late for connections

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be traveling from Montana to Chicago via the Empire Builder, arriving in Chicago at 3:55, and my connection to the Pere Marquette leaves at 4:55. That is really a tight connection based on what I have read about late arrivals. What happens if we miss the second train?

If you are not Real Late (say within an Hour) they MAY hold the Train Depending on the Number of Passengers Connecting from the Builder but chances are You'll be put on a Bus or Taxi to Michigan! If n Extremely Late you'll put up in a Hotel in CHI on Amtrak's Dime, given Taxi Fare and some $$$ to Eat on! You will be Booked on the Next Days Train to Michigan!The Amtrak Staff in CHI is very Experienced @ this, they have it down to a Science so Relax! With the Current Performance Record of the Builders the Odds are Against you for making the Same Day Connection! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Given the track record of the EB this summer there is almost no chance to make that connection. For example, today's #8 is already over 3 hours behind schedule, so I would plan on being bussed to your destination from CHI.

:-(

I've missed my Pere Marquette connection a couple of times.

They've never held the PM but Amtrak made sure we got home.

Don't worry, they'll have reps available to make sure that everyone is taken care of.

Make sure that you make your presence known though, head directly to passenger services across from the ticket counters.

They won't come looking for you specifically so stay close and don't wander.

If possible, don't check any baggage so you can be ready to board whatever transportation they have available.

Last spring, the CZ was over 7 hours late and there were a lot of freaked out first time riders in my car - I was in coach that time.

One woman I spoke to had a lot of checked luggage and I looked for her but she was still waiting for her luggage.

They had one measly passenger van that held 7 passengers.

There were a few more people than that and they told those that didn't fit, to go back to passenger services to get vouchers - ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back