Lake Shore, Cap Limited splitting

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffW

Train Attendant
Hi, all. I really enjoy the discussions around here, and seldom feel the need to contribute because you all answer the questions I'm already thinking! Thanks for the great discussions!

I recall discussion about a "town hall" forum last March that proposed future changes in routes. Here at Amtrak Unlimited, I vaguely remember a discussion about the Capitol Limited splitting (in Cleveland?) to offer more routes toward DC. Recently, I noticed that Wikipedia is now saying that the LSL may split in Toledo, providing service through Pennsylvania:

http://en.wikipedia....Possible_Future

There's no comment about the Capitol Limited possibly splitting:

http://en.wikipedia....imited_(Amtrak)

Could some one clarify this for me? Are either (or both) of these trains possibly splitting? If so, what are the proposed routes? How would this affect the CL Superliners, and would this potentially lengthen the trains?

Thanks!

I assure you, the Lake Shore will not be splitting in Toledo or Cleveland any time soon. I wasn't at the town hall meeting in question, but I gather that some comment was taken out of context (i.e. someone asked Boardman if they would look at splitting the LSL in Cleveland, and he said "Sure, we'll look into it" or something along those lines).

The Capitol Limited has already had its PRIIA route proposal released which includes through cars to the Pennsylvanian. The Lake Shore Limited PRIIA proposal is being worked on now, and will be released at the end of the fiscal year (September). Don't hold your breath in hoping for a split of that train in TOL or CLE.

I assure you, the Lake Shore will not be splitting in Toledo or Cleveland any time soon. I wasn't at the town hall meeting in question, but I gather that some comment was taken out of context (i.e. someone asked Boardman if they would look at splitting the LSL in Cleveland, and he said "Sure, we'll look into it" or something along those lines).

The Capitol Limited has already had its PRIIA route proposal released which includes through cars to the Pennsylvanian. The Lake Shore Limited PRIIA proposal is being worked on now, and will be released at the end of the fiscal year (September). Don't hold your breath in hoping for a split of that train in TOL or CLE.
I was at at meeting and I agree with Trogdor. There was a proposal from an audience member about an LSL split (and I forget the exact details of such a split, I believe it was send the Boston section along the existing route and move the New York to the old Broadway route) and Boardman gave a vague we'll look into it comment. Later, the story went through the railfan community that such a split would probably take place the next day.

The only split that is seriously on the table is the CL at PGH to remake the Three Rivers, in a way.

If the CL splits in PGH, wouldn't that mean no more Superliners?

No. The Washington part, which will continue to be the main train and will continue to be Superliner. The New York part will consist of 2 Amfleet II Coaches, an Amfleet Food Service car, and a Viewliner. They will get attached to the Transdorm of the Cap, allowing New York passengers to use the Superliner Diner and Lounge. It is all in the PRIIA report. I am sure it will be well near impossible to get a room in that Viewliner and Amtrak will be minting money on it.

I am sure it will be well near impossible to get a room in that Viewliner and Amtrak will be minting money on it.
Good for Amtrak, if that's the case. Even one single room is better than what's available now btw CHI and PHL.

If they add this service and it consistently sells out, that is great for Amtrak. And I'm sure AGR pax will still be able

to snag rooms with advance planning.

No. The Washington part, which will continue to be the main train and will continue to be Superliner. The New York part will consist of 2 Amfleet II Coaches, an Amfleet Food Service car, and a Viewliner. They will get attached to the Transdorm of the Cap, allowing New York passengers to use the Superliner Diner and Lounge. It is all in the PRIIA report. I am sure it will be well near impossible to get a room in that Viewliner and Amtrak will be minting money on it.
Oh ok that makes sense. I was getting nervous about them changing the equipment (if this split ever happens).

Btw - off topic - but the CL had a full diner On yesterday's departure. Not sure if this has been happening for awhile, but it's back and it was a refurb one. Great crew in there as well. I'm planning to write a trip report when I get back home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back