Last Years Point Purchase 50% Bonus Offer?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of us received an email with a 30% promo which ends 2/16/15. You could pretend you're buying points to see if they're offering you the 30% also.

I'm guessing the if you regularly buy points (especially the max) you will only get the 30%. That seems to be the case for my wife and I. If someone infrequently purchases points, they might get the 50% "incentive" to start making purchases and hopefully more frequently.

Some of us received an email with a 30% promo which ends 2/16/15. You could pretend you're buying points to see if they're offering you the 30% also.
How far do you have to go before it makes the 30% offer?

I got as far as the "how many do you want to buy" screen, but no 30%.

How far do you have to go before it makes the 30% offer?

I got as far as the "how many do you want to buy" screen, but no 30%.
I think when you click on the drop-down box it shows the bonus, if you're targeted to get it (something like 10,000 + 3,000). Not sure, I haven't bought mine yet - will probably do it this weekend.

It will show in the drop down box. The 30% (or 50% or whatever) is usually limited to the max, lower amounts usually give a lower bonus.

Example: It may say like

500 + 50 = $$

1,000 + 100 = $$

5,000 + 750 = $$$

10,000 + 3,000 = $275

After "Buy Points for Yourself" and "Please enter your name and Amtrak Guest Rewards member number to get started."

you will see this...
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but when I click on the JPG link following the quoted text, I get the message "Sorry, you don't have permission for that!" This has happened often with other, similar links. Do I have something set incorrectly?

After "Buy Points for Yourself" and "Please enter your name and Amtrak Guest Rewards member number to get started."

you will see this...
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but when I click on the JPG link following the quoted text, I get the message "Sorry, you don't have permission for that!" This has happened often with other, similar links. Do I have something set incorrectly?

Could be something to do with number of posts.

More on topic I was a first time buyer of points last year with the 50% points bonus this year they only offered me 30%. Still thinking about going for it.

you will see this...
That is just a jpg image attached to my post...it doesn't go anywhere except to display the image by itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

you will see this...
That is just a jpg image attached to my post...it doesn't go anywhere except to display the image by itself.
That is what I would expect. It would be nice to be able to see the image rather than the message "Sorry, you don't have permission for that!" And that's why I asked if I have something set incorrectly.

Since Long Train Runnin' speculated that it is related to the number of posts, I suppose I could start submitting many more posts. Is that really a desirable thing?

Last year I bought my 10K points in January and got the 5K bonus. If you bought less than 10K points in one purchase, you got less than a 50% bonus (30 or 40%?).

This year I bought my 10K points in January and got a 3K bonus. This brought my point total to slightly over 40K points. I have 2 two zone Roomette trips coming up next month and less than 800 points in my balance. I will do some online shopping after my March trip on the AGR website. I'm also getting AGR points for my one week car rental. I'm also getting some points for using Choice hotels.

I don't expect to see a 50% bonus after the 30% current bonus this year.

This reminds me that I have to buy my wife her 10K points before February 16 so she can get her 3K bonus.

I seldom purchase points but if offered the 50% bonus, I will make the buy. Did take advantage of last years offer and will wait and see if it is repeated. In any case it is likely that AGR members buying points is a better deal for Amtrak than selling them to a shopping portal retailer for one cent each (my estimate).

I seldom purchase points but if offered the 50% bonus, I will make the buy. Did take advantage of last years offer and will wait and see if it is repeated. In any case it is likely that AGR members buying points is a better deal for Amtrak than selling them to a shopping portal retailer for one cent each (my estimate).
I never seem to get the 50% bonus offer. How do you get on the list?

I got the offer last year. Probably the best they offer. It was 50% more,no matter how many points you buy, unlike the other offers where it's 10 to 30% depending on the amount of points. I am awaiting that offer, Hope it comes back. As far as getting on the list, I have no idea. I ride Amtrak quite often,so maybe that has something to do with it.

Finally got 30% bonus offer - never got an email heads up - just kept checking account. Bought 10K points with 3K bonus. I'm just under 35,000 total now. Granted 20K of that comes from points buys. Had a long distance redemption late last year.

Back