KCY Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Railfan83

Train Attendant
On March 13th I will be taking my first long distance trip on Amtrak. Little Rock, AR-St. louis-Kansas City-Hutchinson. I have an 8 hour layover in Kansas City and was wondering if there were lockers or some way that I can store my luggage so that I can go see some of the sites of KCY? If there are lockers how much do they cost and how big are they?

Excluding the lockers inside the Science Museum, I don't believe there are any lockers at Union Station in Kansas City. I don't use the waiting room (preferring to wander the grand hall and the corridor leading to Amtrak's portion of the station as I wait) so I can't say with certainty whether there are lockers in there.

You should be able to day-check your bags at the Westin Hotel across the street. You can get there from Union Station using "The Link", a system of Skywalks linking Union Station to the Crown Center office/retail complex. The entrance to "The Link" on the Union Station end is via the stairs at the back of the Harvey House Diner off the Grand Hall.

Here is a brochure on Union Station, including a Map of the building:

http://www.unionstation.org/pdf/visitormap.pdf

They may be willing to keep your bags for you at the Amtrak ticket counter; however, I wouldn't definitely count on that. I've had mixed results when I've arrived early for a trip. You may want to give them a call and ask them about whether or not they would. I know there are people at the ticket counter all day, and they do have a baggage room. If they agree to do it, it may cost you a few bucks per bag, or it may be free; again, I've had mixed results with this too. One time it was free, the next time it was three bucks.

Regarding lockers.....there are none that I've seen, other than the ones downstairs by the Science Museum (that Chertling already mentioned). They are downstairs, around a couple of corners, and back near the restrooms. They are also pretty minimal sized; my backpack would fit easily, however, a bag the size of a typical airline carryon would probably be quite a tight fit, if it fit at all. If I had to estimate a size, I would guess about 2 feet high, a foot wide, and maybe a foot deep. But, I may be WAY off; it's been nearly a year since I went on a hunting trip at KCY to find them. I was checking them out for my next trip there. Unfortunately, I can't help you out with the costs, as I didn't actually use them.

The station agents will keep your bags for you. They'll probably charge you $3 a bag but last time I did, they didn't charge me. Any station that had checked baggage service should store your bag if you want to.

there are DEFINITELY lockers inside KC union station (i live nearby and frequent it often). they are in the lower level, but are inside of the main building and not far from the amtrak waiting area (walk into the grand hall and turn right, take the elevator or escalators down to the lower level... there is signage). i don't know how much they cost.

The baggage room should be willing to store your items for you. I think it's Amtrak's own policy to offer that service. They're supposed to charge a small fee - maybe $3 apiece. I've had stations not want to charge me before, but I pay it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back