Keeping Roomette door open

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year was the first time I had taken the train. My dad and I got a roomette and loved it. We are taking the same train this year and it got me to thinking.

We will be on the City of New Orleans and loved having the door of the roomette opened. However, there were times when the door would not stay open but slide shut, and not slowly or quietly. Is there a way too keep the door open and prevent this?

The doors on different roomettes will differ in just about every way you can think of including how easily they slide open/shut. I would just wedge some newspaper between the door and its frame like I would do to keep it from rattling.

Here are your color choices.

Colors

Black, White, Blue, Electric Blue, Green, Purple, Yellow, Red, Tan, Teal, Olive Drab, Brown, Burgundy, Grey, FL Green, FL Orange, FL Yellow, FL Pink
Betty probably wants Electric Blue to match her electric personality! (Or is that shocking personality?)
:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like one of the Florida colors - Pink would be fun!

I just ordered a roll of a different brand from eBay. :)

Okay, first you say Duct tape, now you say Gaff tape, are we leaving Duct tape behind now? :giggle: I want "pro glow," that way on my way back from the bathroom at 2AM I'll be able to find my roomette. :blush:

In some respects you can think of gaffer's tape as a better grade of duct tape. It is very adhesive, while still not leaving a residue, and tears more easily and cleanly. They are pretty close cousins.

It's also more expensive.

Gotta get me some. I got some of the Duct tape that doesn't leave residue, but it didn't hold light weight items around the house. And typically I love having my door open, but as the OP said, it slams shut. I'll get some Saturday, if I can find it, and try it on the Meteor this week.

Gotta get me some. I got some of the Duct tape that doesn't leave residue, but it didn't hold light weight items around the house. And typically I love having my door open, but as the OP said, it slams shut. I'll get some Saturday, if I can find it, and try it on the Meteor this week.
Aloha

The easiest place to buy either black or white, is the local Theatrical supply source, Or try the link I supplied above.By the roll it is not cheep by the case it is. Another good source is Rosebrand.com

Aloha

The easiest place to buy either black or white, is the local Theatrical supply source, Or try the link I supplied above.By the roll it is not cheep by the case it is. Another good source is Rosebrand.com
Okay, maybe not this week's trip, but certainly my fall trip. :)

At your own risk.

You may get an uninvited visitor, as happened to us on our most recent trip on the Texas Eagle just over a year ago.

Click HERE to listen to my electrifying "Missing Bag Story"

Aloha

Also White can be used to keep a door that opens to easily while you are away from the room from opening. Placed near the top of the door it wont be seen as most people never look up.

You know it's funny roomette... I have a similar story from when I was on the Coast Starlight. The guy in the roomette across the hallway from me ended up walking off the train with a giant paper bag full of Amtrak property.

He had been very nice the whole trip. But I saw he had stuffed about a 6 boxes of tissues and 6 rolls of toilet paper in a paper bag (the same bags that are used to take food to-go from the diner.)

What was strange was I found the supply cabinet in the lower-level restroom was left wide open. Maybe he took them from there.

I would've pointed it out to the SCA... but I didn't notice it until we were about to step off the train in Seattle.

At one of the AU Gatherings I noticed that someone (possibly Jerry?) had duct tape wrapped around a pen. It seemed like a good way to transport two things you might need on a trip and I do that all the time now.

golf tee wedged under or above the door will often work. Wood is better than plastic. Sometimes wedging the side provides enough resistance as well. Gotta get me some Gaffer's tape though to try. Big fan of Duct and Gorilla.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back