How would "you" do this?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

picnic42

Train Attendant
After our long awaited for "Outwest" trip... and finding out we absolutely loved the train experience... we are now planning our next one! This time it will be a "Backeast" trip.

We want to enjoy some winter travels... and have either upstate NY or Vermont ski areas as a destination, only to turn back around and head home (maybe stay a day or two to look around in the winter wonderland of the Northeast)

My "home" station is Cincinnati Oh., but we can begin our journey in Chicago. The biggest drawback about the Cincy station is the very early morning hours of departing and arriving.

How would "YOU" go?

Cardinal? Lakeshore Limited?

What train going north and south?

I would have liked to go to Boston to visit with relatives... but the northerly connections are not very good from there.

Even Providence RI would be great to see a few folks... but again going north is not very easy from that location as well.

We would probably take bedrooms on the LSL or the Cardinal... I believe there are no bedroom accommodations going up north???? (only coach seating?)

We are thinking for February????

The main factor here is the enjoyment of the train... not entirely the destination.

Enjoy your day...

Ralph

It would be a real pain, IMO, to drive to Chicago. I'd just catch the Cardinal out of Cincinnati. The schedule does suck, but I've taken it out of Cincinnati many times, and it really isn't as bad as you would think.

If you want to go to Vermont, I'd take the Cardinal to NYP, stay the night, and then take the Vermonter north. Afterwords, you could head back to NYP, and catch the Cardinal home. If you want to visit relatives, you can take a regional/Acela from NYP to RI, and on to Boston. From Boston, you could either head back to NYP and catch the Cardinal, or take the LSL to Chicago, and transfer to the Cardinal to head back to Cincy.

You're right about the connections not being the greatest, and you'd likely have to stay a night or two in NYP/BOS, but going to all of the places that you want to go to is feasible.

Here's a possible itinerary with all of the places that you want to visit (Vermont and RI/MA included):

CIN-NYP-night-SAB-night-NHV-PVD-night?-BOS-night-CHI-CIN

Trains (in order):

Cardinal(50), Vermonter(56), Vermonter(55), Acela/NE Regional, Acela/NE Regional, Lakeshore Limited(449), Cardinal(51)

Remember, the Cardinal only runs three days a week, so you'll have to plan your overall itinerary accordingly. Since you're staying multiple nights, it shouldn't be a huge obstacle. The itinerary I've provided shows the minimum number of overnight stays required.

Last edited by a moderator:
February is a better time to take a trip, price wise. It tends to be the off-season when it comes to Amtrak travel.

There are sleeping accommodations on the Cardinal, and LSL. The NE Regional and the Vermonter offer coach, and business class seating. The Acela Express offers business class, and first class.

Once you're on the Northeast Corridor (which includes NYP, NHV, PVD, and BOS), you don't really have to worry about a lack of trains. There are plenty of regional trains that run between those cities, and a good number of Acelas also. The crunch spots, connection wise, will be when going in and out of Vermont, but even then, there are still three connecting trains to Boston, and Providence, if you take the Vermonter to New Haven, or Springfield.

By the way:

NYP= New York City

SAB=St Albans

NHV=New Haven

PVD=Providence

BOS=Boston

CHI=Chicago

CIN=Cincy

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cardinal is likely to be cheaper than the LSL. And since you're starting in Cincy, it makes sense to take the Cardinal, so William's suggested route makes sense.

Unfortunately, the Cardinal runs only three days a week, so you may start planning and find that the Cardinal just doesn't work for you, either going out or returning.

If you do end up taking the Lake Shore Limited, don't start in Chicago. Catch the LSL in Toledo. It'll save you both time and money.

Now, if you do take the LSL, you have LOTS of options at the eastern end. Don't go all the way to NYC.

I found this map of upstate NY ski resorts: http://www.iskiny.com/explore-new-york/mountains . Compare it to the Amtrak map and you'll see how many options you have.

In addition to the locations which are near the LSL route, you can change trains to the Adirondacker (heading towards Montreal) at Albany, or to the Ethan Allen Express (to Vermont) at Albany, or to the Vermonter at Springfield MA. There's also a connection to the Saratoga & North Creek tourist line (not an Amtrak route) at Saratoga Springs -- it only runs Friday-Monday, but that line takes you to North Creek where the Gore Mountain ski resort is.

Anyway lots and lots of choices without going through NYC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back