Late Empire builder (#8, #28)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
20 March 2011, BNSF grain train derailed near Leonia, ID, 130 miles west of Whitefish, MT. Main track out of service. Unknown repair estimate. Amtrak uses this line. Unknown Amtrak status now.
BNSF reports it will restore one main line 22 March in the morning.

I was considering taking the Empire Builder from MSP to Glenview, IL next weekend, but am concerned that it's going to be running VERY late. I can handle an hour or so, but more than that is tough.

In the last three days it's been 7+ hours late, 1 hour 25 minutes late and 12 minutes late. Any pattern I should know about?

I was considering taking the Empire Builder from MSP to Glenview, IL next weekend, but am concerned that it's going to be running VERY late. I can handle an hour or so, but more than that is tough.

In the last three days it's been 7+ hours late, 1 hour 25 minutes late and 12 minutes late. Any pattern I should know about?
Keep in mind that in the event of severe lateness Amtrak will often charter busses to take passengers from MSP to CHI and points between. Most of the lateness

you are seeing happens well west of MSP, so Amtrak has plenty of advance warning that the MSP-CHI segment will be severely delayed. There's been some

discussion on this board as to what constitutes a late enough train to warrant a "bustitution" but it would seem to be at least 4 hours.

Obviously a bus ride pales in comparison to a train in terms of comfort. But it means that you're unlikely to arrive 4+ hours late. But there's

no guarantee.

I got a phone call by Julie. She called me at 10:19 am central saying my train was cancelled and my bus took off at 10:11 am. I was thoroughly scared. I called the Winona station and they told me it was a technicality call, but the train is running and at the estimated time was correct on the website. So I don't care. It's running and I'm all packed and ready to rock!
Wanted to hear an update, how did your trip go?

I'll be taking Empire Builder 8/28 to St. Paul soon. Can someone tell me why they have been so late coming into St. Paul. Today it's running over 4 hours late, the other day about 6 hours late and last Friday 11 hours late. I love taking the train but this trip might put an end to it. Thanks, JoAnn

I'll be taking Empire Builder 8/28 to St. Paul soon. Can someone tell me why they have been so late coming into St. Paul. Today it's running over 4 hours late, the other day about 6 hours late and last Friday 11 hours late. I love taking the train but this trip might put an end to it. Thanks, JoAnn
I live in Montana. My wife and I are taking Empire Builder (EB) from Malta, Montana to Chicago in May and then Capitol Limited to Wash D.C. We have a 2 hr and 40 minute window in Chicago from the time EB is supposed to arrive and the Capitol Limited is supposed to depart. I too, am very worried about EB getting to Chicago on time. EB is a hard-luck line because many things have to work for it to be on time in Minneapolis and into Chicago. EB eastbound (train 28) mates in Spokane with one train coming from Portland, the other from Seattle. If either one is late, then EB is late leaving Spokane. EB does not get any speed east of Spokane until it gets through Glacier Nat'l Park, MT. Once it gets to about Shelby, MT, then it can get up to speed. When I was on it last year it got up to 83 mph as measured by my GPS. Eastern Montana received an almost record amount of snow this season: 11 feet in some places. Drifting is STILL a problem in eastern Montana. Trains slow down; they can't barge through the drifts. Flooding near Devil's Lake, ND is a major concern. Don't know how high the water is, but AMTRAK is concerned about the bridge at Devil's Lake. EB is a tough line to be on-time. For the last month, it averaged a 3-hour delay getting to Minneapolis. With a bit of luck and snow melt (no flooding in Devil's Lake?), the delay will improve. Finger's crossed!

I live in Montana. My wife and I are taking Empire Builder (EB) from Malta, Montana to Chicago in May and then Capitol Limited to Wash D.C. We have a 2 hr and 40 minute window in Chicago from the time EB is supposed to arrive and the Capitol Limited is supposed to depart. I too, am very worried about EB getting to Chicago on time. EB is a hard-luck line because many things have to work for it to be on time in Minneapolis and into Chicago. EB eastbound (train 28) mates in Spokane with one train coming from Portland, the other from Seattle. If either one is late, then EB is late leaving Spokane. EB does not get any speed east of Spokane until it gets through Glacier Nat'l Park, MT. Once it gets to about Shelby, MT, then it can get up to speed. When I was on it last year it got up to 83 mph as measured by my GPS. Eastern Montana received an almost record amount of snow this season: 11 feet in some places. Drifting is STILL a problem in eastern Montana. Trains slow down; they can't barge through the drifts. Flooding near Devil's Lake, ND is a major concern. Don't know how high the water is, but AMTRAK is concerned about the bridge at Devil's Lake. EB is a tough line to be on-time. For the last month, it averaged a 3-hour delay getting to Minneapolis. With a bit of luck and snow melt (no flooding in Devil's Lake?), the delay will improve. Finger's crossed!
I failed to add; when we were on EB east of Shelby, MT last year, some bone-head in a pickup truck, raced the EB to a dirt road crossing in the middle of no-where and the train engineer threw on the air and EB came to an emergency stop. (The pickup shot through the intersection and vanished.) In an "emergency stop" situation, the train conductor has to dismount the stopped train and inspect the wheels and axles for "hot boxes" or overheated wheels and bearings. All of this took about 30 minutes. So, another delay on the EB because of a bone-head.

My husband and i rode the Eb in march from Winona mn to Chicago.

First time train riders riding for fun not transportation.

just as we were leaving to go to the station Julie amtrak automated employee called to say the Eb was six hours late.

i was shocked i normally fly anyway we missed the Kid Rock concert we were going to see Amtrak refused to reimburse us

Long Story short I loved Riding the rails the employees on the train were great i am going to do it again soon but i have watched the train go by about 2 to 6 hours late (i live on the route line MN River Girl) Trains are America sad to see such an Icon in such rough shape

Cant wait to go again but not going to buy concert tickets for the same day

Hi to all the employees that work the empire builder and thanks for the Hat

EB (eastbound train 28) rolled into Malta, MT this afternoon 5 minutes EARLY! Go EB!

EB (eastbound train 28) rolled into Malta, MT this afternoon 5 minutes EARLY! Go EB!
EB eastbound (train 28) was right on time through Montana this run (1,2, 3 April) until North Dakota. It slowed near Rugby, ND and Devil's Lake, ND, probably due to high water in Devil's Lake proper. EB just rolled into Minneapolis 52 minutes late.

Amtrak (Empire Builder) busing passengers between Minot and Fargo due to high water.

Any ideas on how long or permanent the BUSTITUTION will be. Have been considering the EB for a trip late this month. Concerned over the flooding, melting snow, Devils lake issues?

This has been a good thread to follow but, seems like things are getting bleaker.

Amtrak (Empire Builder) busing passengers between Minot and Fargo due to high water.
I checked North Dakota Dept of Transportation web site, they report numerous flooding conditions (water on roadways) between Minot and Fargo. Good bet this is why Amtrak is busing passengers.

Left Minneapolis on Thursday night (April 7) for Whitefish. Train was 26 1/2 hours late--yup I got to spend 26 1/2 hours on the train. Needless to say I wasn't a happy camper(rider). Sat next to a retired railroad guy and he said the Amtrak officials made lots of bad decisions regarding this train. Bright side Customer Service were wonderul. I still don't think the Empire Builder is running. JoAnn

Empire Builder westbound (train 27) departed Glenview, IL on time today at 2:39 CDT. Let's hope EB goes all the way to Seattle / Portland. Fingers crossed!

Left Minneapolis Thursday, the 7th going to Whitefish--train was 26 l/2 hours late--all time spent on the train. Every decision the higher ups made was questionable. The guy across the aisle is a retired train guy who gets to ride for free and he said he doesn't know if he'll ride the train again. Only good part of the this whole ordeal was the wonderful response from Customer Serivice.

Sorry for the double post--my lack of sleep made me miss page 8. On the decisions made- first they were going to bus us around the flooding ok I could deal with that--backing up from 21 miles east of Minot back to Fargo not so sure. Being told we be back in Minot at 1:30 A.m to find the train sitting in the middle of nowhere at 7:00 A.M. and being told we had been there for 5 hours not so sure. New conducter comes on board and he had no idea that we were getting a complimentary lunch and dinner--lunch in the dining car by coach cars (he never heard of such a thing. Mind you I love the train but as I said before the retired train guy said he couldn't figure out what was going on. And again the wonderful service I got from the woman in Customer Service will allow me to go on the train again.

The EB left SEA as scheduled today ... my fingers are also crossed that it makes it all the way through to CHI without any problems!!

The EB left SEA as scheduled today ... my fingers are also crossed that it makes it all the way through to CHI without any problems!!
Eastbound Empire Builder (train 28)in Libby, MT this morning: only 11 minutes late!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back