Joe Boardman talks LD trains to LA Times

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because... they employ humans.
This is a silly statement. It sounds good but somehow I doubt that a good hotel or resort chain would keep people who didn't meet high customer satisfaction goals. Lousy customer service tend to result from lax management. If there is a human breakdown it comes at that level. Everywhere I ever worked the tone for how employees treated customers or their surroundings was closely connected to how importantly the management considered the customer.

I do wish to say that of course we have all had wonderful trips on amtrak and with great attendants. But unfortunately there is that old saying that an rotten apple spoils the whole barrel. People who try amtrak and get a poor trip, or attendant or equipment are going to mostly consider their trip a failure. As strong supporters of rail travel we here, mostly realize that things go wrong. Some things however should not go wrong, and if they do then they should be corrected quickly. That is the breakdown of nearly every discussion of service issues here. Those of us who strive to see Amtrak have a more consistent and reliable service are often said to be winers. In reality we are attempting to get rail service to provide a reliable and pleasant experience for all travelers, even those who are not hard core rail fans. We have too many reports of unsatisfied passengers, something no company can be proud of, and really should not be defended endlessly by some here. No one thinks that you will never have a bad experience, and in that end yes there are humans working for amtrak. But when humans never fix the toilets properly, or a surly lounge attendant is left in place when they should have been removed, then humans have failed us.

As to VIA rail. Its been quite some time since I rode Toronto to Vancouver. But I do recall and amazing amount of cars, many non revenue and rather imaginative designs. Lots of sleepers and coaches, a trip ending with 22 passenger cars. The service of the sleeper crew was fine as were most people I met. The biggest failure was the diner. There all meals were served to sleeping car passengers without additional cost and if I recall right without tips. The crew had no interest in their job and the food was on a level of some amtrak food of the past. In those days most other railroads were still producing reasonably decent food prepared on board. It was obvious they were just opening large cans of vegetables and heating them and the meat selection stayed the same for three days. Otherwise it was a pretty decent trip with good equipment.

To the contrary, Amtrak improvement would bring about more ridership because the occasional rider would go back and ride again instead of saying 'never again' when the initial experience proves so costly, both in terms of money and psyche.
You're right. If you have a plan for reform that would remedy whatever problem you're identifying, I'm sure Amtrak is all ears (as they have yet to solve the problem themselves, and might actually need the help).
This is a great idea and one I have followed consistently either though onboard or in correspondence with Amtrak. I talked at great length on the Coast Starlight with a Customer Service Manager who was riding and getting opinions of passengers about how amtrak could improve its service. It was a rather interesting discussion. Many things that came up here were discussed such as the surly diner steward we had experienced on the C Z or the toilets that quit working the rest of the trip after denver. I told him of the dissatisfaction that the crew and public had for the then just rolled out CCC cars. I mentioned the disappointment of not having the PPC on the train that day and some of the plans for other trains to upgrade. He was quite responsive about the issues with the steward, and suggested ways to contact amtrak about the problem with the toilets, but the overall tone seemed to be that management knew best and that the cuts and changes being made were really fiscal improvements. A little short on the passenger concern and high on the fiscal side.

We talked about the issue of the poor condition of the locks on many sleepers and other things such as heat and air that could be a problem. In short with all the years people have been addressing issues found on board the management appears to be unable to remedy many of the simplest task and even the more difficult ones that should be done often are not. So I am not overly clear on what writing amtrak actually accomplishes.

As to VIA rail. Its been quite some time since I rode Toronto to Vancouver. But I do recall and amazing amount of cars, many non revenue and rather imaginative designs. Lots of sleepers and coaches, a trip ending with 22 passenger cars. The service of the sleeper crew was fine as were most people I met. The biggest failure was the diner. There all meals were served to sleeping car passengers without additional cost and if I recall right without tips. The crew had no interest in their job and the food was on a level of some amtrak food of the past. In those days most other railroads were still producing reasonably decent food prepared on board. It was obvious they were just opening large cans of vegetables and heating them and the meat selection stayed the same for three days. Otherwise it was a pretty decent trip with good equipment.
That sounds exactly like Amtrak to me... Sleeper Crew fine (which sleeper attendants usually are in my experience, I've had one bad one that I recall and even he did his job, he just was hard to find and didn't seem very happy), a dining crew that doesn't care but does feed you (now and then you get a great crew) and food that is passable to good. And really people.. what is so great about Southwest? And if Southwest is so much better than Amtrak... why do you bother taking the train?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back