lamy, nm vs the next stop west

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

clearfork

Does anyone have an opinion regarding the Lamy, NM station versus the Alberque...Ablverqwer....the next station west? Mostly wondering about the safety of the station and car rental options. I'll be renting a car and travelling to Las Cruces, then up to Santa Fe; then back on the Southwest Chief to Chicago...

There's no car rental at Lamy - there's nothing actually except a charming old small station. It is attended at least when the trains go through. There's a shuttle van service (with advance reservations) to Santa Fe. Nothing else. Albuquerque is a good-sized city and the station is downtown. No problems. I haven't felt threatened or endangered at all at either place.

Yes, there's a car rental, actually in Santa Fe.

Also, it has a shuttle van between Lamy and Santa Fe. Its phone number can be found on Southwest Chief timetable.

When I got off my home station, I saw a guy holding a sign, "Avis". I think it's Avis. You might want to call the car rentals that is located in Santa Fe, about 15 minutes drive and see if they'll be happy to pick you up.

In Albuquerque, you'll have more options and probably cheaper. Again you might want to call them to pick you up. It's only about 5-10 minutes drive. If not, you can board on Bus #50 which it in transportation center, next door to Amtrak station. It will take you right to the airport.

When you travelling I always use Enterprise who have offices in most major cities. They include a free pick-up and drop-off, so if you call them when you get in (or just before with a cellphone) they'll send someone down to pick you up. Always better deals than Hertz et al who have desks in stations, especially for Fri-Mon weekends.

*j*

Yes, but Hertz will give you AGR points, Enterprise won't.
Based on my experience, the points aren't enough of an incentive: take one week's rental (I've chosen 28/8 - 5/9) Intermediate / Midsize: Chevrolet Cobalt or similar:

Albuquerque, NM (same dates, prices all inclusive)

Hertz $250.93, Enterprise $213.02

Plus they pick you up and drop you off, and (important for me) they rent to anyone over 18. Plus I've tried Hertz before and their service was plain hostile. The Enterprise folk are friendly, always smart and punctual, and almost annoying with the amount of attention they pay to making sure you're satisfied. Plus weekends are 50% off... if they weren't a private company, I'd buy shares.

*j*

Well first off let me please say in a "frendly way'

The name of my city is Albuquerque.

Sometimes it's abreviated Albuq.

It has a metropolitain area of around 900 k.

There is a shuttle bus that usually meets the 3 and the 4 in Lamy.It cost around $35 one way.

I drive a Yellow Cab and you can usually find me meeting the 3 and 4 in Albuquerque.

It's a $15 fee from the station to the airport and if you use Hertz,with a receipt,they will reimburse you.

For fear of this seeming to be an advertizement,I will tell you you can take any cab you find outside the station but I do enjoy meeting fellow railriders so if you are headed my way email me and I'll give you my cell and a wonderful description of my beautiful city.

For fear of this seeming to be an advertizement,I will tell you you can take any cab you find outside the station but I do enjoy meeting fellow railriders so if you are headed my way email me and I'll give you my cell and a wonderful description of my beautiful city.
I actually got to see a bit more of your fair city than I had planned on, this past June. BNSF derailed a train just west of the city, so everyone on #3 was taken off in ABQ and bused around the derailment to Gallup, where we boarded what had been #4's consist. So we got an unplanned bus tour of the city. At least the part from the train station to the interstate, plus what we could see from the interstate as we rolled out of town.

Okay, thanks for the replies and info. It does sound like the beautiful city of Albuquerque makes the most sense.....and I still had to refer to a reply in order to spell "Albuquerque'.....but, I sometimes have a tough time spelling the name of the station from which I embark....Toledo....

Okay, thanks for the replies and info. It does sound like the beautiful city of Albuquerque makes the most sense.....and I still had to refer to a reply in order to spell "Albuquerque'.....but, I sometimes have a tough time spelling the name of the station from which I embark....Toledo....
Unlike in Albuquerque, in Toledo, the Q is silent. :)

I would recommend Albequerque. I also used a cab to get to the airport to rent a hertz car, and was reimbursed. I think Enterprise is fine too . . . but watch out for office hours for your pick up location. A late train could cause you to arrive too late, and then still have to go to the airport but without a car reserved for you.

So in the end, do your homework, get the best deal from the place with the best operating hours, and you will be fine.

and (important for me) they rent to anyone over 18.
Have you had a good experience finding Enterprise locations which rent to that age group? A quick check of the website for "18-20" age group yielded hardly any locations which aren't age-restricted :( .

With the 50% off weekends from Enterprise, is that just the one day then?SLH
We used Enterprise from the Lamy Station. They picked us up right at the train and took us in to Santa Fe to finish the paper work. A week later they cheerfully drove us back to the Lamy station. Worked great! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back