Lake Shore Limited segment appears very expensive?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another AmSnag Fare Alert received at 12:10am today shows the Roomette upcharge is now down to US$191 and Arrow shows the same thing!

AmSnag#2a.jpg

And $191 is low bucket for that section of the route with the higher buckets being $258, $315, $382, and $444. Interesting to note that if the "Change Time" block is for the same time zone that I'm in, the Fare Alerts appear to get transmitted almost instantaneously.

Go VV, go!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Updating the outcome on another thread, but what a pal niemi24s is, big thank you.

$191 is now the *low*-bucket roomette upcharge on Syracuse - Chicago. Whew. No wonder I always think of this segment as being super expensive.

Coast Staelight is one Amtrak LD train where lots and lots of people ride for just a part of the train's total journey length. Fir example, the two coaches on 11(20) were completely full from central oregon to northern calif, but only, based on my personal scan of seat checks, were going to lax. There were very large turnovers ar KFS and EMY, and I'm betting that there were also large turnovers at PDX, and possibly SJC. It's quite possible that nearly every coach seat was occupied by 2 or 3 warm bodies during the entire trip. A simple count of total passengers would exceed the capacity of the two coaches, giving a "false" impression perhaps.

For some goofy reason (curiosity?) I kept the AmSnag Fare Alert for the SYR-to-CHI portion V-V's trip active until today - the day of travel. 21 Fare Alerts were received during this 6 month period and (not that anybody really wants or needs the info) here they all are in chronological order - oldest at the top, today's at the bottom:

2016-09-14_212220.jpg

Note: If you try to follow the fare changes for a particular accommodation (coach, bedroom or roomette) you'l see there are gaps - the "old fare" in one alert may not be the "new fare" in the previous alert. No idea why, except maybe I missed some?

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
The alerts are only for price drops; if the fare goes up, that data isn't included. So for example on 9/7 when the 449 bedroom dropped to $374, we don't know how long it was at that price before it went back up (all at once or in several steps?) to $748 on 9/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back