Hurricane Earl

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

had8ley

Engineer
I would certainly hope Amtrak has some serious plans to get most of its equipment out of harm's way with Earl racing up the East Coast. At the maybe they should couple up Sunnyside and drag it to at least Syracuse or Buffalo. You don't want to see what a Katrina style hit can do~ I promise you ! And to think how many years it would set the system back if any equipment was to be lost. :help:

One difference between Sunnyside Yard in New York and New Orleans is that Sunnyside is above sea level. The chance of storm surge flooding at Sunnyside is nil.

Where exactly are they predicting katrina style problems? They are suggesting that we might get hit in PVD but its doubtful that we would have widespread flooding like in NOLA. We have a great hurricane barrier that they put down to stop the storm surge from the bay.

Where exactly are they predicting katrina style problems?
It's still way to early for them to seriously predict anything with any major degree of certainty. However, any place between the Carolina's right on up to Maine is currently within the cone of the possible path of the hurricane. Right now, the best guesses are saying that the Carolina's may well see the worst of the effects from Earl, however they aren't predicting a direct hit either for the Carolina's.

Best bet at present is to say that you can pretty much bet on some rain and some windy conditions if you live along the coast between the Carolina's and Maine, however the worst of the storm looks as though it will remain off shore, thankfully.

But hurricanes are unpredictable and things could change at any point.

We'll know a lot more by Wednesday.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are suggesting that we might get hit in PVD but its doubtful that we would have widespread flooding like in NOLA. We have a great hurricane barrier that they put down to stop the storm surge from the bay.
Sure, Downcity PVD is protected by the Hurricane Barrier, but

Best bet at present is to say that you can pretty much bet on some rain and some windy conditions if you live along the coast between the Carolina's and Maine
I live near the coast in South County!
ohmy.gif

I'm watching the weather channel right now, but they havent mentioned anything, how far inbound are they expecting impact? I got a trip coming up to tennessee, and the carolinas. That website shows the eye path, I didnt see the outer rain bands. I just hope it doesnt shut down track, like katrina did
unsure.gif

Not far at all. Maybe some rain and wind at the coast, and some dangerous surf, but that's about it if it continues down the center of track (which it won't).

You'll be fine in TN.

I'm watching the weather channel right now, but they havent mentioned anything, how far inbound are they expecting impact? I got a trip coming up to tennessee, and the carolinas. That website shows the eye path, I didnt see the outer rain bands. I just hope it doesnt shut down track, like katrina did
unsure.gif
At present the projection is that it will stay way out over the sea and only outer bands of it will affect coastal areas. Only Cape Hatteras will come within range of significant mid bands.

The forecast for NJ on wunderground.com is for 40% chance of thunderstorms Thursday night through Saturday morning, and winds no higher than 15mph. Cape Hatteras which is most at risk, has 50% chance of rain Thursday through Friday with max forecast wind speed of 30mph.

Of course all that is still a few days away so things could change either for better or worse before it actually comes to pass.

Ok, heres my itinerary, I wont be able to take the train out, as theres nothing that gets close to where I'm going. I'm going to be (sorry about this
ph34r.gif
) flying to birmingham, to rent a car, where I'm going to drive to gatlinburg. I'm going to spend about a week there, in my condo. Then, I'm driving back to birmingham, to catch the crescent to DC, then the CL, to chicago, and the TE back to fort worth. Idk why I'm concerned with Earl, I'm not going until September, lol. I hear its gonna be near peak fall folliage season in the smokeys, so I wanted to work in some scenery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are hurricanes really a problem for Amtrak?

How strong do the winds have to be, for them to be able to pick up a P42 and toss it?
I don't believe the concern is winds directly knocking over Amtrak equipment, but rather flooding, winds knocking over other things (trees, signals, power lines, etc), power outages, and injuries due to employees and passengers being exposed to dangerous weather conditions.

I don't believe the concern is winds directly knocking over Amtrak equipment, but rather flooding, winds knocking over other things (trees, signals, power lines, etc), power outages, and injuries due to employees and passengers being exposed to dangerous weather conditions.
So, Amtrak could simply stop a train, like at a station, and have it wait there. It doesn't need to move all equipment completely out of the area (like all NE and Acela sets to North Dakota later this week)?

One of the problems with hurricanes is not the wind or even the rain. Amtrak does not own most of the track it operates on. To protect their property, railroads like CSX and NS may remove the crossing gates that could get broken. Thus without gates at grade crossings, Amtrak could not operate a run - even if they wanted to!
rolleyes.gif

So, Amtrak could simply stop a train, like at a station, and have it wait there. It doesn't need to move all equipment completely out of the area (like all NE and Acela sets to North Dakota later this week)?
Well, you would want/need to stop trains at major stations, with some semblance of services available, as it is entirely possible that rail lines could be shut down for a few days. Also, flooding (both from storm surge and extremely heavy rains) may be a great concern in some areas, so it might make sense to try to limit the amount of equipment in those areas. And, as the traveler mentioned, on lines that Amtrak does not own, Amtrak is beholden to what the owner (usually freight railroad) decides, so they may have no choice but to completely shut down in certain areas.

Not quite North Dakota but they did stop the Sunset in San Antonio for Katrina.I just hope you don't get any rain at all but the way you guys are down playing this possible catastrophe indicates that not many of you have experienced a real hurricane.

The only hurricane I have ever really "experienced" is Hurricane Bob from 1991. I was all of 11 years old. :giggle:

But we have absolutely experienced catastrophic flooding (hello, amtrak was completely flooded and the NEC was fvcked just this past spring) and also blizzards and crazy nor'easters, so I think we have a good understanding of what natural disaster can bring.

It is still too early to tell and they are not predicting a direct hit at this point, mostly just storm surge and winds. I don't think it is going to be a catastrophe of Katrina style proportion, or to put it in perspective, that Hurricane in the 1930s that I posted about earlier that decimated Long Island and Southern New England.

Not quite North Dakota but they did stop the Sunset in San Antonio for Katrina.I just hope you don't get any rain at all but the way you guys are down playing this possible catastrophe indicates that not many of you have experienced a real hurricane.
With all the real hurricanes I have experienced, I was smart enough to have a house that was (substantially) above sea level.

I just don't see the need for Amtrak to evacuate all their equipment from the entire east coast. While the trains might stop running, IMHO, they can weather-the-storm in just about any station.

Yes. A hurricane named Gloria passed right over my house. It was not a big deal. Hurricanes mostly are down to Cat 2 or lower by the time they roll by here anyway. This one is also projected to be down to cat 2 and be 50 miles off shore when it passes by here. NJ is outside the probability cone of the Hurricane path. Cape Hatteras is within the cone, and the hurricane will be cat 3 when it passes there, but will still be most likely 20 or 30 miles off shore.

So no - there are no warnings up, and unless the projected course changes drastically, there is unlikely to be much evacuation even of notoriously flood prone areas like Sea Bright, at least so far. I am up on a hill 200' above MSL and am not expecting a Tsunami out of this hurricane to rise that high and roll in 30 miles inland either. The current forecast is for 10mph winds through Friday. Of course that all could change but, given the computer models it looks relatively unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back