Late Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If our train status shows that it is going to be late, does that mean I can also show up late at the train station or do I have to check in by a certain time according to what the actual schedule shows? I imagine if it is, say, 3 hours late, it won't show up in 2 hours and leave without us, right? We're about a 35 min drive to the station.

I imagine if it is, say, 3 hours late, it won't show up in 2 hours and leave without us, right?
It could certainly make up time while in route, and make up some, if not all, of its lost time. That's mostly because once a train is running late, it no longer has to sit and wait at stations; it can leave as soon as ready. So, a scheduled 10 minute stop can become just 3 minutes.

So, yes, it could show up just 2 hours late, and leave without you.

However, you only need to show up with enough time to be on the platform when the train arrives. There is no "check in" (other than possibly for your luggage).

I imagine if it is, say, 3 hours late, it won't show up in 2 hours and leave without us, right?
It could certainly make up time while in route, and make up some, if not all, of its lost time. That's mostly because once a train is running late, it no longer has to sit and wait at stations; it can leave as soon as ready. So, a scheduled 10 minute stop can become just 3 minutes.

So, yes, it could show up just 2 hours late, and leave without you.

However, you only need to show up with enough time to be on the platform when the train arrives. There is no "check in" (other than possibly for your luggage).
I agree. In these cases I keep watching the train's status on the Amtrak Status Maps website, also checking the amtrak.com train status. Better early than arriving for a train that has already left.

I agree with what has been said. If the train is running more than 1 hour late at the station before, arriving 1 minute late won't hurt.

One time, while waiting for the westbound Texas Eagle (21) at Mineola Station, my family and I heard that the train was running about three hours late. With the extra time, we walked one block from the station and explored Downtown Mineola. We ate at a hardware store/restaurant called "Kitchens" for breakfast (Best French Toast I've Ever Had!). We found this place because we knew the train was running so late.

So my advice: Always arrive at the station by the time the train is scheduled to arrive. However, if you have a 3 or more hour layover, find a hardware store/restaurant near you!

I agree with all that has been said! Even if the train is 3 hours late (unless the last reporting station is only 15 miles away, I expect it to be less than 3 hours late arriving.

Once I was in the SWC and was over 1 hour late in FUL. With the padding between there and LAX, we arrived nearly on time! True, this is the destination, but there are some stops midway thru the trip that include padding too.

I'd much rather be early at the station for a late train and be on the train, then get to the station and see the red lights of the train departing! :eek:

I always assumed Amtrak's status checker widget on the website took padding into account. Doesn't it come up with the earliest possible arrival at a station, padding taken into account?

I always assumed Amtrak's status checker widget on the website took padding into account. Doesn't it come up with the earliest possible arrival at a station, padding taken into account?
Not at all!

What if between these 2 points is 3 hours and there is no padding in between, nor does it get put on a siding for a freight meet? :huh: It could arrive at your station 2 1/2 or 2 hours late! :rolleyes: And then you arrive 2:45 late and find out the train has already left! :eek:

If you live near only one train line, like I do, and take that train frequently, you start to develop a sense of how much time it can make up and from where, under the absolute best case scenario. For example, if I'm taking the eastbound CZ, and it's still at GSC an hour before scheduled departure time from DEN, I know with absolute certainty that I do not need to be in DEN for at least a couple of hours. I feel kinda sorry for some poor saps who show up at Union Station an hour before scheduled departure time, often with kids in tow, and then camp at the station for 4-5 hours.

In Austin we had a very friendly station agent who told us which defect detector the train had passed and the quickest time it had managed from there to the station. Is it possible to call the local station and speak to the station agent to get his take on the best case scenario? We ended up having to wait a while because the train showed late, then on-time, then late, then later... and so on. Wish the scheduling system was a bit more advanced than it currently is, possibly moving from pull to push notifications would help.

We have the same thing in Mineola. When everyone is wanting to know when the westbound train will arrive, the station volunteer calls the Longview station employee and receives a more accurate predicted time of arrival.

If you live near only one train line, like I do, and take that train frequently, you start to develop a sense of how much time it can make up and from where, under the absolute best case scenario. For example, if I'm taking the eastbound CZ, and it's still at GSC an hour before scheduled departure time from DEN, I know with absolute certainty that I do not need to be in DEN for at least a couple of hours. I feel kinda sorry for some poor saps who show up at Union Station an hour before scheduled departure time, often with kids in tow, and then camp at the station for 4-5 hours.

I agree with this. For instance I'm taking the westbound Empire Builder from Spokane to Seattle early tomorrow morning. Currently it's running about 1 1/2 behind as it was 1 1/2 hrs late leaving Chicago. I know there's padding in Montana; and a lot of padding between Sandpoint and Spokane. I expect it to make up most of that time by Spokane. And there's plenty of padding in the schedule between Spokane and Seattle, particularly between Everett and Spokane. If all goes well it should be into Seattle on time or, as the schedule suggests, early.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back