Incident on Pacific Surfliner tracks today (7/23) causing delays

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs

Train Attendant
It appears the Lossan rail corridor today is suffering the fall out of an incident that is causing nearly hour long delays. I heard it was a fatality. Maybe it a suicide on the tracks?

I remember the weekend before Thanksgiving when a southbound train struck someone somewhere south of LA union station and caused 4+ hours of delays systemwide. Yet the incident somehow escaped the news media. Usually the news are very quick to report whenever a collision or fatality occurs on the tracks.

It appears the Lossan rail corridor today is suffering the fall out of an incident that is causing nearly hour long delays. I heard it was a fatality. Maybe it a suicide on the tracks?

I remember the weekend before Thanksgiving when a southbound train struck someone somewhere south of LA union station and caused 4+ hours of delays systemwide. Yet the incident somehow escaped the news media. Usually the news are very quick to report whenever a collision or fatality occurs on the tracks.
I'm sorry, but fatalities happen almost daily, and it's hardly newsworthy... And if surrounding trains were only delayed a little over an hour by another train's strike, that is quite good.

These types of incidents have been becoming more and more frequent along the LOSSAN corridor it seems. Then again, I've been seeing lots of incidents of people wandering the freeways of SOCAL lately so I guess its no surprise that there wouldn't be more trespassing incidents on the rail.

I guess its probably not a fatality, or otherwise trains would be delayed for at least 4 hours for the coroner to arrive and for the tracks to be cleaned up. Apparently it is a mechanical issue with one of the trains. Information given by twitter or by station agents can often be inaccurate.

I'm sorry, but fatalities happen almost daily, and it's hardly newsworthy... And if surrounding trains were only delayed a little over an hour by another train's strike, that is quite good.
Yeah, I follow the Surfliner twitter account and they'll tweet whenever this happens in order to inform passengers of delays. Unfortunately this is almost a daily occurrence on the Surfline alone. And like Triley said, a one hour delay is actually really good. Normally you can expect around 3 hours.

Triley's right. This kind of stuff happens pretty much all the time, and usually the media just doesn't bother mentioning it. And if there was indeed a fatality, under one hour delays are not bad at all.

Back