Lancaster (CA) Wants to Close Train Station to Keep Homeless Out

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then is someone going to do something about the Homeless Hordes in Reno? They're everywhere I tell you, they even line the Truckee Riverwalk. They prowl by the Walmart. They're everywhere.
Please try to remember these are people, not bedbugs. I get that panhandlers can get annoying, but they still deserve sympathy. These are people who don't have shelter, a bed, food, or health care. Honestly, any of us could be in that position some day. Have some pity.
True this! Outstanding Sarah!

Get out of town :excl:

Homeless along Reno's Riverwalk? :eek:

Might not they just be trolls who emerge from under the bridges along the Riverwalk to try and make an honest (for trolls) living? :blink:

Don't look down on them :p just because they live so close to Hell that they can see Sparks :excl: :unsure:

:unsure:

Sparks, Nevada, that is. :)

Get out of town :excl:

Homeless along Reno's Riverwalk? :eek:

Might not they just be trolls who emerge from under the bridges along the Riverwalk to try and make an honest (for trolls) living? :blink:

Don't look down on them :p just because they live so close to Hell that they can see Sparks :excl: :unsure:

Sparks, Nevada, that is. :)
Thanks.

Live long and prosper.

I love the rational approach , you nailed it.

- the dismantling of most of our welfare systems (including massive underfunding of Section 8, the housing program)
There's been quite a bit of NIMBYism about Section 8 in Antelope Valley. That has some of the cheaper housing options in Los Angeles County outside of the the hood, and a lot of long-time residents have tried to link an increase in crime with so many Section 8 tenants. It's also been alleged that the county is deliberately encouraging people to move to the area with their Section 8 subsidies The other end of spectrum is public housing complexes, which then have issues since they concentrate poverty.

http://theavtimes.com/2012/07/25/mayor-commends-terminated-section-8-fraud-investigators/

http://citywatchla.com/in-case-you-missed-it-hidden/5603-big-trouble-in-little-antelope-valley

All in the name of property values.

I am pro-free market kind of guy but I hope nuke accidentally drops on these people.

Then is someone going to do something about the Homeless Hordes in Reno? They're everywhere I tell you, they even line the Truckee Riverwalk. They prowl by the Walmart. They're everywhere.
Please try to remember these are people, not bedbugs. I get that panhandlers can get annoying, but they still deserve sympathy. These are people who don't have shelter, a bed, food, or health care. Honestly, any of us could be in that position some day. Have some pity.
Naah - they annoy me. And there's some famous quote about sympathy -- what is it? about where in the dictionary?

But when they get serious and ask for reasonable help -- OK. When my son(9 years old) stole $40 from me and gave the money to the travellers sleeping under the bridge nearby-- good for the kid.

Good for the travellers (used to be called what? hoboes or such?)

There's still people about this time of year that ride the rails and dodge the heat. And I don't mind them sleeping only a few blocks away under the bridge, in my otherwise upscale inner-city neighborhood. When I see them, I smile and wave. And they do likewise. And if they ask -- I point them to the nearest free showers, and best cheap food.

Hell, they ask me for nothing but tolerance. I can do that.

As for "mental problems" well - I worked at a big health-care company for a while. The bosses were far far crazier than any homeless street people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Naah - they annoy me. And there's some famous quote about sympathy -- what is it? about where in the dictionary?

But when they get serious and ask for reasonable help -- OK. When my son(9 years old) stole $40 from me and gave the money to the travellers sleeping under the bridge nearby-- good for the kid.

Good for the travellers (used to be called what? hoboes or such?)
The other day I was approached by a woman claiming that she had no money to get back home and needed to take a bus. I was heading to the bank and on the way out she approached me again. I was thinking of her request and at that point I was fairly sympathetic but didn't want to give her money if she was going to simply use it to for a fix or whatnot.

Now I have AGR points (lots of them) and was thinking maybe I could get her a ticket with those points. She said she was in a hurry to catch the bus and she was claiming that she had to catch a VTA bus to Diridon Station in San Jose to catch another bus. I offered to take her there directly and buy her a ticket. It would at the very least make me feel less uncomfortable that I'd be just giving money to someone who was lying to me. I know you can get a cash refund on a ticket, but that comes with a penalty and also has to be mailed in. Using my AGR points would have been ideal from my standpoint, but I just gave in and handed over $20.

I don't know if I did the right thing. I looked over the schedule again and there was actually plenty of time for me to take her there and buy a ticket if that's what she really was looking to do.

Sounds like your first hunch was right, you were played by a pro!

I'll buy a person a meal if theyre hanging around a fast food place and they tell me they're hungry, but no Cash for cigarettes, booze, a fix or a ticket "home"!

A lot of the guys out on the Riverwalk seem like real homeless and I do give 'em a dollar if they really look like they need it and ask for it, but if you are just sitting or walking around doing nothing and asking people for money while occasionally mumbling to yourself and yelling curses at no one, how am I supposed to help you at all? How am I am supposed to help you if you are saying "f##king blah blah blah" to yourself while wandering the Riverwalk?

I hope I never supported the idea that anybody who has even a dime -- gives a dime to some damn beggar.

I gave up doing that 30 years back.

Last evening another panhandler asked for "25. 40,"

Never give a cent to a panhandler, because , first, "don't support totally lying to live".

And second, every cent will support a heroin habit.

Be polite, but broke.

Homeless deserve be homeless, never hassle them for that.

But give money? Never. That's as stupid as contributing to some liars campaign fund.

Lancaster just wants Palmdale to be the end of the line.

Both cities are pretty ridiculous. They're literally out in the desert, and the furthest exurbs of LA, on the other side of the mountains. Someone has already mentioned the housing situation.

Having friends currently living in the Antelope Valley, I try to follow the developments there.

Here is the update regarding the Lancaster Metrolink train station - turns out, Mr. Perris and other officials do not want to close the station after all (full quote following):

Lancaster Metrolink Station To See Security Improvements

Homeless Service Enhancements also coming to the Antelope Valley
Posted Date: 11/18/2014
City of Lancaster Mayor R. Rex Parris and Vice Mayor Marvin Crist were joined this morning by representatives from Metrolink, the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (METRO), and the County of Los Angeles to reveal the first actions implemented following their October 30 meeting which addressed serious issues regarding the Lancaster Metrolink Station’s security, as well as transient concerns. Prompted by the Lancaster City Council’s initial steps to close the station based on existing circumstances, the representatives have been working diligently with the City to establish a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) which identifies solutions that can effectively increase safety and services for Metrolink passengers all along the Antelope Valley line. The first action is the addition of a security fence which creates a barrier to deter non-passenger access to the Metrolink train platform. This immediate improvement was accompanied by the announcement of other near-term Metrolink service improvements.

The new security fence is one of several enhancements identified in the draft MOU, which is still being finalized. Additional action items noted include zero-tolerance fare enforcement policies; increased law enforcement on the trains; additional Metrolink Station enforcement on the premises; and future station design improvements, such as better lighting and security cameras.

“The Lancaster City Council voiced its concerns regarding the additional attention needed in order to continue operation of the Lancaster Metrolink Station,” said Lancaster Mayor R. Rex Parris. “Metrolink and METRO heard us loud and clear, and in less than three weeks, have begun to make tangible strides to ensure our local station is transformed into a safer, secured facility for fare-paying passengers.”

Metrolink Director of System Security Fred Jackson and Metrolink Director of Public Affairs Jeff Lustgarten, along with METRO Regional Rail Executive Officer Don Sepulveda, have been instrumental in rapidly addressing the station’s security measures. During today’s conference,
Mr. Lustgarten spoke of Metrolink’s collaboration with the City of Lancaster and hopes of increasing the daily passenger count from 400 per day to significantly more with the improvements planned for the Lancaster station, as well as the Antelope Valley Line overall. Mr. Jackson emphasized the importance of passenger safety, identifying the steps needed to ensure the greatest level of security, and how the immediate addition of perimeter fencing will help achieve these goals.

Mayor Parris and Los Angeles County Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich’s Representative Norm Hickling, then elaborated on an interim plan in the works to address the local homelessness crisis. The Los Angeles County facility previously utilized as High Desert Medical Center on 60th Street West, just south of Avenue I in Lancaster, is now vacant and has been deemed a feasible location to offer extended services to the area’s growing homeless population. To streamline access to this new location, cooperative efforts are underway to offer services to transport homeless citizens from throughout the Antelope Valley to the proposed location. Located at a site with ample space and advantageous accommodations, such as medical treatment infrastructure and a dining hall, a number of possibilities are viable and being actively planned.

“Without a doubt, our Valley needs to offer more services for our many homeless veterans,” said Vice Mayor Marvin Crist. “Our local churches, shelter and numerous organizations do a tremendous job providing food, clothing and assistance in any way they can to help them out. But we need to be doing so much more to transition these veterans and their families into permanent sustainable lifestyles.”

Next steps for the City of Lancaster, L. A. County METRO, Metrolink and the County of Los Angeles are to identify specific deadlines and measurements for final MOU approval, then quickly solidify a full implementation plan for the homeless service enhancement project.

source:

http://www.cityoflancasterca.org/index.aspx?page=20&recordid=4504

Back