Included meals for sleeper passengers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing Dave.

I really had no idea that you could get 2 meals between 6:30 AM and 11:30 AM as I think I've normally just had 1. It really wasn't a huge deal since I was catching the 4:00 Acela to BOS and got 2 meals in a 6 hour span. I guess it doesn't really matter if the CL is running late or not.

A couple years ago, the Capitol Limited was due in to WAS at around 1:30 PM. If on time, lunch is not usually served.
However, we were running 90-120 minutes late, so the arrival time into WAS was after 3:00 PM. They did serve a lunch at the regular time but I think the diner closed before 2:00 PM.
A correction on that statement.

Even if the CL is on time, as a sleeping car passenger you are entitled to get breakfast and lunch. The unusual thing about the CL's service, is that you can chose a breakfast item or lunch item at anytime during the extended meal service - I believe from like 6:30 to 11:30 AM!

So you could get

• eggs at 7 AM and a burger at 11 AM
  • a burger at 8 am and a sandwich at 10 am
  • a sandwich at 7:30 AM and cereal at 10:30 AM
  • an omelette at 6:30 AM and french toast at 11 AM
(I have done that last one! :p )
Do they do the same brunch deal on the Silver Meteor, which is due in NYP at 11:36am?

A couple years ago, the Capitol Limited was due in to WAS at around 1:30 PM. If on time, lunch is not usually served.
However, we were running 90-120 minutes late, so the arrival time into WAS was after 3:00 PM. They did serve a lunch at the regular time but I think the diner closed before 2:00 PM.
A correction on that statement.

Even if the CL is on time, as a sleeping car passenger you are entitled to get breakfast and lunch. The unusual thing about the CL's service, is that you can chose a breakfast item or lunch item at anytime during the extended meal service - I believe from like 6:30 to 11:30 AM!

So you could get

• eggs at 7 AM and a burger at 11 AM
  • a burger at 8 am and a sandwich at 10 am
  • a sandwich at 7:30 AM and cereal at 10:30 AM
  • an omelette at 6:30 AM and french toast at 11 AM
(I have done that last one! :p )
Do they do the same brunch deal on the Silver Meteor, which is due in NYP at 11:36am?
The times I have traveled on the Silver Meteor to NYP, they did not serve brunch or lunch. We had breakfast at the normal time and no additional meals.

However, when I traveled on the Capitol Limited in June, I was informed about the "brunch" and had breakfast at 6:30am and a hamburger at 11am.

When traveling on the LSL from NYP to CHI, we were about 3 hours late and they served us the awful beef stew for lunch.

Be aware that, if your particular train terminates early to mid-morning, they will likely begin serving breakfast earlier than 6:30 a.m.

Meal times are approx.
  • Breakfast - 6:30 to 9 AM (served first come/firsst served)
  • Lunch - 11 AM to 2:30 PM (may or may not be by reservation)
  • Dinner - 5 to 8 PM (always by reservation)
This is iffy -- the northbound Crescent is scheduled to arrive in Atlanta at 7:52 p.m. and depart 8:21 p.m. I know you said "approximately" -- what are people's experiences on getting dinner leaving Atlanta northbound?

Sleeping car passengers have first choice of reservation times.
Also, if one is a sleeper passenger boarding not at the beginning of the trip, but at some later stop, do they have reservations for dinner or lunch made for them?

Meal times are approx.
  • Breakfast - 6:30 to 9 AM (served first come/firsst served)
  • Lunch - 11 AM to 2:30 PM (may or may not be by reservation)
  • Dinner - 5 to 8 PM (always by reservation)
This is iffy -- the northbound Crescent is scheduled to arrive in Atlanta at 7:52 p.m. and depart 8:21 p.m. I know you said "approximately" -- what are people's experiences on getting dinner leaving Atlanta northbound?

Sleeping car passengers have first choice of reservation times.
Also, if one is a sleeper passenger boarding not at the beginning of the trip, but at some later stop, do they have reservations for dinner or lunch made for them?
Sleeping car passengers always get dinner northbound out of Atlanta, unless the train is running late.

The sleeping car attendant requests reservations for their passengers that are boarding during meal times so as to ensure that they do get into the diner.

Boo, they called this the "brunch" and made no information know that we could come twice for food. So we had breakfast, then were scarfing Acela Club goldfish for lunch.
I guess the dining car staff should get a medal for saving Amtrak money on this one. Of our recent staff, the dining car on the CL was the low point. High points were the sleeping and dining car staff on the SWC and our sleeper attendant on the CL was pretty good.
The dining staff pulled that same nonsense on me back in August. I even mentioned this practice on this forum after finishing my CL trip. At that time, forum members generally felt this practice was performed by the occasional "lazy" crew who did not want to go the extra mile. They were more interested in closing the dining car early enough to have a relaxing ride into WAS.

Sounds to me that this brunch practice is going momentum and only well informed passengers will be aware that they are entitled to two meals on the final leg of the eastbound CL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boo, they called this the "brunch" and made no information know that we could come twice for food. So we had breakfast, then were scarfing Acela Club goldfish for lunch.
I guess the dining car staff should get a medal for saving Amtrak money on this one. Of our recent staff, the dining car on the CL was the low point. High points were the sleeping and dining car staff on the SWC and our sleeper attendant on the CL was pretty good.
The dining staff pulled that same nonsense on me back in August. I even mentioned this practice on this forum after finishing my CL trip. At that time, forum members generally felt this practice was performed by the occasional "lazy" crew who did not want to go the extra mile. They were more interested in closing the dining car early enough to have a relaxing ride into WAS.

Sounds to me that this brunch practice is going momentum and only well informed passengers will be aware that they are entitled to two meals on the final leg of the eastbound CL.

I don't know. I liked the "brunch idea". I got to sleep late and not worry about breakfast ending early and I went into the dining car at about 10:00 am and had a nice breakfast. Why try to squeeze in a big breakfast and lunch?

I don't know. I liked the "brunch idea". I got to sleep late and not worry about breakfast ending early and I went into the dining car at about 10:00 am and had a nice breakfast. Why try to squeeze in a big breakfast and lunch?
In my case I'm going to pack both meals down me if I can as all that aggressive lounging and relaxing can sure work up a powerful appetite :)

Every time I've been on the CL, the dining car staff informed me about the 2nd meal! Usually I eat early (6:30-7) and they mentioned "Don't forget to come back before xx:xx for your 2nd meal!" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back