Identification Policy URGENT

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maren

hey, I bought an Amtrak ticket for my boyfriend from st. louis, mo to warrensburg, mo; but he is having trouble locating his ID. If he has a valid ticket in his name and boards the train, what happens if he is asked for his ID and doesnt have it?

I rode all over the eastern US back in september, and nobody asked for my ID on the train. The only time they did, was when I picked up the ticket. I dont think it would be a problem, but I'd carry some form of ID, just in case, if I was him.

Just cause you never got carded doesn't mean her boyfriend won't. Some members of this forum have been carded. pennyK said on her train they asked everyone for there ID which is against Amtrak policy. Its supposed to be random.

Just cause you never got carded doesn't mean her boyfriend won't. Some members of this forum have been carded. pennyK said on her train they asked everyone for there ID which is against Amtrak policy. Its supposed to be random.
That is why I said simply call Amtrak. They may be able to suggest some form of identification that would be considered acceptable.

Her question could also be a roundabout way of asking how somebody can travel Amtrak if they are here illegally, and thus would have no ID.

That is why I said simply call Amtrak. They may be able to suggest some form of identification that would be considered acceptable.

Her question could also be a roundabout way of asking how somebody can travel Amtrak if they are here illegally, and thus would have no ID.

he is not an illegal immigrant, or a terrorist. just a teenager who cant find their drivers license or anything of equivalence. i just want to make sure that if he gets on the train that they wont just kick him off somewhere. but, he is not here illegally.

he is not an illegal immigrant, or a terrorist. just a teenager who cant find their drivers license or anything of equivalence. i just want to make sure that if he gets on the train that they wont just kick him off somewhere. but, he is not here illegally.
Sorry. I have seen some really interesting attempts to circumvent various laws.

A school ID might be a work around in this situation. But calling Amtrak is the best way to get a clear answer IMHO. Showing up and hoping not to be asked could lead to hassles.

totally understood, im just trying to make sure he wont get stranded somewhere. I would call but I thought this might be easier.

Since you bought the ticket, is his ticket in his name or yours? I would think that one of the "triggers" that would cause a conductor to ask for ID, is if it is overly obvious that the person holding the ticket doesn't match the name on the ticket (ie, a black guy who's ticket has the name Mary Operseski).

Um...can't he just go get a replacement ID?
This is what I was going to suggest. With the apprent need for increased security on all forms of transportation it is good to always have some form of ID with you at all times!

Just saw your post about not having enouh time. With that being the case the recommendation to call Amtrak and ask makes sense or just take your chances!

Last edited by a moderator:
If he's a teenager, does he still have a school ID? That would work if it has a photo on it.

And a passport is acceptable ID also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or go on the internet/PowerPoint/Publisher, make your own ID, take it to Kinkos/FedX, have it laminated, and bingo you are done. As long as you don't put erroneous or misleading info on it, you can make any kind of ID you want. OBVIOUSLY, you cannot try to make a "copy" any government issued or company ID.

But businesses, schools, and other organizations make their own ID's every day. Just an alternative.

When my son flew on SWA recently, he was too old to for the Unaccompanied Minors program, but I wanted him to have a photo ID. So I made one.

Something like THIS.

well, hes on the train right now, and he decided to just take his chances and wing it. im hoping i dont get a call from him saying hes stuck some place random because they made him get off. does anyone know what they do if they ask for the ID and he doesnt have it?

well, hes on the train right now, and he decided to just take his chances and wing it. im hoping i dont get a call from him saying hes stuck some place random because they made him get off. does anyone know what they do if they ask for the ID and he doesnt have it?
The id check occurs when tickets are lifted or before boarding. If his ticket was taken then he should be ok. In the future he should always have an id. IMHO he should get use to carrying a wallet with id all of the time. This is a life skill that will

eliminate these kinds of hassles.

trust me he won't do anything without a wallet after this incident. but you're saying they won't just make him get off somewhere?

Trouble finding an ID? Oh please. Driver's license? Voter registration? Passport? C'mon...

Last edited:
If he were asked to show ID and explained to the conductor he lost his wallet/ID and he was a teenager traveling alone I think the conductor would smile and tell him the future he should always make sure to travel on Amtrak with a valid ID. Very unlikely he would be put off the train.

If he were asked to show ID and explained to the conductor he lost his wallet/ID and he was a teenager traveling alone I think the conductor would smile and tell him the future he should always make sure to travel on Amtrak with a valid ID. Very unlikely he would be put off the train.

alright, that makes me feel a lot better. when he gets here were going to get him a new ID so he has it for the trip back. i havent heard from him so im assuming hes doing fine. im still worried though, hopefully the conductor is very understanding.

alright, that makes me feel a lot better. when he gets here were going to get him a new ID so he has it for the trip back. i havent heard from him so im assuming hes doing fine. im still worried though, hopefully the conductor is very understanding.
The key here is to remember conductors are people to, and while some have pretty gruff attitudes and seem unapproachable many are friendly, and understanding. They understand that things happen, and as long as he can produce a valid ticket he should have nothing to worry about.

yes, he does have a vaild ticket, and its in his name. I hope hes okay, ill make sure to post what happens.

Hope he isn't driving without his driver's license. The cops wouldn't be nearly as understanding as Amtrak, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back