philippes.jpg

If you check again on the Philippe website, you'll see the use of "Philippe's" is a proper possessive ("Philippe's Limited Edition Bobblehead" and "Philippe's Etiquette").
I did check, and the sentence I quoted from the homepage doesn't use it in that manner. In full, that sentence is "There is a unique style of service at Philippe's, that dates back to its opening, in which, lines form in front of the long deli-display counter at each of the 'Carvers.'" (There are two unnecessary commas in that sentence, but that's unrelated to their use of "Philippe's.") It's all over their history page as an informal name for the restaurant, too: "Philippe's was established in 1908 by Philippe Mathieu...", "Philippe's was forced to move...", "To top off your meal at Philippe's...", and so on.

Also, if you want to see "Amtrack" used, drive down Interstate 60, westbound around Pomona, and you'll see a CalTrans highway sign that says exactly that.
Oh, don't get me started on Caltrans freeway signs.

I continue the fight to use proper spelling and proper names.
As do I, and I actually have about 13 years of work experience in jobs that involve copy editing to some degree. I won't insist on everyone referring to me by my exact job title(s), though. (One problem is that I can't remember what they all were. :D )

Just checked philippes.com. Trainman74 is right. Everybody calls Philippe "Philippe's," including Philippe's people. (Say that fast ten times.) It's like Soldier Field in Chicago. True Chicagoans call it "Soldier's Field." And I used to be a copy editor, too.

Can I mention my own pet peeve of people calling a particular brand of upscale store Nordstrom's?

Or that pannini is already plural, just as spaghetti is plural?

Speaking of plural's, they don't take apostrophe's.

Class dismissed.

Dovecote .... thank you, I had completely forgotten about the cash only policy!

In Italian, certainly. In English, no. No native English speaker would say, "There are left-over spaghetti in the refrigerator."
However, English speakers don't say, "There are left-over spaghettis in the refrigerator," (not valid in New Jersey) but they will say there are "panninis" in the refrigerator.

In Italian, certainly. In English, no. No native English speaker would say, "There are left-over spaghetti in the refrigerator."
However, English speakers don't say, "There are left-over spaghettis in the refrigerator," (not valid in New Jersey) but they will say there are "panninis" in the refrigerator.
Still hungry? Sure, have another SPAGHETTUM. And there are more in the fridge.

What's wrong with panninis? If it exists, pannini is an English word. The Italian for sandwiches would be "panini."

What's wrong with panninis? If it exists, pannini is an English word. The Italian for sandwiches would be "panini."
What's wrong with New Jersey residents saying there are spaghettis in the refrigerator? No one in New Jersey would put

their panninis in the refrigerator because they eat them warm!! What's the matter with youse guys, anyhow??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back