Ideas sought - West Coast to Maine!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are planning on booking a sleeper for any part of your trip and there is some flexibility in your travel dates, AmSnag... http://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php ...will let you pick a travel date with the cheapest sleeper.
That's not the current version. You want this page.
I'm well aware that my link is not to the current version. I recommend the older version to those who may be newcomers to AmSnag because I deem the older version easier to use than the current version. Now that the OP has links to both versions she can make up her own mind about which she wants - without you telling her which one she wants, thank you.
default_angry.png
Except for the fact that the OP is traveling with her step-mom, and that version only lets you see prices for one person.
So what? Assuming the OP knows how to add and multiply, just apply any applicable discount to the low bucket coach fares (i.e., X 0.90 for Seniors), select the sleeping accommodation(s) and add them together. Too complicated? Then use version 2.02.

The only advantage for me in using Version 2.02 is that the Fare Watch feature of the Original version seems to be dead.

If you are planning on booking a sleeper for any part of your trip and there is some flexibility in your travel dates, AmSnag... http://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php ...will let you pick a travel date with the cheapest sleeper.
That's not the current version. You want this page.
I'm well aware that my link is not to the current version. I recommend the older version to those who may be newcomers to AmSnag because I deem the older version easier to use than the current version. Now that the OP has links to both versions she can make up her own mind about which she wants - without you telling her which one she wants, thank you.
default_angry.png
Except for the fact that the OP is traveling with her step-mom, and that version only lets you see prices for one person.
So what? Assuming the OP knows how to add and multiply, just apply any applicable discount to the low bucket coach fares (i.e., X 0.90 for Seniors), select the sleeping accommodation(s) and add them together. Too complicated? Then use version 2.02.

The only advantage for me in using Version 2.02 is that the Fare Watch feature of the Original version seems to be dead.
How do you know that they'll be able to see and identify the low bucket coach fares? AmSnag doesn't itemize that stuff. So they'd have to track down the base rail fare, add that to the fare for one person, and calculate the cost from there. Does that really seem easier than just using version 2.02?

The ride from NYP (New York Penn Station) to Boston isn't particularly scenic, but there really aren't any better alternatives.
Don't really agree with this statement. Sit on the right side of the train going northbound and you'll get some pretty views of the New England coastline. Actually more scenic than the Downeaster (Boston to Portland anyway).

Last edited by a moderator:
The ride from NYP (New York Penn Station) to Boston isn't particularly scenic, but there really aren't any better alternatives.
Don't really agree with this statement. Sit on the right side of the train going northbound and you'll get some pretty views of the New England coastline. Actually more scenic than the Downeaster (Boston to Portland anyway).
I agree.

Also, just after leaving New York, as you cross the Hell Gate Bridge you get one of the most spectacular vies of New York City on the left hand side. On the right hand side you will see the Long Island Sound and the north shore of Long Island including a view of La Guardia Airport in the distance, plus a view of Whitestone and Throg's Neck Bridges in the distance.

How do you know that they'll be able to see and identify the low bucket coach fares? AmSnag doesn't itemize that stuff. So they'd have to track down the base rail fare, add that to the fare for one person, and calculate the cost from there. Does that really seem easier than just using version 2.02?
Perhaps you are not familiar with the older version of Amsnag. If I am remembering correctly, it shows the base rail fare (low bucket coach fare) and the fares for the various sleeper accommodations separately or "itemized." There is no need to "track down the base rail fare" - it's right there. In addition, because the base rail fare (per person) is separate, it is easy to calculate any applicable discounts to the base rail fare (as niemi24s pointed out)and come up with the total cost of the desired trip.
Having said all that, I use the newest version of Amsnag because I almost always travel solo. But I know that when I click on the link for the travel date(s) and itinerary I want which takes my to the Amtrak website and then select my allowed discount (person with disability), my final ticket price will be a bit lower than that shown on Amsnag.

So, I concur with niemi24s. The older version of Amsnag would be the easiest, most accurate tool in this case. But, since the OP has stated that she has already ticketed their trip, it is - for them, a moot point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back