Large Auto Train Party

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can one still rent a private car, and hitch it onto the end of a scheduled Amtrak train? I mean, if a wedding wants to "party" during their train trip, that might be the best option.

They already said they couldn't afford to add me to the wedding party, so I doubt they have the moolah for a private car.

The OP sounds reasonable enough that I'm picturing more of a "beer and cards" type of party rather than a raging kegger.

Considering he mentioned they're going to ask to be placed away from other passengers, if possible, I can tell he's already considerate of other people; if they want to keep talking and celebrating after quiet hours, they can go to the Lounge.

We call the route with the most AU Gathering passengers the "party train", so that's how I took the intent of his post - a block of people traveling to a fun event.
That sort of logical thought is not authorized. The finger wagging fun police have to lecture on the Evils of teh Acolholses.

Haha I wish I could afford a private car. But I actually imagine that the Auto Train doesn't have the capacity to add PV. I can only imagine what the slack would feel like in a passenger car at the end of a 45+ car train!

Anyway, Sarah has it right. We're not looking to be a rambunctious, obnoxious or loud. I am throughly aware though that the walls between bedrooms are very thin. Hence why I'm trying to make sure we get a block of 4-5 bedroom next to each other. In an ideal situation we'd have rooms A-E and have everyone hang out in the adjacent rooms B-C connected as a suite.

Constructive criticism is very welcome, and I throughly appreciate everyone's feedback here. :)

However a big selling point for us (aside from being able to pack our car full of wedding necessities) is the fact that we can have a nice dinner on the train followed by some cards and a couple drinks. I can assure you that if the conductor comes by and asks us to keep it down we will certainly do so. Besides, like I said, most of the group we're traveling with is more along the age lines of the typical auto train passenger. (50+)

Keep the comments coming and rest assured I'm not the "frat-bro" my original post possibly makes me sound.

Cheers!

However a big selling point for us (aside from being able to pack our car full of wedding necessities) is the fact that we can have a nice dinner on the train followed by some cards and a couple drinks. I can assure you that if the conductor comes by and asks us to keep it down we will certainly do so. Besides, like I said, most of the group we're traveling with is more along the age lines of the typical auto train passenger. (50+)

Keep the comments coming and rest assured I'm not the "frat-bro" my original post possibly makes me sound.
Now I'm imagining a country club atmosphere. Or maybe something like the Napa Valley Wine Train.

Napa-wine-train-wine-tasting.jpg

Congratulations. The auto train is the only one without the capacity for a private car. And private cars are very expensive. Think 15 grand a week for a charter.

I'm pretty certain that HenryK wouldn't be loud and boisterous on this train.

What makes you think that, Chakk? I can give as good party boy as anybody! Here's mud in your eye!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, Sarah has it right. We're not looking to be a rambunctious, obnoxious or loud. I am throughly aware though that the walls between bedrooms are very thin. Hence why I'm trying to make sure we get a block of 4-5 bedroom next to each other. In an ideal situation we'd have rooms A-E and have everyone hang out in the adjacent rooms B-C connected as a suite.
I have been involved with enough weddings (and pre-wedding parties) to know that they don't always turn out the way you so carefully planned them to be. A quiet "gentlemen club" atmosphere you envision on the train, could indeed morph into an "animal house" atmosphere.

I have been involved with enough weddings (and pre-wedding parties) to know that they don't always turn out the way you so carefully planned them to be. A quiet "gentlemen club" atmosphere you envision on the train, could indeed morph into an "animal house" atmosphere.
At which point I'm certain the OP would shush everyone. I really don't get all the negativity in this thread. The OP has made it clear they do not wish to bother other passengers and that they aren't a bunch of frat-bro/college kids.

They can google places to hold the wedding in Florence, SC. That is where they will most likely be put off if they are too loud.
Wow, ok thanks for the support and helpful information.

I'm so sorry I offended people here in trying to introduce a large number of my friends to the joy of train travel.

Again, if the conductor asks us to keep it down or we get too loud I will definitely suggest moving the activities to the lounge car. I can assure you I've seen much MUCH rowdier people on some of my Amtrak trips that haven't been put off anywhere.

The purpose of me starting this thread was to gather constructive advice. "Don't enjoy your train trip with friends and be still as a mouse or suffer the wrath of conductor-man" isn't helpful or constructive.

Thanks to everyone who has been helpful and a big thanks for all the congratulatory messages!

Don't let the Clint Eastwoods on this Forum turn you off!

This is an excellent idea, most of us would love to be traveling with you on the Wedding Train to Florida!

Congrats on having an understanding bride, family and friends, keep us informed and Happy Rails!

They can google places to hold the wedding in Florence, SC. That is where they will most likely be put off if they are too loud.
Wow, ok thanks for the support and helpful information.I'm so sorry I offended people here in trying to introduce a large number of my friends to the joy of train travel.

Again, if the conductor asks us to keep it down or we get too loud I will definitely suggest moving the activities to the lounge car. I can assure you I've seen much MUCH rowdier people on some of my Amtrak trips that haven't been put off anywhere.

The purpose of me starting this thread was to gather constructive advice. "Don't enjoy your train trip with friends and be still as a mouse or suffer the wrath of conductor-man" isn't helpful or constructive.

Thanks to everyone who has been helpful and a big thanks for all the congratulatory messages!
Once you start a post, it's well known that they can take a life of their own. It's a lot easier to come in with an understanding that not all responses are serious or directly answer the original question. Quite a few replies seem to come out of personal experiences or were half joking. That's the nature of message boards. Quite a few of the replies were really addressing you.

Sitplatz17, we all hope you have a wonderful wedding trip on the train, and we all trust that you will not let it become loud and boisterous. But if it does, please let us know so that we can come over and join you in the good cheer.

AmtrakBlue, you know what they say about us: we whisper in nightclubs and shout in churches.

Despite all the joking comments, I'm confident this will turn out just fine. Maybe everybody is just a bit giddy for the Thanksgiving holiday. By the way, I think Auto Train Crew 2 is heading south from Lorton this afternoon, crew 1 is in Florida, and crew 5 should have arrived back home in Lorton this morning. I know they'll do their best to provide a great trip for you and your loved ones.

Tom

(Edited because I couldn't read a calendar!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back