Ideas for Additional "Night Owl" Train Service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we follow the "who is going to take the train when there are flights available" theory to its logical conclusion, then all passenger rail service nationwide - except commuter - can be discontinued tomorrow morning.
I didn't say no one would take the train between those destinations. The fact that there is already daytime rail service proves otherwise. I'm just positing that the demand for overnight rail service would be blunted by the fact that travelers have faster, more frequent options that don't require sleeping in a train overnight. Certainly there may be places where it could work.

Wait . . . but sleeping in trains is a good thing!

Yeah, let's get this overnight train to go to SFO.
Between sleeping in a bed that dose not bounce around every which way in a spacious room, vs. in a bed that bounces around in a closet? Well, I guess everyone has different ideas about what is good. :p

:p :D

Which section (SFO or SAC) should get the lounge?

Maybe get a system where the pax going to SFO order a small breakfast box online, and they stock it, while the lounge goes to SAC? Or structure it like 27, where only the sleeper pax get it to SFO, and the lounge goes to SAC? Maybe put in 2 lounges :blink: ? Or nothing at all :unsure: ?

Maybe bring back the platform-side vendors, shouting at pax to buy their stuff? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Between sleeping in a bed that dose not bounce around every which way in a spacious room, vs. in a bed that bounces around in a closet? Well, I guess everyone has different ideas about what is good. :p
As I said in a previous post, the alternative is spending 8-10 hours stuck on a train during awake hours when you can be doing a lot of other things instead (like posting to this board). They still don't have wi-fi on Superliner trains, right?

As I said in a previous post, the alternative is spending 8-10 hours stuck on a train during awake hours when you can be doing a lot of other things instead (like posting to this board). They still don't have wi-fi on Superliner trains, right?
No. The alternative is a less than two hour flight which is usually quite cheap followed by a hotel room at a price point of ones choice, for most people.

I routinely do these sort of trips even for attending day long meetings in the NY/NJ/Washington DC area, from Florida. SFO to LAX is actually even more attractive for doing something like that, or when the HSR starts running to use the HSR instead of the plane. That is what has essentially killed off most of the sleeper service in the EU.

I also think people overstate the comfort of Amtrak sleeping accommodations. The mattresses really are nowhere remotely near as comfortable as a hotel, and the ride can be too rough for many people to sleep soundly. I'm sure many travelers would find four hours in a hotel to be better sleep than eight in a sleeper.

No. The alternative is a less than two hour flight which is usually quite cheap followed by a hotel room at a price point of ones choice, for most people.
A great deal depends on the individual circumstances of a particular trip and one's personal preferences, obviously, but to reiterate, there are often downsides to that inexpensive two hour flight and hotel which make the rail option more attractive. The business person with a morning meeting but who cannot leave work early faces an evening or (very) early morning flight; Head to the airport after work, and possibly not be in your chosen hotel room until midnight or 1 a.m. (maybe five hours sleep). Or, you can go home to your own bed, up at 2 or 3 to catch your flight. You still prefer to fly; That's fine, but you have to realize there are many - perhaps most - people who would possibly be interested in another option (but usually, there isn't one).

Again this all varies from person to person and trip to trip; Sometimes the train is a better alternative, and other times you would be better off flying. That's a big reason to have different modes of transportation and a strong argument in favor of expanded rail service.

Absent any concrete evidence to the contrary I shall cling onto my belief that the circumstances under which a rocking and rolling sleep is more desirable than a short flight and a steady sleep even of a shorter duration in most cases is found to be better by many. I am not denying that for some the case for overnight trains may be good. the question is, is the number of such large enough to justify subsidizing such service over something else. I don't know the answer for certain, to that, but as should be obvious, I suspect not. I am willing to be be disabused of that impression.

As you can see, i challenge you to show that "perhaps most - people who would possibly be interested in another option". There is considerable evidence in Europe that such is not the case. I doubt that it is any different in the US. It is a pipe dream of rail lovers IMHO, and of course I am entitled to one. ;)

I am not denying that for some the case for overnight trains may be good. the question is, is the number of such large enough to justify subsidizing such service over something else.
Precisely. On the vast majority of short to medium haul routes, I'd think there should be at the very least 2x/day "daytime" service before an overnight run would merit serious consideration.

I am not denying that for some the case for overnight trains may be good. the question is, is the number of such large enough to justify subsidizing such service over something else.
Between most any two business destinations, there range from several to several dozen flights to choose from, each with perhaps hundreds of seats. Even in a railfan "pipe dream", we are generally talking about being able to sell one "overnight" train on each route (in many cases, this would double frequencies from the current one train per 24 hours!). You don't need a megapolis such as the Northeast Corridor to fill some 236 coach seats and 15 sleeper rooms (typical eastern capacity). Virtually everyone could stick to the airlines and you would still have a sold-out train. You don't even need to make a significant dent in market share; You just need enough passengers to fill your 250 or so seats. Amtrak's existing overnight long-distance trains already do this, and they are only incidentally "overnight services" between major (business) destinations.

As you can see, i challenge you to show that "perhaps most - people who would possibly be interested in another option". There is considerable evidence in Europe that such is not the case. I doubt that it is any different in the US. It is a pipe dream of rail lovers IMHO, and of course I am entitled to one. ;)
Europe is not a valid comparison, and we cannot draw meaningful conclusions about what would or would not work in the United States from such observations (that doesn't stop many persons from making the comparison, of course). There are too many fundamental differences between American and European transportation infrastructure (lack of high speed rail, auto usage, generally poor public transportation, extent of transportation mode integration, etc.) to draw any real conclusions, let alone societal, cultural, and geographic differences (among others).

On the vast majority of short to medium haul routes, I'd think there should be at the very least 2x/day "daytime" service before an overnight run would merit serious consideration.
I don't disagree at all. In fact, I would assume this would ordinarily be a prerequisite for regional short/medium distance corridor operations. When there is currently but a single train (per 24 hours), however, I would expect that a second train would attract some intermediate point passengers regardless of the time scheduled (as current overnight long-distance trains already do).

Oh I agree that Europe is not the best comparison. But then in US there is zero tradition for using trains for too much of anything outside a few corridors, and those are mostly daytime. So there is nothing to compare with except for us railfans warm and fuzzy feelings based on our nostalgic experiences. ;)

When a comfortable fixed-in-place room costs a minimum of $300 (I'm looking at NYC here), and you have to fly into one of the infamous NYC airports, and get a taxi to get back downtown?
I know people who *couch-surf* on stranger's apartments in order to afford to visit NYC. I think their own *Amtrak seat* overnight would probably be preferred!

If your alternative is to fly into in NYC the day before and get a hotel room, it's cheaper to take the train overnight *by sleeper* and quicker too!

Yeah, lots of people will take a sleeper from upstate NY (or Ohio) to NYC if they can arrive in NYC in the early morning (NO NYC HOTEL) and leave in the late evening (NO NYC HOTEL).

I do think NYC is special in this regard, due to the very high hotel prices. Boston also has very high hotel prices, but (for example) Chicago and LA don't. This is why doubling the LSL *in particular* on a 12-hour-reversed schedule has a stronger overnight market than other overnight suggestions.

Daytime service in Ohio, of course, has its own (strong) market.

The schedule I proposed is flexible enough to adjust to a rerouting over the Michigan Line should that be deemed appropriate.

Yup, the typical hotel price is a key parameter.

I can believe many people would take the train overnight to NY specially from many places en route which has no convenient access to air service. But given the hotel prices around airports in the NY area, I doubt that many would from places that have conveniently scheduled air service for typical high density air corridor prices.

Still that makes considering the provision of overnight trains desirable, specially in areas where such conditions arise. But only after daytime demand has been adequately met.

Also to note, we were originally talking about a San Francisco to Los Angeles night train over the Coast Line. Again, that would work well for mid point locations to either end point area. But I suspect that ridership end to end will not be as robust as one would hope. Spirit of California, while it ran, suffered from that problem too. The rich connectivity with other services including California Amtrak Thruway also enhances the usefulness of such.

You don't even need to make a significant dent in market share; You just need enough passengers to fill your 250 or so seats.

Filling those seats (and bunks) is not the problem. You could price everything at $10 and sell out the train every night. The challenge is doing it in a way that makes sense fiscally. Perhaps it can be done. I suspect it's a hard sell, but I would be happy to be proven wrong.

You don't even need to make a significant dent in market share; You just need enough passengers to fill your 250 or so seats.

Filling those seats (and bunks) is not the problem. You could price everything at $10 and sell out the train every night. The challenge is doing it in a way that makes sense fiscally. Perhaps it can be done. I suspect it's a hard sell, but I would be happy to be proven wrong.
I would say to have a "cheaper" overnight train, you could go no sleeper (Night Owl works without sleepers) or have sleepers and no diner car (the Three Rivers to my knowledge never had one). Do diner cars pay for themselves? How about sleepers?

I don't know what types of car pays for itself, but one of the arguments on this thread is that some business travelers would prefer to spend the night in a sleeping car and arrive at their destination city in the morning, rather than flying in the night before and spending $300 (or whatever) on a hotel. If you remove the sleeping car from the equation, the target market really becomes leisure travelers, who would be more price-sensitive.

Filling those seats (and bunks) ... The challenge is doing it in a way that makes sense fiscally.
... you could go no sleeper (Night Owl works without sleepers) or have sleepers and no diner car (the Three Rivers to my knowledge never had one).

Do diner cars pay for themselves? How about sleepers?
Say, are you new around here? :) We've had exhaustive discussions on these matters. Diners make no money. Amtrak uses diners because of the hallowed railroad tradition to supply better food service for the passengers paying more to ride in sleepers on the overnight LD trains.

The sleeping cars apparently do make money. Neroden has made calculations that each additional Viewliner II sleeper will clear something like -- iirc -- a million a year, or half a million for sure (all that from my steadily declining memory). Meanwhile we wait and wait for the CAF order of 25 V II sleepers plus 10 bag dorms (equivalent to another 5 full sleepers). What will 30 more sleepers do for Amtrak?

The Silver Meteor, Silver Star, and Lake Shore Ltd are all at or close to the break-even point -- and the Crescent and our favorite, the Cardinal, are getting closer. Sharing $15 million a year, or more, in added revenue among the five single-level Eastern LD trains could bring them to break-even as a group. Then what would be the excuse to cut LD trains that are not losing money?

Oh, God, I made that calculation so many years ago,... back when the Viewliners were ordered... that I would need to redo it with current numbers. Both costs and ticket prices have changed. Sorry, haven't the time right now.

It's buried deep in the Amtrak Unlimited Archives somewhere.

-----

The big political issue is those damn "fully allocated" costs. If you use true avoidable costs, most of the long-distance trains are profitable already. But when you "allocate" a portion of the costs from the central backshops, reservation system, etc. to them, then they look "unprofitable". This is bogus because if you cancelled these trains those costs would just get reallocated to Acela & Northeast Regional, making *them* look unprofitable.

What Amtrak needs is more train service to spread those fixed costs out over. And politically, Amtrak needs to report the "allocated" fixed costs and the real avoidable costs *separately*. Which they were tasked by law to do in 2008 but they have somehow not bothered to do.

Yup, the typical hotel price is a key parameter.

I can believe many people would take the train overnight to NY specially from many places en route which has no convenient access to air service. But given the hotel prices around airports in the NY area, I doubt that many would from places that have conveniently scheduled air service for typical high density air corridor prices.

Still that makes considering the provision of overnight trains desirable, specially in areas where such conditions arise. But only after daytime demand has been adequately met.
Which it generally has in the Erie Canal Corridor of upstate NY, at least at current train speeds, with the Empire Service... but not in Ohio and Indiana. Which is why I like my idea so much. :)For marketing it to Amtrak it needs a better name than "TWO A DAY" though, I suspect.

Also to note, we were originally talking about a San Francisco to Los Angeles night train over the Coast Line. Again, that would work well for mid point locations to either end point area. But I suspect that ridership end to end will not be as robust as one would hope. Spirit of California, while it ran, suffered from that problem too. The rich connectivity with other services including California Amtrak Thruway also enhances the usefulness of such.
Ah, yes. I think California is a much less fertile area for overnight service.

Oh, God, I made that calculation so many years ago,... back when the Viewliners were ordered... that I would need to redo it with current numbers. Both costs and ticket prices have changed. Sorry, haven't the time right now.

It's buried deep in the Amtrak Unlimited Archives somewhere.

-----

The big political issue is those damn "fully allocated" costs. If you use true avoidable costs, most of the long-distance trains are profitable already. But when you "allocate" a portion of the costs from the central backshops, reservation system, etc. to them, then they look "unprofitable". This is bogus because if you cancelled these trains those costs would just get reallocated to Acela & Northeast Regional, making *them* look unprofitable.

What Amtrak needs is more train service to spread those fixed costs out over. And politically, Amtrak needs to report the "allocated" fixed costs and the real avoidable costs *separately*. Which they were tasked by law to do in 2008 but they have somehow not bothered to do.
Try the attached report on for size. It's almost three years old but I got some very good numbers to work with at the time. I think the average profit per car comes in a little below what you're estimating, but this was in a very specific context as well (VA-NYP/BOS service). I think there's a good case that my collaborators and I also used almost farcially lowballed yield estimates.

Edit: Ok, so I apparently cannot upload .docx files, and a slapped-on copy-paste always looks like crap. Short version: We looked at three options for service using Viewliners. In general, on a load factor of about 60% you ended up with about $650-850k in net contribution on a service needing two "active" cars and possibly one spare. This presumed that you could do a little better than the Capitol Limited in terms of pricing (and such prices were, and still are, not much higher than Regional Business Class and substantially better than Acela First...to say nothing of walk-up prices at airports).

Edit 2: @Philly Amtrak Fan, I think your definition of "works" in re 66/67 is fairly loose. When the sleeper came off about fifteen years ago, revenue crashed so hard that my understanding is that the train was nearly lost. Yes, the train does get business, but my understanding is that it's a stinker in many respects but survives in the context of Amtrak needing it as part of comprehensive-ish service.

Back