Kansas City-Oklahoma City Expansion Inspection Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Wichita Eagle has a brief story with a video and some photos here.
I momentarily thought the Wichita Eagle was a proposed train that I'd somehow missed...
I think Missouri Pacific did run a passenger train to Wichita way back when but I think it may have been a mixed train, not one of the Eagle fleet :p

Anyway, yeah, the newspaper Wichita Eagle has a story.

Heartland Flyer already stops at Norman.

All former Lone Star Stops shown below. (1978 timetable). It is not stopping only at Lawrence...

• 7:45 a.m. — Oklahoma City Santa Fe Station (downtown)
  • 8:30 a.m. — Guthrie, Oklahoma
  • 9:15 a.m. — Perry, Oklahoma
  • 10:00 a.m. — Ponca City, Oklahoma
  • 10:45 a.m. — Arkansas City
  • 12:05 p.m. — Wichita
  • 1:00 p.m. — Newton
  • 2:20 p.m. — Emporia
  • 3:45 p.m. — Topeka
  • --:-- p.m -- Lawrence
  • 5:30 p.m. (projected arrival time) — Kansas City Union Station

Surprised they aren't stopping at all the former Lone Star stops, including Norman. While it is fairly close to OKC, it is right next to the University of Oklahoma, and formerly a busy stop...

I suppose if the train does become scheduled, they will add the missed stops...
Norman is between Oklahoma City and Fort Worth and the HF stops there. This train is traveling only between Oklahoma City and Kansas City.

The only missed stop at present is Lawrence KS.
Oops, your both correct....I wasn't thinking very much, when I made my post... :blush:

Prior to the elimination of the Lone Star, the (then) Southwest Limited ran the 'shortcut' from Kansas City to Emporia via Ottawa, bypassing Topeka. If they did extend the new train to Kansas City, I wonder if it would make sense to send the SWC back to that route to speed up the schedule a bit? Not sure of how much traffic it gets from the state capital....

Similar to the Empire Builder when it originally bypassed Grand Forks in the Great Northern era, when Grand Forks was served by the secondary trains...and for that matter, lots of other examples on various railroads when multiple trains served a route...

Prior to the elimination of the Lone Star, the (then) Southwest Limited ran the 'shortcut' from Kansas City to Emporia via Ottawa, bypassing Topeka. If they did extend the new train to Kansas City, I wonder if it would make sense to send the SWC back to that route to speed up the schedule a bit? Not sure of how much traffic it gets from the state capital....
In 2016, there were 10,214 riders at Topeka and 8,465 at Lawrence.

The City of Edmond, Oklahoma posted this video of the inspection train.

According to the rules of the forum, all nonpertinant political posts should be deleted, though more and more political bashing of conservatives seems to be let through.

The City of Edmond, Oklahoma posted this video of the inspection train.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be deleted. I'm asking if you used the report link next to the Multi Quote button to report it in order to get the admins/moderators attention rather than make a post asking why it hasn't been deleted.

Back