Joe Biden Rides Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In any case, there really isn't a disadvantage to generally moving towards lower impact forms of technology on the whole.
You're not even arguing that there's an economic disadvantage to building high speed track that would be able to replace a significant fraction of airplane travel, and an economic disadvantage to building 5000 copies of Cape Wind to displace coal?

You're not even arguing that there's an economic disadvantage to building high speed track that would be able to replace a significant fraction of airplane travel,
You got to explain that one. What is the econimic disadvantage to building high speed track so that riding train replaces a significant fraction of airplane travel. That I do not see at all. I do see a lot of advantages. Just for starters:

1. Lower fuel consumed per passenger mile moved. (even forgetting the greenhouse gas issues)

2. Less congestion in and near airports.

Interesting thread. But in general, forget about it. On Sunday, according to what analyst you believe, we just added $5-7 Trillion to the national debt. Oh, and we have 100 year old sewer systems that need repair, let alone entitlements.

Amtrak, and many, many other government programs will be going away regardless of who wins, regardless of the environment, etc. In fact, you can bet they'll kill Amtrak, NASA, etc. before most other programs. So enjoy it now while it lasts.

And it stinks. But just look at the math. The money is all gone.

Sorry, not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I enjoy as much as anyone else thinking about and discussion a resurgence of passenger rail and ideas. But every once in a while the pragmatic side of me takes over.......

In any case, there really isn't a disadvantage to generally moving towards lower impact forms of technology on the whole.
You're not even arguing that there's an economic disadvantage to building high speed track that would be able to replace a significant fraction of airplane travel, and an economic disadvantage to building 5000 copies of Cape Wind to displace coal?
I'm not arguing anything at all in that particular comment except what it says. In fact, it must be about the most general comment I have ever made. No specifics mentioned at all.

To counter your specific, though- I think the world needs to slow the bloody hell down. Airplanes can be replaced by a conventional consist of a AEM-7 and a buncha Superliners. (operating on electrified corridors designed for double stacks, of course) running down the road at 80, or if you insist, maybe 110 mph. And those of us crossing the ocean can ride a resurgent fleet of ocean liners. And we can all bury this ridiculous idea of going 3000 miles when the day is done. And all this (especially if you added a aerodynamic transition between the AEM-7 and the Superliners) would be a heck of a lot better for the enviroment, not to mention the state of the human mind, than a phallusesque monstrosity attempting to defeat air friction at 250 mph.

I thought I'd add this quote from Joe Biden

Biden headed up to next car, assuring a passenger that "If we get elected, it will be the most train-friendly administration ever."

Further someone had asked if he'd every done anything for Amtrak. The answer is yes.. a couple of examples here:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitol-b...for_amtrak.html

"Papa Biden is an original co-sponsor of the Amtrak reauthorization bill, known as the Passenger Rail Investment and Improvement Act of 2007, versions of which have passed both chambers and are now awaiting a conference committee. Biden is also a regular signatory to letters calling for increased funding for the service, which is always a target for cuts by conservatives and other critics (including John McCain)."

Very nice post with a ton of informative information. I really appreciate the fact that you approach these topics from a stand point of knowledge and information

instead of the typical “I think” mentality that you see so much on the internet these days.

Now, I wonder what "humation" means?
Just what you'd expect: to bury. The "hume" in both words comes from "humus", the latin word for ground.

Similarly, we've got disinter (and inter), which contain "terra", latin for earth.

And now back to your regularly scheduled train discussions.

It is entirely possible for all points to be connected. I mean you can even use the already present rights of way! We call them "highways". Just lay rails over them. Nothing is impossible except for skiing through revolving doors.
I thought "highways" had the wrong turn radius and the wrong inclines, for rails?
I think Walt is right that many of the highways we have in the US have grades which are too steep and curves which are too sharp for current rail technology. And with a rail car having less surface area in contact with the rail than a truck has in contact with the highway for a given amount of weight, that may be a difficult limitation to overcome unless you want to remove some of the energy efficiency that rail offers over rubber tires.
Diesels might have trouble with main route, highway grades but electric traction in passenger service is feasable. Grade climbing ability is a huge advantage for electrics over diesels. Any curve over about 400 foot radius would also be negotiable, albeit at reduced speeds at tighter radii.

Gord

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, I wonder what "humation" means?
Just what you'd expect: to bury. The "hume" in both words comes from "humus", the latin word for ground.

Similarly, we've got disinter (and inter), which contain "terra", latin for earth.

And now back to your regularly scheduled train discussions.
Ah, I love entenmanns!
I prefer Freihofers<rimshot>.
I was going for a pun on Etymology, but I guess I was being too obscure... :blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back